Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
After looking at a million different rifles I finally made a decision and bought a new varmit rifle. Behold the savage 93 17hmr g. I put a 3-9 and a green lense tac light on it. Hope to get it sighted in next week so I can whack some yotes and coons with it.
image.jpeg

Those little rifles are a blast gizmo and you'll find it habit forming to shoot!

I have the NEF version that I won in a big buck contest about 12 years ago.

Whack away!

Did you consider the 17 WSM? I have the Savage 93R17 BTVSS and it's a blast to shoot but the WSM ballistics and wind drift look very impressive.

Did you consider the 17 WSM? I have the Savage 93R17 BTVSS and it's a blast to shoot but the WSM ballistics and wind drift look very impressive.
I did but I wanted something that was easy to get ammo for locally and the wsm just couldn't compete in that area.

I think those little Cheapy Savages shoot great, I bought the 22lr and dumped the plastic for wood and put a Nikon 3x9 on it I just shoot the Damn thing while I waiting for the Barrels of my larger bores to cool off
DSC00290.JPG

I think those little Cheapy Savages shoot great, I bought the 22lr and dumped the plastic for wood and put a Nikon 3x9 on it I just shoot the Damn thing while I waiting for the Barrels of my larger bores to cool offView attachment 51811
Agree I was impressed. Rifle had the accutrigger, a heavy barrel, wood stock, I haven't pulled it apart but the store rep told me it had aluminum bedding blocks. The barrel channel is semi floated so I will open it up to get rid of the contact points and glass bed the action but that's about all that needs to be done to it. Very impressed for a rifle that costs less than 300$.

I have the first gen Savage 17 pre accutrigger and it shoots sub moa as long as there is zero wind. I've even whacked beaver with body shots. Great little gun

I have the first gen Savage 17 pre accutrigger and it shoots sub moa as long as there is zero wind. I've even whacked beaver with body shots. Great little gun
I don't know about the 17 trigger but even the standard cheap trigger can be smoothed and adjusted easily

Reactions: lcq
I don't know about the 17 trigger but even the standard cheap trigger can be smoothed and adjusted easily
This one has the accutrigger, I'm pretty sure most if not all new savages have them.

Mine is 7-8 years old and was my first Accutrigger firearm. Nice system, wife's Lady Hunter in 7mm-08 has the same setup and she don't miss. Here's a pic of mine.
image.jpg

Mine is 7-8 years old and was my first Accutrigger firearm. Nice system, wife's Lady Hunter in 7mm-08 has the same setup and she don't miss. Here's a pic of mine.
View attachment 51815
Thats Sweet, is that a Boyds Stock or Factory

Stock from savage.
I dig that stock too was it a aftermarket from savage or did it come with the rifle. If it was aftermarket was it pillar bedded or did it have aluminum bedding blocks? I bought a glass bed kit and I'm deciding if I want to glass bed this stock or buy a new one. I haven't pulled the action from the stock yet but the guy at the store said it was pillar bedded so provided that's the case a little rasp work and some glass and it should be great. It's supposed to have a floated barrel but the forearm needs some work as it touches in a couple of places so I'll open it up a bit more and glass the inside to stiffen it up a bit, a little bedding tape on the barrel for spacing and it should float like a champ then. The factory stock has a nice look but I really dig the thumb hole style that's on yours.

I have a ruger Hawkeye in 243 that I love and use a lot. I'd like to do the same with that stock but it needs pillars too before I can glass it. I found a couple of aftermarket stocks for it that I really like that have aluminum blocks but I like the look of the grey laminate stock that's on it. With a little work the stock that's on it could be super great but I run into when the hell do I ever have time to mess with this stuff anymore.

a little polishing and spring work and it is not too bad at all

a little polishing and spring work and it is not too bad at all
Pretty easy and you can get them pretty light and they will break real crisp

I dig that stock too was it a aftermarket from savage or did it come with the rifle. If it was aftermarket was it pillar bedded or did it have aluminum bedding blocks? I bought a glass bed kit and I'm deciding if I want to glass bed this stock or buy a new one. I haven't pulled the action from the stock yet but the guy at the store said it was pillar bedded so provided that's the case a little rasp work and some glass and it should be great. It's supposed to have a floated barrel but the forearm needs some work as it touches in a couple of places so I'll open it up a bit more and glass the inside to stiffen it up a bit, a little bedding tape on the barrel for spacing and it should float like a champ then. The factory stock has a nice look but I really dig the thumb hole style that's on yours.

It's all factory except the scope and sling. Look up the model number on the Savage website, sometimes they change up the laminate colors from year to year. The bull barrel is free floated from Savage but have never removed the action to check on the bedding. Off to the woods for some more deer hunting...........later.

It's a dead ringer for a Boyds, I wonder if Boyds makes the stocks for Savage. I know my Boyds was a complete drop in

It's a dead ringer for a Boyds, I wonder if Boyds makes the stocks for Savage. I know my Boyds was a complete drop in
It sure is I was looking at them online last night.

Ok so I freakin love this rifle. We got it all sighted in and you could cover the group with a nickel. Naturally a field test was in order so a little night time rabbit safari action. With 17 grain bullets it will take a jack rabbits head almost completely off from about 50 yards. Very great shooting gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!