Newcomer to hunting in Africa

Dan Petrescu

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My name is Dan Petrescu. I am Romanian but have lived in US, Asia and now in Yaounde, Cameroon for the last eight years. I am an independent consultant on development communication so I am fortunately flexible with my time. In my list of passions (other than my family and work) hunting comes first, followed by scuba diving, fishing and observing and nurturing nature. I was lucky to meet Loodt Büchner on Facebook who recommended I join this community.

As a hunter I tend to prefer small game, preferably in company of my pointer, that I raised and trained myself (NAVHDA - Utility Dog Prize). In Romania and US I loved to go for quail partridge, pheasant, hare, etc and also waterfowl. That being said, I will go out a few times a year to get a boar, stag or roe deer...

Although I have travelled extensively on business in Africa I have not hunted it...so from this point of view I am a newcomer and I would welcome advice on how I can pursue my hunting passion here in Cameroon. Thank you!

Welcome to the forum @Dan Petrescu

You have come to the right place to find out more about hunting Africa and especially Cameroon! Feel free to ask questions and participate in other threads as well.

Chime in and make lots of new friends.

Regards,

Loodt Buchner

Welcome to AH! Birdhunting over pointing dogs are one of the passions we share. I am sure you will obtain all the information you may need on AH!

Welcome to AH Dan, Loodt gave you great advice to join. Enjoy!

Welcome!

You'll love it here. Great place to both learn and meet new friends!!!

Welcome to AH.
Plenty of hunting in Cameroon.
I look forward to hearing about your new exploits.

Welcome to AH.jpg

Welcome!

Hi Dan,

Welcome to AH, looks like you have a good place to start hunting now.

With some flexibility you have the ability to discover a few additional countries.

Welcome from Alaska to the best forum.

Welcome to AH, Dan!

Thank you all for the warm welcome.
I will start this month to get on with my paperwork to get my gun and hunting licence and see what is available around here. In the meantime please let me know of anyone outfitter, hunter that shares my hunting preferences in this area. Thank you all again

Welcome to AH Dan! Enjoy the site.

Welcome to AH Dan.

I have not met Cam Greig but he does some selfguided hunts in Cameroon. You may want to contact him for more info on hunting there.

http://www.selfguidedafrica.com/about-bombazi

James Jeffrey is a member here. He may have some information for you as well.

http://huntingagent.com/

There are probably others but this is where I would start.

Looking forward to how your hunting goes.

All the best.

Welcome to AH! Birdhunting over pointing dogs are one of the passions we share. I am sure you will obtain all the information you may need on AH!
Thank you, Pieter
However, my searches until now don't show a lot of interest of the memebers in our mutual passion. I can understand partly why that is so: High vegetation, snakes and other dangers for the dogs ( and we know how difficult and lengthy can be to train a good dog, not to mention the emotional aspects) etc. It may be worth opening a discussion thread...

Thank you, Pieter
However, my searches until now don't show a lot of interest of the memebers in our mutual passion. I can understand partly why that is so: High vegetation, snakes and other dangers for the dogs ( and we know how difficult and lengthy can be to train a good dog, not to mention the emotional aspects) etc. It may be worth opening a discussion thread...

Dan ,I have opened this thread.

welcome to th AH community ,dan .
could post some pictures of your dog in action ,mate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross