Old vs. New Model 70's?

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by GaryO, May 31, 2011.

1. TERMINATOR

TERMINATOR AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA (Life), EX Member Safari Club Intl
    Hunted:
    USA (Michigan, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, Nebraska), Namibia, Texas (Ya'll do realize Texas is a country right) and R.S.A.
    Yea, I checked my with the trigger pull scale and all mine are breaking right around 3lbs I personally like it lighter on target rifles but want a hair heavier for guns in the field, although if you are doing it right your safety is never off until you are ready to fire anyway so that might be a bit of redundant thinking. :D

2. Anjin

Anjin New Member

Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Zambia
    Unfortunately, when Remington introduced the 700, the Winchester tooling including that for the 70 was old and some badly needed replacement. The decision was made to cut costs by going to push feed and in several other ways (e.g., pressed checkering) that made the new 70s cheaper to manufacture - and they looked it. Winchester, I understand, had new management from Ford Motor, bean-counter proteges of Robert McNamara. Clearly they were not gun people. It was a disaster, and even the gun writers, often sluts for big firm new products, complained.

I have several pre-64s and I always liked their wonderful form and function. For me, the New Haven, CT (actually, North Haven) and SC 70s were even better because LH was available. Now the FN production of 70s is perhaps the best ever, and thus an excellent choice, since made on the latest CNC equipment, but they do not yet serve the left hand market. As far as I know, all the nicest features and of course the unmistakeable design, appearance and handling remain.

Norm Solberg

3. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    Now if they would just have the good sense to make a Super Grade chambered in 300H&H.....well I'd run over small children and their grandmothers walking down the sidewalk if that's what it took to get one in my cabinet!

4. Anjin

Anjin New Member

Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Zambia
    Well, I wouldn't quite do that, but then I would have to wait for a LH one. <g> It is a cartridge and model I would much like to have.

Norm Solberg