Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
I have a friend that is going to be in Joberg on a work assignment this coming summer at least he hopes that he is going to be over there.

He was wondering just what the requirements would be for him to just go shoot a warthog during the trip. The area that he will be working at is about 1 1/2 hours north east of Joberg at a lake. He doesn't remember the name of the lake but will find out for me.

Does he need to hire a outfitter or can he find a piece of property where he could just go hunt them?

Last edited:
By law a Oufitter. Especially when exporting the trophy.

I was pretty sure about the exporting but wasn't sure on the outfitter part.

I gave him a link to James Jeffrey's hunting agent site but other than that he just needs to find a outfitter that will do just a couple day hunt while he is over there hunting..

Hi @JimP

We have a plains game hunting concessions about 1 1/2 hours out of JHB in the Waterburg area and close to Potchefstroom.

Let me know if I can assist in any way.

Regards,
Adriaan

ALL foreign hunters, by law, have to be accompanied by a PH!!

ALL foreign hunters, by law, have to be accompanied by a PH!!

That seems to the the rule.
If he is working in SA and on a work permit, does it still apply?

If you are a visiting hunter in Zambia i think the same applies that you can only hunt with a ph, but if you are a resident in the country on a work permit or such it does not apply...
Just curious if it makes any difference there as it does here.

You probably will have someone to help with the hunt...yes, but to export the trophy will be a problem!

Hi @JimP

We have a plains game hunting concessions about 1 1/2 hours out of JHB in the Waterburg area and close to Potchefstroom.

Let me know if I can assist in any way.

Regards,
Adriaan

I'll pass along your info to him.

Jim warthogs are quite abundant and one of the easiest hunts to put together in the RSA.

I have a very good friend in Witbank who could put it together for you. I was amazed at how many warthogs we saw during my trip and I was fortunate enough to take a very nice one.

I don't know if I would say that they are the easiest. On my safari last may I was looking for a nice one in the south and just couldn't find it. I talked to the outfitter and he mentioned that the problem with them in his area was that there were too many rocks where they dug their dens. One of my hunting companions ended up shooting two of them and one had real nice tusk. But then they were 4 hours away at a different location hunting fallow deer when he shot them. I looked over a lot of them but only saw 2 that were shooters. One was too far away and the other went into a bush and was never to be seen again.

I still need to go back and see if I can get me one. I am going to do some talking to a buddy next week while we are hunting javelina in Arizona and see if I can talk him into a trip.

That seems to the the rule.
If he is working in SA and on a work permit, does it still apply?

If you are a visiting hunter in Zambia i think the same applies that you can only hunt with a ph, but if you are a resident in the country on a work permit or such it does not apply...
Just curious if it makes any difference there as it does here.
I don't know if I would say that they are the easiest. On my safari last may I was looking for a nice one in the south and just couldn't find it. I talked to the outfitter and he mentioned that the problem with them in his area was that there were too many rocks where they dug their dens. One of my hunting companions ended up shooting two of them and one had real nice tusk. But then they were 4 hours away at a different location hunting fallow deer when he shot them. I looked over a lot of them but only saw 2 that were shooters. One was too far away and the other went into a bush and was never to be seen again.

I still need to go back and see if I can get me one. I am going to do some talking to a buddy next week while we are hunting javelina in Arizona and see if I can talk him into a trip.
You seem to misunderstand me. Putting together a hunt for warthogs is easy since they are so abundant. Finding that perfect trophy specimen of course isn't going to be "easy" as they don't live long enough to get that big by being stupid.

The area where I saw the highest density of warthogs was like you down south in the Karoo but a perfect set of tusks is hard to come by there because of exactly as you say, there are lots and lots of rocks for them to break them on.

I did see however 3 boars in one day I'd have loved to take but one was on a place we didn't have permission to hunt on (saw from the road) and never could quite line up a shot on the other two. Had I been less picky though it would not have been at all difficult to take several.

Just for fun I stalked up to within about thirty yards of a boar/sow pair that were just blissfully feeding along and never noticed me.

In general I'd say though they have better sight capabilities than our wild hogs here in the US and can certainly cover a lot of ground in a hurry when spooked.

Shooting a warthog shouldn't be a problem, finding a warthog won't likely be a problem.....but finding a big one most likely will be a problem. I have hunted in 4 trips to Africa for one and don't have a nice one to my credit, it seems warthogs always have a escape plan when I'm in Africa.

He would need to hunt through an outfitter accompanied by a PH according to local legislation.

He would need to hunt through an outfitter accompanied by a PH according to local legislation.

There you have it!!

Shooting a warthog shouldn't be a problem, finding a warthog won't likely be a problem.....but finding a big one most likely will be a problem. I have hunted in 4 trips to Africa for one and don't have a nice one to my credit, it seems warthogs always have a escape plan when I'm in Africa.

There is a reason some of them get so big, they now when to run/hide!! One day that one big tusker will make a mistake and you will have him on your wall!!
I have had a very good one on bait for about two weeks coming everyday at about the same time. Then two days before my client arrives he went AWOL, never to be seen for the duration of the hunt!! One day is one day then the wheel will turn!!

I hear you Gerrit, some day I might have to schedule a single safari around getting a nice BIG warthog because if I don't I'll regret for the rest of my days on this Earth.

I hear you Gerrit, some day I might have to schedule a single safari around getting a nice BIG warthog because if I don't I'll regret for the rest of my days on this Earth.
I know exactly how you feel. I have wanted a big boar for most of my life, since my earliest days of watching TV shows like "Wild Kingdom".

I saw a true "monster" for all of about 15 seconds towards the end of my hunt and he still haunts me. If he's still around when I get back I would easily spend the bulk of my trip just trying to get a shot at him.

Fortunately the landowner is just a "Friend of a Friend" who doesn't generally even allow much hunting on his place other than for friends and family so I might just be lucky enough to see him again.

I've killed literally hundreds of big wild hogs here at home but there's just something about a warthog boar that has me hooked.

This warthog just totally popped up unexpectedly in the long grass and hightailed it into a burnt out area. We ran after it for about 100yds or so and he stopped and swirled around to look back ( as they do) and gave me just enough time to get onto the sticks and whack him in the chest... 300WM with 180gr soft. ( Tanzania 2005)
warthog 1.JPG

A foto of this same warthog mounted in my trophy room ( Brazil home before we moved back to RSA)
Warthog Brazil trophy room.jpg

Very nice and a similar story to mine. We were on a foot stalk looking for a big impala when mine popped up into view. The toughest part was finding a clear lane to shoot through the brush.

Very nice and a similar story to mine. We were on a foot stalk looking for a big impala when mine popped up into view. The toughest part was finding a clear lane to shoot through the brush.
Yes... in this case of mine the warthog ran and when he turned and stopped, it was SLAP BANG IN THE MIDDLE of the ONLY open "lane " through the trees and burnt grass... how lucky was that!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg