Next Safari Rifle

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by MSTJEAN, Mar 2, 2013.

1. MSTJEAN

MSTJEAN New Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI/Magnum Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    US,Canada,UK,Mexico,Mozambique
    All,
    Looking for some insight and opinion. I am returning to Africa next year for my second Buffalo/PG hunt as well as Australia for WaterBuffalo. I have a O/U 9.3X74r I used on my first safari and am looking to upgrade to something bigger .375 +. I have been looking at BRNO ZK602(.375)/Sako Brown Bear/Kodiak(.375) and CZ 550 Safari or Express in .375-.404-416 range. Primary use will be Africa & Australia and big bears. My main concerns are reliability and strength. Barrel length and cosmetics are secondary. I would appreciate pros and cons on these models. Kind regards, Mike

[​IMG]
  2. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    I don't know to much about the Sako, but your other choices are wonderful. The .375 or .404 are nice! Anything in the .416 and up is a lot of power and the gun better fit you like a glove...especially with hot loads.
    But you probably should move up to something more since you own the 9.3x74. 458 Win.,416 Rem., 416 Rigby are pretty easy to find.
  3. desertloper

desertloper AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    RSA
    I just handled (drooled) on the Wincheter Model 70 safari express today, albeit it was the cabelas anniversary addition-fancy wood. Super smooth, will be ordering one soon-trigger is nice, only wish would be more than 3 cartridge capacity...advantage CZ.
  4. greyfox

greyfox AH Senior Member

I have an older model SAKO AV 375 H&H, Love it, but I HAVE NOT TAKEN NOT TO AFRICA yet!!!

So I cannot comment on how it feels and performs in Africa!

On another forum someone made the analogy that closing the SAKO action is like closing the drivers door on a Mercedes... solid, firm, and you know your into something before you start the engine...

375 H&H's over 100 years old, still considered to be the best all around Africa cartridge by many, still getting th e job done.

Howver, I've heard alot of good things about the 416 family too.
  5. Nyati

Nyati AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
    Sako s are great guns, I have owned several.

The .375HH will do the job and it s recoil is very manageable. Bigger is better, however, you will pay for it with increased recoil which might be uncomfortable, so I suggest you try them before.