Odd souvenirs and keep sakes from your trip....

TOM

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
Hunted
Africa, Europe, Asia, North America
Does anyone else here keep some odd keepsakes or souvenirs from a successful or meaningful safari?

For instance, I have the two spent .375 casings from my Zim buffalo along with a small cup of dirt from the location that he died. I keep it on my desk at home and can "touch Zim soil" whenever I want.

I have also kept soil from where my giraffe fell (with bow) and a little sample from a particularly fun hunt. I've kept a little rock from my first western hunt years ago (where the antelope fell).

I have some others but will wait and see if i'm the only weirdo that does this stuff....anyone have little mementos or souvenirs from great hunting trips?

Of course you are weird but others do it too.

Casing of new calibers, bullets recovered, a branch that was presented to me at my first hunt.
Pretty standard stuff I keep too.

I know its barbaric, but I get really carried away and have them cut the heads off the animals I shoot so I can keep them. ;)

But yes, the memories of the hunt mean a lot to me as well. I don't do dirt and stones but I have a panga from the Orango mountains and an ax from the Caprivi. And now that I think about it, maybe I do stones as well. My spouse accompanied me in June and came home with about a 5 car tourmaline.

Well gents then i am the only "cave-man" re hunt-mementos.
I do not hunt trophies, just meat for the home, so my collections is somewhat different.
Since i was a young boy i collect the 'sack where the family jewels were' ...

Barbaric...???...not to me - just another memento to add to my collection.

Well gents then i am the only "cave-man" re hunt-mementos.
I do not hunt trophies, just meat for the home, so my collections is somewhat different.

FHM, In June, my spouse and I spent a delightful three days in Swakopmund before heading on to Etosha and then our hunting destination near Omaruru. Even spent a morning quad biking out in the dunes. We had a ball.

And yes, that collection might fall into the fetish catagory!

I usually collect knick knacks from the souvenir shops. I got a really nice leather belt last time in Africa...wish I had bought 2 more! They were only $5 and they work nice! I really like wood carvings on a small level...so I can put it on a self or something. There is a awesome shop on the coast in Port Elizabeth...that I wish was a few steps away right now! I picked up some elephants holding trunks. SS Pro Safari sells carvings made from bones from animals...and I wish I could have filled my suitcase full....Oh well...maybe next time. I have a fly swatter that is made from a oryx tail and one from a black wildebeest too.

I do keep the scrotum from my buffalo right on my desk, which is made into a pencil holder.

I bring home rocks to add to my great grandfathers rock collection.
Africa, 5 European countries, artic circle and all over the U.S.

FHM, In June, my spouse and I spent a delightful three days in Swakopmund before heading on to Etosha and then our hunting destination near Omaruru. Even spent a morning quad biking out in the dunes. We had a ball.

And yes, that collection might fall into the fetish catagory!

Wow man RL you were on the doorstep of my village!!!
I do not know which quad-bike operators you used, but the one just before Longbeach (between Swakop and Walvis Bay) is 500 meters from my domicile! Next time let me know in advance so we can exchange contact numbers and me and you and 'Docman' (live in Walvis Bay) can have a get together quickly over a few oysters and couple of Jaggermeisters:heh:

Regarding the 'fettish' matter...nhaaaaaa!:nonono:

Last edited by a moderator:
I do keep the scrotum from my buffalo right on my desk, which is made into a pencil holder.

Respect !
Dunno what is this 'fettish thing' some okes are on about....

I've got my cape buff scrotum tanned and used as a "peanut" dish.

Tom,
I brought home some thorns under my skin, a couple blisters on top of one foot, and a toenail fungus from having wet feet for ten days. Do these count? LOL!:biggrin2:

I have a really nice kangaroo sack. I keep it in my car. The taxidermist tag is still attached with the words 'kangaroo scrotum' written on it. Always good for laughs with the friends!

Wow man RL you were on the doorstep of my village!!!
I do not know which quad-bike operators you used, but the one just before Longbeach (between Swakop and Walvis Bay) is 500 meters from my domicile! Next time let me know in advance so we can exchange contact numbers and me and you and 'Docman' (live in Walvis Bay) can have a get together quickly over a few oysters and couple of Jaggermeisters:heh:

Regarding the 'fettish' matter...nhaaaaaa!:nonono:

That's the one. No one else there that day, so we had the dunes to ourselves. Drove over to Walvis Bay to see the bloody flamingos, but they had vanished. We stayed in a bed and breakfast owned by our PH's family (Nick Nolte) and really enjoyed ourselves. The seafood was fantastic, and having grown up on the Gulf coast, I can be very critical. Nancy did her best to personally support the Namibian economy by making significant investments in baskets and bracelets. She got a real kick out of bartering with the Ovahimba women for bangels - tough looking gals.

Tom,
now that is inventive - you gave me an idea for peanut holders on my bar-counter:wink:

Red Leg,
I know Nick, not personally though. Yeah - those Ovahimba women are scary, some say they still eat their meat raw in the Kaoko region....:censored:

TOM

You the man I now have an idea to add to my thoughts when I remember my hunts.
Great idea!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom,
now that is inventive - you gave me an idea for peanut holders on my bar-counter:wink:

Red Leg,
I know Nick, not personally though. Yeah - those Ovahimba women are scary, some say they still eat their meat raw in the Kaoko region....:censored:

Whats strange about eating raw meat?!....biltong is just raw spiced meat! Our favourite southern African delicacy!:cool:

As a PH spending a lot of time away from home annually, I used to bring back a memento from each hunt, be it a stone arrow point, an old Martini Henry case found next to a new 30/378 one or an Elephant tooth shed. I used to hide them in my hunting box along with the biltong for my daughter to find! She couldn't wait to see the hidden treasures and would frantically unpack the box at the end of each hunt when I got home! Over the years she has accumulated a collection of odds and ends that still mean something to her...there's always a story that goes with each one and they're great memories! These things are only fun if you share them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross