Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Australian Deer Association, Australian Association of Wildlife Artists
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Namibia, South Africa
Hi all,

A mate and I are kicking around a few ideas for our next Safari, and these two spiral horns seem to be at the top of our lists. I'm researching areas and outfitters, and would like to know some suggestions to short-list please. I'm also interested to hear what other species might be good to add onto such a hunt.

From what I've read thus far, KwaZulu Natal seems to be the place to go. We very much prefer free-range hunting wherever possible (ie, not high fenced.)

Cheers in advance for your input!!

Tim

Tim
Paw Print has an area that is fenced on three sides so I would say contact Pieter! It's really free range with animals coming and going.
I would perhaps add Sable and Waterbuck to your list!

I thought there was a package just posted for this exact hunt. Not sure if it is free range or not.

Hi Tim,

I personally just returned from a free-range experience in KZN. I hunted with Jacques @AAA Africa Serapa Safaris & Ruan w/ @Hartzview Hunting Safaris. This was my second hunt with these guys. They are awesome. I have a report on here, from just about a week or so ago. You should check it out and look at the pics. It was an amazing experience. I look very forward to hunting again with them. Please feel free to ask questions.

Thanks!

BWH

Hello Blacks,

Bushbuck and nyala both are very worthy game animals.
I have been to where there are plenty of nyala in South Africa 3 times but, I have not taken one yet - "the shifty one" is the nayala's fitting name.
With the right PH, Limpopo District of South Africa is extremely good hunting for both of those species, as well as about 30-something other antelope species.

However, most if not all of the best antelope hunting concessions in Limpopo are in fact fenced (that's undoubtedly why they remain the best).
Before I went to Africa for the first time, I was very skeptical of the game fence thing as well.
However, I was taken to a 96,000 acre (40,000 hectare?) fenced property in Namibia and only saw the fence the day I arrived and the day I left, (after passing trough the gates and continuing on to the house, it required about 20 minutes to travel the length of the driveway and visa-versa on the way out).
That property had its own small mountain range on it and the land in general was teeming with game.

On my last safari, I went to Limpopo District of South Africa and hunted the buffalo shown in my avatar, likewise it was on about the same size of property but, this concession was fenced only on 3 sides.
The unfenced side was delineated by The Olifants River, with The Kruger Park beginning on the far bank.
Again, I only saw any fence on the way in and on the way out, and as to be expected, game was quite plentiful.
Among many non-dangerous game animals abundant there, we also saw quite a few elephants, hippos and crocs, as well as a lioness who bolted away from thick cover, to get away from our human stink no doubt.

Conversely, there are a few huntable properties in South Africa which, are not game fenced and if you scratch around in this forum thoroughly enough, you will likely find the right outfit here to guide you on one or more of them (BWH has already recommended one of them in the KZN that he is familiar with).

Good luck and safe travels,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
You guys better not count out Mozambique. 30"+ Nyala are a real possibility; they also have the Chobe Bushbuck.

Mkhuzi is a park in KZN, a portion of which is set aside for hunting. No fences, and enormous nyala (not sure about bushbuck). Hunted there last year and I was very impressed. I've shot three nyala, and my son on his first hunt beat all of mine hands down. Wintershoek Safaris - a member of this site - can get you in.

For bushbuck, the Eastern Cape is a fantastic place. Lots of free range bushbuck. Of the Cape variety. You could go north to Limpopo and hunt the Limpopo bushbuck. Or further north yet, and try for the Chobe bushbuck. Lots of choice on bushbuck.

If you have some time, it's great fun to change places. Not only do you get to see more than you would staying only in one place, but you get to hunt in different types of habitat, and indigenous animals.

Many choices to look at for your wishes. As CAustin has talk about we have a place that is fenced on 3 sides but opened along the mountain. May still not be a free range as you like but we do have that. We also have areas we can go to in natal for free range animals. The two animals you asked about are top two I would say for free range areas. Maybe could add common reedbuck,kudu,red duiker,bushpig also. Any other animal you run across I would say decide as you see it if you want to hunt it or not

Just remember all because the place you hunt did not put up fence it does not mean the neighbor did not in SA.

Depending on the time of year you go there is also tiger fishing.

If I can help you more let me know and I will have Pieter get me the info. on what we could offer you in natal.

Nyala and Bushbuck compete for food so they do not do well together on a property.

Kemp Landman (Leeukop Safaris), Neil Uys and Trevor Lake run three different operations in KZN and will be able to give you what you are looking for.

Large properties and free ranging.
77be8e237360bc5e1f19cdb23f527acf.jpg
16cc86cef8bc3e0f056849a2a7dedc87.jpg

Two just under 30.

IMG_3972.jpg
P1000255.jpg

I saw a ton of other game..... It was beautiful country. We also busted bush pigs over bait & by hounds. That is an incredible experience. Lots of great game.... Vaal rheboks, Oribi, eland, reedbuck. It was beautiful country... So glad I went. Free range in sugar cane & timber crops.... Unreal.... No fences, much less high fences for 100 miles. Gnarly!

Nyala has become one of those animals for me, like Sable, that I'd like to hunt free range and endemic. So to me it sure sounds like you're on the right track with KZN.

Yep.... @PHOENIX PHIL got to bust a monster red duiker while in that area of Mkuze & Hluhluwe. It's a totally awesome area. Extremely different where I was 2 days before. Polar opposite topography.... Not literal as desert & artic.... However, considering we were a few hours away from our last camp. Amazing!

Currently on an eastern cape hunt with Game 4 Africa Safaris (http://www.game4africa.co.za/ ). Hunting report will follow next week. So far have been very happy with everything. Lots of kudu for sure and a wide variety of others. Kudu, Nyala and Bushbuck were at the top of both my daughter's and my wishlist. After 6 days of hunting, the only thing missing are the Bushbuck. Today, day 7, we're heading to another property that has better Bushbuck and possibly Eland too. With 4 days to go, I like our chances. Personally, I wouldn't get too hung up about fenced properties, if they are large tracts. That is a large part of what Africa is today. Fenced or partially fenced. I think 20 to 50,000+ acres fenced is still a fairchase hunt.

Currently on an eastern cape hunt with Game 4 Africa Safaris (http://www.game4africa.co.za/ ). Hunting report will follow next week. So far have been very happy with everything. Lots of kudu for sure and a wide variety of others. Kudu, Nyala and Bushbuck were at the top of both my daughter's and my wishlist. After 6 days of hunting, the only thing missing are the Bushbuck. Today, day 7, we're heading to another property that has better Bushbuck and possibly Eland too. With 4 days to go, I like our chances. Personally, I wouldn't get too hung up about fenced properties, if they are large tracts. That is a large part of what Africa is today. Fenced or partially fenced. I think 20 to 50,000+ acres fenced is still a fairchase hunt.
Looks like you are having a great time- been following their posts on FB. Can't wait to read the full report, esp interested to see how you do on bushbuck!

Been some great reports on Trevor Lake. Good place to consider. East Cape has some nice animals and can be a fun place to hunt also. Bruce

hi get in touch with watervale safaris KZN, one of the great free range nyala and bushbuck areas to hunt, and they have plenty more other species on there large property. i have hunted there the last 4 years and on both species a 100% success . it is a piece of untouched Paradise. they took RW kudu,nyala and busbuck in one day there about a month ago.

Don't feed the troll....... :) Bloody hell I take him on one little trip to Africa and now he's ready to book our next ;)

Cheers,
Mark.

For a 100% free-range hunt for nyala and bushbuck I'd talk to Ray Kemp at Lalapa Safaris on the Eastern Cape. Maybe add in Vaal Rhebuck and Barbary sheep?

Don't feed the troll....... :) Bloody hell I take him on one little trip to Africa and now he's ready to book our next ;)

Cheers,
Mark.

Bwahaha it's a terrible affliction but one that I'm happy to feed ;)

I just shot a nice free ranging bush buck with Justin Cawood from www.arcafricahuntingsafaris.co.za a couple of months ago.. It was in the Limpopo area of South Africa and last year one of my good friends shot a nice nyala with Justin as well in almost the same area..... I can higly recommend !! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois