Newcomer Ojava lifts his hat and greets AH members

Welcome to AH! Don't worry about your English. Many of us here speak 'Merrican so we understand. :ROFLMAO:

Welcome to AH, Ojava, a kudu was one of the animals I hunted in my first safari.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome! You have definitely come to the right place

Welcome to AH! Nice to have you as part of our community, really looking forward to your input.

Welcome to the best forum! Enjoy!

Welcome Ojava, This forum has a wealth of information from some extremely knowledgeable folks, enjoy!;)

Welcome to the site. Just a little over a year ago I was in your shoes, i.e. planning an African Safari. In two months my sons and I are going on a 10 day, 6 animal hunt with Cruiser Safaris. Don't worry about your English. Most AH members don't speak Swedish very well. As you look through the site you will notice that there are a number of Swedish AH members. The one thing about Sweden that I love is their 1896 Mauser. I have about a dozen in my safes. Several years ago I decided that each of my grandchildren was going to get a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser for their first deer rifle. I am taking mine to South Africa to use on the smaller animals in our "package."

Welcome to the site. Just a little over a year ago I was in your shoes, i.e. planning an African Safari. In two months my sons and I are going on a 10 day, 6 animal hunt with Cruiser Safaris. Don't worry about your English. Most AH members don't speak Swedish very well. As you look through the site you will notice that there are a number of Swedish AH members. The one thing about Sweden that I love is their 1896 Mauser. I have about a dozen in my safes. Several years ago I decided that each of my grandchildren was going to get a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser for their first deer rifle. I am taking mine to South Africa to use on the smaller animals in our "package."

I hope you have a great journey!

Probably the first time I hear somebody say the 1896 Mauser as what they liked most about Sweden. Impressed by the number you have, more impressed that you are making sure that the grandchildren will be hunting. The future is looking better already!

I hope you have a great journey!

Probably the first time I hear somebody say the 1896 Mauser as what they liked most about Sweden. Impressed by the number you have, more impressed that you are making sure that the grandchildren will be hunting. The future is looking better already!

I have never been to Sweden. I've seen a few pictures. I own a Sandvik steel hunting knife and like it a lot. Those old Swedish Mausers however "take the cake." Taken as a group they will out shoot almost every other rifle I know of. Many Americans use them in what is called the Vintage Sniper Class. I finally found a hand load that takes full advantage of the Swede's capabilities. I'm pushing a 140 Gr. bullet at 2775 fps and getting groups well under an inch at 100 yards.

What game have you hunted in Sweden? What make and caliber of rifle(s) do you own and use?

I have never been to Sweden. I've seen a few pictures. I own a Sandvik steel hunting knife and like it a lot. Those old Swedish Mausers however "take the cake." Taken as a group they will out shoot almost every other rifle I know of. Many Americans use them in what is called the Vintage Sniper Class. I finally found a hand load that takes full advantage of the Swede's capabilities. I'm pushing a 140 Gr. bullet at 2775 fps and getting groups well under an inch at 100 yards.

What game have you hunted in Sweden? What make and caliber of rifle(s) do you own and use?

I have hunted wild bore, fallow deer, roe deer, moose, foxes, hares, badgers, geese and pigeons.

Probably forgetting some species but most of my hunting is for wild bore and deer.

My rifle for a driven hunt or just a stalk in the woods is a Merkel 961. It’s a double rifle (drilling) in caliber 8x57 irs with a 20 shotgun barrel. I have a Swarovski z6i 1-6 on it. With that I feel pretty much prepared for anything. I also have a Merkel double rifle 220e in caliber 9,3x74r. Its from 1940 and it shoots great. On that I have a aimpoint micro. The gun that I’ve used the most is my trusted Tikka t3 varmint in 308w. Have a zeiss 3-12 scope on it. I also have a beretta 686 silver pigeon 12 gauge shotgun and a mauser in 22lr.

Ive never owned a 6,5 but i do have a deactivated old swedish mauser in the wine celler ;)

Welcome and enjoy the ride!

You have a well rounded battery of good guns. I own a drilling that was made in the early 1900s. It has lots of gold inlay and silver etchings. It is a double barreled 16 Ga. with a rifle barrel underneath. I have never fired the gun, it was a "war trophy" that my father brought home in 1946. The only other combination gun that I have is a BRNO Super with a 12 Ga. Mag. shotgun over a 7 x 65R. The "large game" where I live is limited to White tailed Deer and Black Bear. Even though I've seen Black Bear on trail cameras set on my property, I've never hunted them. As a result my hunting is limited to White-tails. I've traveled to Texas and Missouri where I've taken a number of wild boar and Doll Rams.

Check out the Cruiser Safaris web-site. Their 7 day and 10 day packages offer exactly what you are looking for at very reasonable prices.

You have a well rounded battery of good guns. I own a drilling that was made in the early 1900s. It has lots of gold inlay and silver etchings. It is a double barreled 16 Ga. with a rifle barrel underneath. I have never fired the gun, it was a "war trophy" that my father brought home in 1946. The only other combination gun that I have is a BRNO Super with a 12 Ga. Mag. shotgun over a 7 x 65R. The "large game" where I live is limited to White tailed Deer and Black Bear. Even though I've seen Black Bear on trail cameras set on my property, I've never hunted them. As a result my hunting is limited to White-tails. I've traveled to Texas and Missouri where I've taken a number of wild boar and Doll Rams.

Check out the Cruiser Safaris web-site. Their 7 day and 10 day packages offer exactly what you are looking for at very reasonable prices.

We have restrictions on number of firearms you may have for hunting per person. I know it’s probably saved me a lot of money, but I wish we didn’t have that restriction.

Sounds like a nice drilling you got from your dad. What make is it? That age of the gun and coming out of Germany or Ferlach region it’s probably a well made gun. What caliber rifle bullet is it?

16 gage is a lovely shotgun size. Not as easy to get hold of shells for it as with 12 and 20 gage.

I have always wanted to shot a white tail deer buck. We only have them in a wary small part of Sweden, I guess you always want to hunt what is out of reach. We don’t have black bear here either but we do have brown bear.

Thanks for the tip of Cruiser safaris, I will have a look at them also.

Welcome Ojava,your Merkel drilling sounds tasty

welcome to AH @ojava have that drilling checked out by a gunsmith and you will find they are excellent hunting guns

We have restrictions on number of firearms you may have for hunting per person. I know it’s probably saved me a lot of money, but I wish we didn’t have that restriction.

Sounds like a nice drilling you got from your dad. What make is it? That age of the gun and coming out of Germany or Ferlach region it’s probably a well made gun. What caliber rifle bullet is it?

16 gage is a lovely shotgun size. Not as easy to get hold of shells for it as with 12 and 20 gage.

I have always wanted to shot a white tail deer buck. We only have them in a wary small part of Sweden, I guess you always want to hunt what is out of reach. We don’t have black bear here either but we do have brown bear.

Thanks for the tip of Cruiser safaris, I will have a look at them also.

I have no idea what caliber the rifle barrel on my drilling is. I've placed a 7 mm bullet into the bore and found it much to small. I then tried it with a 30 Cal. bullet and it seemed just about right. But that didn't make any sense to me being a German made gun. I just did a quick calculation and 8mm is very close to 30 Caliber. I am now of the opinion that it is an 8 x ???. I had an older German shooting buddy that was going to make a cero safe cast of the chamber but unfortunately he passed away before doing it. Not being familiar with that process I'm unwilling to undertake it myself. I suppose that I could pay a gunsmith to do it. In the next few days I'll try to dig it out of the safe and come up with some more information as to the manufacturer and year it was made. At the moment there are no restrictions on the number of guns we can own, so I can correctly say that I am gun "poor." The trouble is that you can only shoot one at a time. I shoot pistols competitively. I belong to several clubs and normally shoot at least twice a week. My rifle shooting is confined to a few days per year developing a load for a new caliber or confirming my zero for hunting purposes. I enjoy taking my grandsons to the range so they can practice with their Swedes. I got a big kick out of my oldest grandson telling me "Opa, there is no sense wasting any more ammunition, the gun just shoots (Xs).

Do you reload or use factory ammunition? I've been reloading since 1982. I really get a lot of satisfaction taking game with my hand-loads.

My drilling rifle barrel is 30-06 so you never know, but have a gunsmith look at it. I would love to see some pictures of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcdowall

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!