New York Senate Backs Anti-Hunting Legislation

Yes I m sure my taxidermist can receive it by going thru another port of entry, that's not the issue. Problem is the way the bill currently reads I cannot posses it.

I can imagine the media feeding frenzy if they were foolish enough to obtain warrants to search for animal skins. Just another feel good law that nobody will obey.

Johnnyblue ,I moved out of New York over 40 years ago,I must of had good timeing. I love living in Washington State but we have the same type of people in western Wa. As you have in N.Y.city. Sorry. John

Well I did what I could yesterday. I e mailed 100 Senators and Assemblyman requesting they oppose this bill, as it does nothing to promote the welfare of the game they choose to ban import into NY port. Let's all hope this anti hunting bum Senator Avella does not get someone to sponsor this bill next year. Not only will it harm those of us who live here and may choose to hunt one of those animals in the future, it will just become a snowball effect for the anti's to keep on going. What next no Pheasant hunting? A holes. I hope everyone here writes or contacts SCI and and other pro hunting organizations to voice there displeasure. We are a dwindling bunch I think. I hope future generations can experience the joy and exhilaration of the hunt as all of us have.

We are a dwindling bunch I think. I hope future generations can experience the joy and exhilaration of the hunt as all of us have.
Well said, JB. When you see how fast long lived social mores have changed, I worry about the future of our sport, and I worry that my grandchildren will never be able to experience living as our ancestors did. We are losing many links to the past.

For sure Hank. Sad, I always tell my wife I am glad I am not a young child, the world is so much more dangerous than when we grew up. But that said if you know nothing else you can't miss it. Liberal America........Scary.

Reactions: lcq
The politicians and tree huggers have their heads so far up their asses they can see their tonsils! It's mind boggling that they want to ban someone from possessing something that was LEGALLY taken and overseen by an international agreement. It may not matter to hunters who have never gone or want to go to Africa, but when the wolf gets its foot in the door, there is nothing to stop it. First no import or possession of big 5, than no African animals, than no bear, and those whitetail antlers can be weapons, so better ban them too, on and on.

I too fear for my sons future. My oldest has started shooting sporting clays and is on a team. You should see some people's reactions when he tells them the sports he's involved in. The sad part is he wanted to write about it in school. I told him he couldn't and not to talk about it to anyone in school, for fear that he'll be "reported" by his ignorant teacher.

You should see some people's reactions when he tells them the sports he's involved in. The sad part is he wanted to write about it in school. I told him he couldn't and not to talk about it to anyone in school, for fear that he'll be "reported" by his ignorant teacher.
I'm doing a hunt report on my hunt with my son in May and June of this year. My son has just graduated from university and starts work in New York on July 1. I feel I have no other choice but to blur his face in the trophy pictures. At my age and stage in life, there's nothing the anti's can do to me, but he has a career to build, and I'm sorry to say I won't risk his future by posting pictures of him hunting.

Maybe that makes me a coward, but when it's a young man's career, some risks aren't worth taking. Sad.

I'm doing a hunt report on my hunt with my son in May and June of this year. My son has just graduated from university and starts work in New York on July 1. I feel I have no other choice but to blur his face in the trophy pictures. At my age and stage in life, there's nothing the anti's can do to me, but he has a career to build, and I'm sorry to say I won't risk his future by posting pictures of him hunting.

Maybe that makes me a coward, but when it's a young man's career, some risks aren't worth taking. Sad.
I agree Hank. It is sad but here in this uber liberal state do what you need to protect your son and his career. I'm like you I could give a rats ass what anyone thinks. Specially when it comes to hunting. I hope your son will continue to hunt as his career grows.

I'm like you, to the anti hunting types I say bring it on. My foul tempered 115lb Chesapeake needs a new playtoy

I only tell my son not to mention anything about firearms because he is 10 years old. The school has a no tolerance policy. Even making a gun gesture with your fingers could spell expulsion.

I have to disagree with you on hiding your sons face in the pictures. By you hiding your sons face, the antis already won! To me this is part of the problem and why antis voices seem so much louder than hunters. Too many hunters hide in the shadows and don't stand up and say I am a hunter, a conservationist and am damn proud! If one is ashamed and can't stand up and give their reasons of why they hunt and the way it impacts conservation, than maybe they should take up checkers. If everything is legal and ethical than there should be no reason to be ashamed. Period.

I only tell my son not to mention anything about firearms because he is 10 years old. The school has a no tolerance policy. Even making a gun gesture with your fingers could spell expulsion.

I have to disagree with you on hiding your sons face in the pictures. By you hiding your sons face, the antis already won! To me this is part of the problem and why antis voices seem so much louder than hunters. Too many hunters hide in the shadows and don't stand up and say I am a hunter, a conservationist and am damn proud! If one is ashamed and can't stand up and give their reasons of why they hunt and the way it impacts conservation, than maybe they should take up checkers. If everything is legal and ethical than there should be no reason to be ashamed. Period.
With all due respect, that's very easy to say.

Firstly, my son is not me, so I have no business making his exploits public, without his consent.

Secondly, and more importantly, my son is just starting out on his career, a career he has invested 12 years of school and 4 years of university, and lots of hard work (magna cum laude) and a boatload of money. Many powerful people have lost jobs for engaging in legal and ethical activities (see the CEO of Mozilla, as but one example). My son now lives and works in New York City, which, as this thread shows, is not known far and wide for rational behavior. To take this type of stand at this point in his life would impact no one but him, and would do no good for hunting. If Donald Trump's kids want to get publicity for their hunting, good or bad, that's up to them. No one is going to take their job or their livelihood away for doing so.

Thirdly, and let me be very clear about this. He is not ashamed of hunting, nor (obviously) am I. With the right people, and at the proper time, he is more than willing to discuss hunting, and make a very articulate case for it.

Fourthly, and finally, as the parent of a child, what are you doing about this absurd policy at your son's school?

I fell bad for yall with kids trying to raise them to respect hunting and guns, yet getting sandbagged at every turn. As a liberal democrat, I have a difficult time explaining my views about guns and hunting to my friends. You try talking about the conservation benefits of african hunting at an Indigo Girls concert or at a cheese bar with a gun on your hip and a craft beer in the hand ;). My point is, people no longer see each other as humans with individual opinions. Everyone just follows the ideology that whichever political blowhard they subscribe to spouts out this week.

Fourthly, and finally, as the parent of a child, what are you doing about this absurd policy at your son's school?

Well the policy is still there, but now they will go by case by case and see what the intent is and the context. This is after we were able to get some new school board members voted in. The real kicker is a 5th grader who was "graduating" to sixth grade (just because they're going to the middle school they "graduate", I don't get that one) put down that he wanted to be a professional shooter when he gets older. The teacher went about apeshit and went to the principal and they called the parents in. Only to find out his dad is indeed a professional shooter with law enforcement. Needless to say that the stirred the hornets nest.:)

Hank your absolutely right and you shouldn't make decisions that affect him, he is an adult and makes his own decisions, we all should have that right.

like califs law on mountain lions,not allowed in calif even if you take it legally in another state.bring your mount through the border and it will be confiscated.total bull shit like most politicians!!!

Another E mail I just received .Dear John,

Thank you for taking the time to email my office your opposition so S.4686, which would ban the possession, sale and/or transportation of the "Big Five African Species"; lions, leopards, elephants, black, rhinos and white rhinos.

This bill has been reconsidered and was placed back to the Third Reading Calendar in the State Senate. As of Thursday June 25th, the Senate has adjourned for the year and this bill will NOT be reconsidered for a vote. Should this bill come to the floor for a vote next legislative session, I will be sure to vote in the negative.

I appreciate hearing the opinions of all my constituents. Should you ever have another issue arise, please do not hesitate to contact my office via email or phone; funke@nysenate.gov or 518.455.2215.

Sincerely,
Senator Rich Funke, 55th District

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg