Non PHASA PH

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by tiss kocovsky, Jul 13, 2014.

1. tiss kocovsky

tiss kocovsky AH Member

Member of:
    SCI, WWA
    Gentleman, ladies, and other non-trolls,
    One of the outfits I am still considering has a non PHASA listed PH. Should this be a red flag for me? Is this an indication of a poor quality pro or am I making a baobobtree out of a twig (hey-an African euphamism)? What exactly is the role of the ph association? Is it a certification board or just a listing?
    Thanx again for the help, and as usual
    GO BADGERS!
    Tiss

2. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan South Africa
    It means to dig a little deeper and do more research than normal. I would suggest asking about the specific company/PH on this forum as well,as perhaps another one or two. It means talking to some of this years and last yrs clients. Ask lots of questions. Plenty of very good companies that are on this forum with lots of very good references. Don't have a bad trip by trying to save 5 percent of the trip expense. There are too many GOOD outfits out there to take a chance on one you don't fully trust. Bruce

3. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    The main thing is they have a valid PH and outfitter license. If they are a PHASA member and you have a problem they come in and straighten problems.
    It is not a requirement, just check references.

4. Bushwack

Bushwack AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
    Like enysse says,

Check references and his license's.

You don't have to be a member of PHASA (at this stage) to be a reputable Outfitter or PH. Members with criminal records are still members of PHASA...remember the book: "Killing for Profits..."

Jumbo likes this.
  5. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Bushwack is correct, plenty of crooks have been involved in PHASA.

Reputation is key. And being a member of PHASA is not cheap.

6. billc

billc SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    united states canada mexico south africa
    I guess it is suppose to be another safe guard for hunters.Dont think it means a member is any better then a non member just means they paid there money to be a member.I dont think in the end they have any more teeth to bite anyone if you have problems with your hunt.For me it means nothing I do my own research and decide from that.

7. Royal27

Royal27 GOLD SUPPORTER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA - Zim - SA (Next!)
    Look at it this way. Being a member of PHASA is like being a member of the BBB here in the States. It is a good sign, but membership doesn't mean that there won't be a problem, nor does lack of membership mean that you won't have an outstanding experience.

As others have said, check references regardless!!!

8. Nyati

Nyati AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
    I´ve hunted with excellent PH´s who are not members of PHASA.

For them it is not worth the expense.

9. CAustin

CAustin AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    The license for the outfitter would be my concern?

10. Limcroma Safaris

Limcroma Safaris SPONSOR AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    PHASA, SCI, DSC, NRMEF.
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Botswana.
    Royal27, I agree with your point, however, there are some very positive aspects of PHASA that deserve due consideration... Obviously, you can have a few bad apples in ANY group or organization.... One of PHASA's main objectives is to hold its membership to a higher standard with the highest value placed on ethics and professional conduct within the South African hunting industry. PHASA has a strict code of conduct whereby the membership is subject to a disciplinary oversight process..... Does that make every member a perfect angel? Of course not, but it does go a long way in ensuring that PHASA members are by and large, honest, ethical hunters and businessmen.

In addition to promoting and protecting the South African hunting industry, PHASA is also a conservation organization. They work with many governments at all levels to shape laws regarding the preservation of hunting. They also work closely with SCI and many other international conservation groups to protect and promote the wildlife that is the industry's life blood. Furthermore, they are recognized by these governments and organizations as the one who sets the standard for ethics, and competency of PHs worldwide.

PHASA also offers assitance to hunters traveling to South Africa. For example, if your PH didn't show up to meet you at the airport for some reason, A traveling hunter can call PHASA and they would be available to offer assistance and accommodation if necessary until arrangements and contacts can be made...

For me personally, I like that fact that the PH and Outfitter that I am hunting with is a member of an organization that promotes ethics, hunting rights, and conservation.... It says something about an individual who is actively involved in preserving their own industry. But that's just my take on it..

And most definitely, check references...!