Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Just thought I'd post some results/thoughts about using these for the first time on our recent hunt with HartzView. In short, I was very pleased with the results.

Austin's Springbok was probably not much of a test for his .308 shooting the 165gr version, and it was a high shot that spined the ram.

On my eland however I was very impressed. I had planned to use my .375 for this big animal, but due to scope issues, I had to use my .300WM shooting the 200 grainers. The first and subsequent shots were all fairly close, roughly 75 yards. However, the first shot was in the lungs with bullet coming to rest under the offside skin, it nearly broke through. A couple of finishing shots to bring the big boy down, but I'm confident that even without those shots the bull was going to go down in a relatively short distance.

My Gemsbok took 3 shots, one to the neck which dropped him and a couple of finishing shots. Two because my first was not where it needed to be. From close range, only the finishing shot to the shoulder completely passed through. Whatever the case, the bull was not going anywhere.

Austin took his impala with a frontal shot that caught the bottom of the heart. Massive blood trail. Bullet did not exit, I'm guessing by the angle it was found in the back end of the animal. Ram went 40 yards and dropped dead.

Having put my scope from my .300WM on my .375H&H, the next animal taken was my Red Hartebeest. As I recall the shot was at 190 yards. First shot was quartering too me, the bull's back end to midway forward was on the ground. A second shot to the now broadside shoulder dropped him for good. Neither bullet exited.

On my blue wildebeest, the shot was 175 yards broadside. One shot to the lungs. Easy to follow blood trail, the impact side was covered in bright red, frothy blood. The bull went roughly 100 yards and dropped. Again no exit of the bullet.

The most impressive performance in my mind was on Austin's eland which he took with his .308 Win, again as mentioned in my hunt report not something I'd recommend. However, the 165gr bullet plodding along at 2600fps at the muzzle broke the shoulder and I'm sure was a mortal shot at 190 yards. It took some finishing shots to bring the bull down. But this was not a long drawn out chase, certainly much credit goes to Jacques' wonderful Jack Russels. But credit must be given to the bullets too. They wounded and kept a very large animal from being able to move with any speed and thus gave the dogs a chance to keep the animal at bay.

With all of the bullets that did not exit, for some reason only two of them made it back into my possession. We just kept forgetting to pick them up at the skinning shed. But here's a picture of two the 200gr .308's that I did get back. Both of them weigh right at 190 grains with perfect mushrooming.

Now with respect to lack of exiting. From my viewpoint, there's two ways to look at this. If you get an exit wound, you of course have another hole to leak out of and makes blood trailing that much easier. But, if the bullet exits, it therefore also has energy. Energy which is now wasted. So at least without the exit you know it's imparted all the energy it had at impact into the animal.

Whatever the case, if the animal dies quickly, that in my opinion is all that matters.

IMG_0297.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say you got excellent performance out of the bullets!

95% Weight retention and all the critters are on the ground.
Sounds good enough to me.
It would have been interesting to see the difference on some heavy bone strikes.

Thanks

95% Weight retention and all the critters are on the ground.
Sounds good enough to me.
It would have been interesting to see the difference on some heavy bone strikes.

Thanks

Yeah, I know the shot to the Blue Wildebeest busted a rib, found a piece on the ground when we were tracking him. The last day there, we went out to the taxidermist and the skinning shed is right by the road, forgot to ask to go in and get the bullets. The engineer in me is disgusted at myself! :mad:

Those are very good bonded core bullets.

And the .405 WCF .411 version make one- of- a- kind jewelry when fired against a 5/8 inch steel plate from 100 yards! Like copper snowflakes, each one is different.
While chronographing loads for my Win 1895 .405 , I shot a lots of them on that plate and gave them to my daughter for jewelry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross