Jackson

Reaction score
Media
Hello I'm jack from montana I'm going on my first trip to South Africa in may I was wondering when I get off the flight in johannasberg do I get my guns before I go threw customs or what I'm a little nervous on how all that works any advice anyone has on how to make things go smooth would be appreciated thanks
Jack

Jack.. Welcome it is a very simple process you will go through customs and go to the firearms desk to collect and capture your paperwork, check out Henry Durheim Rifle Permits - In Support of Conservation Through Hunting

He prearranges your importation, this means that when you get to the firearms desk all your data have already been captured and it cuts down on waiting time, especially if there are a flight or two arriving at once and a couple of guns waiting if you pre arrange you will jump the qeue and be out ahead...

Some guys say it is not needed, I just always reccomend it and it has never failed...

My best always

Your gun will be sent to the SAPS office right outside the Customs and Immigration area. Do the passport check, get a baggage cart for your checked bags, go to the baggage carousel for your flight and get your bags, go to the Customs check out line and then as you leave the Customs area through the doors you will see the SAPS office over on your right (if I remember correctly). Go inside and line up to have your import permit filled out. DO NOT SIGN your SAPS form until you are in front of the official. It must be filled out in black ink. You can download the form and there are instructions available on which sections to fill out before you get to Africa (makes it go faster). You can do it without paying someone to do it for you but if there are 50 hunters on board your flight you may be #50 to get through the line. I've done it my self with no problem. Just remember this is Africa and they work on 'African time". Things move slower there. It ain't McDonald's 3 min service. DO NOT LOSE YOUR IMPORT FORMS. YOU WILL NEED TO TURN THEM IN WHEN YOU GO HOME AND IF YOU ARE CHECKED ALONG THE ROAD YOU WILL NEED THEM
Search my previous posts for more info and several of the more experienced guys here will be chiming in shortly
Welcome

welcome and enjoy the site jack
i remember it it happening just the way cliffy explained and if your taking a bow they dont even need to see it and zero paperwork

Welcome Jack.

When you stand beside the baggage carousel in OR Tambo to get your bags you will bear the baggage handlers whistling.
This occurs every time a firearm comes through. They are whisked to the SAPS office for processing. You will not touch them. If you ask them they will point you in the right direction.

Show up at the SAPS office (it is after Customs and Passport Controls) with your SAPS paperwork ready to be signed and/or use the service as Jaco suggests.

In fact the entrance to the office is outside in the main lobby area. It does seem strange.

Like the guys have said, if you arrive on a plane loaded with hunters you will be waiting a bit.
In all the waiting I have done for people in the airport I have not seen it take that long. It just feels like a looong time after sitting on that plane.

Good luck.

Welcome to the forum, I too am going on my first trip to SA in May. I am using riflespermits.com to deal with the permit process. Everyone I talked to that has gone to SA that has used them or another one has had a good experience.

All you guys going on your first hunt- Good luck and it's a trip you will remember for a lifetime. Nothing like the first African safari. Remember it's "sensory overload" for the first 3 days. Your head will be on a swivel and your neck sore from trying to take it all in.
YOU WILL RETURN!

Jack
welcome to the forum.

When you de plain you will 1st go through customs. I recommend a VIP package for your self and companion for you and your rifle for a 1st time traveler.

After customs you will go to baggage. move to the carousel opening where the bags come out of the back. This is where your bag and rifle will come out. I camp there until i have my bags together and then i let them walk me to bag and rifle 1st check in. VIP will put you ahead of the line here. Also know your bag tag and which tag belongs to each bag as they will ask and record this information.

Now that process is completed your rifle will go to South Africa permit room where you do your paper work and obtain your rifle. You will have to walk up the ramp and turn right and then follow your way back into the small room and wait in line. This is not marked very well for a 1st time traveler, however you can do it, it just takes time.

The VIP process has moved me to the front of customs line the front of the little room line and the front of the line in the small room. Well worth the few dollars spent and you are walked through the entire process by handlers. (a few individuals were pissed at my processing the last time as i was moved to the front of the line) First time i went and did not do this service and i had to wait on the ones who paid for that service.

I apply for my rifle permit ahead of time so it is in place when i arrive in South Africa and all the agent has to do is show your rifle and sign the permit and you are out the door. 1st time with no permit it was 3 hours to get out of the little room and with the VIP permitting spent maybe 5 minutes.

Again this will all depend on what day you fly in to Joberg and how many hunters are on your airplane or landing airplanes.

If time is an issue the prior approval of your paperwork is essential. When you have a business that operates and does this work for clients and they have customers it will put those customers ahead of a single hunter or hunters trying to get through the process on there own.

Welcome to AH, Jack !

Just here to say welcome Jack, i see you have been bombarded with advise- as always when someone need something. Very helpfull site.
Enjoy the trip

Best regards

Hi you can organise the rifle import through PHASA phasa.co.za,this will make it hasselfree.

Welcome to AH!

I will be with Clive Perkins of sportsmans safaries I have however already booked the flight I really appreciate all the helpfull tips everyone has shared with me on this site thanks all

Welcome Jackson. This trip will make you look at hunting at home in a whole new light. As a general rule for your first african safari....take more money and less clothes (packing) than you think you will need. Shoot straight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.