New USFW permit process for Lion - any news or anyone tried to import?

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Eastern Cape, Free State, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Uganda
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone knows anything new about the USFW process to import lion? Has anyone hunted one and tried for a permit yet? Has anyone heard any news of a hunter trying for a permit yet? With prices where they are going this year, its tempting to go after one and hopefully "wait out" the permit procedure or hope it will be a possibility in the near future to be able to import one back to the US.

Don't shoot one yet unless you plan to leave it with Pieter!

I will ask them Brent, thanks

Bump to see if anyone else can comment

I'm hunting one with an American hunter this year. We will try the importation process and can report back.
Otherwise he will do the taxidermy and we will keep it at our lodge, until such a time that the import restrictions are lifted.

Bump to see if anyone else can comment

No news that I'm aware of, nor would I expect anything fast. It is the federal government that is involved. Heck, emergency communication services RFPs are still being considered as a result of outages related to 09/11. Considered. Not awarded. Not implemented. Considered.

If you want to hunt a lion, hunt it. There certainly seems to be a perfect storm right now, that could lead to even better prices over the next year. Enjoy the experience at a great price, and then if you get to bring it back in a year or two, bonus! !!

I've made it no secret that I hope to do this with elephant.

I also believe that anyone who refuses a hunt purely due to an importation ban is actually a supporter of the ban, whether they realize it or not. JMO

Thanks for the input guys. Royal, if the opportunity is there it will be tempting, I just have to figure out if I would like to spend x amount of dollars on a lion, or a whole slew of other plains game or a sable, or save it for the taxidermy bill. I am however, one of the guys who would certainly like to be able to display the lion someday, but certainly think the thrill of the hunt and being able to hunt a lion would be a tremendous experience.

And don't get me wrong. I'd like the mount too. But when these animals become such a relative value it is hard to pass up. Three years ago I didn't think I'd ever be able to hunt anything but a tuskless, but thanks to USFWS it is now within reach. How ironic is that??? I can afford to hunt an ele bull because they don't want me to hunt one. :A Stars:

Agreed Royal, I believe there are many of us on here who could never hunt a lion or elephant, but now its become possible or even a reality for some already!

I'm sure SCI or DSC would love to test the import process, so they can start the question and answer part from our "knowledgeable" USA government.

And don't get me wrong. I'd like the mount too. But when these animals become such a relative value it is hard to pass up. Three years ago I didn't think I'd ever be able to hunt anything but a tuskless, but thanks to USFWS it is now within reach. How ironic is that??? I can afford to hunt an ele bull because they don't want me to hunt one. :A Stars:
For those of you old enough to remember, this is like Excedrin headache number 247! or some other such high number!!!

Agreed Royal, I believe there are many of us on here who could never hunt a lion or elephant, but now its become possible or even a reality for some already!

And a perfect way to stick it into the eye of the USFWS! A perfect way to tell the gov't with what seems to me to ever increase control over its citizens that it can't tell you can't go hunting. And a perfect way to show them this stupid plan is not working.

Thanks for the input guys. Royal, if the opportunity is there it will be tempting, I just have to figure out if I would like to spend x amount of dollars on a lion, or a whole slew of other plains game or a sable, or save it for the taxidermy bill. I am however, one of the guys who would certainly like to be able to display the lion someday, but certainly think the thrill of the hunt and being able to hunt a lion would be a tremendous experience.
Man I'm here to tell you just the experience in itself is worth the price of admission. It was the most incredible experience of my life. Not a day goes by that I don't relive it at least a thousand times over in my mind.

I'm sure SCI or DSC would love to test the import process, so they can start the question and answer part from our "knowledgeable" USA government.
choke,choke.

I'm also anxious to hear if anyone attempts an import. I'm going lion hunting this summer- right now, just for the experience... unless this whole situation gets cleared up.

best of luck to you.

I'm also anxious to hear if anyone attempts an import. I'm going lion hunting this summer- right now, just for the experience... unless this whole situation gets cleared up.
Good luck, look forward to seeing your report and pictures.

I personally don't know if I would hunt lion just for the experience. Don't get me wrong I think about it constantly, more so since living the hunt thru Gizmos heart stopping report. After hunting such a magnificent animal it would break my heart to know I may have to leave it behind for an indefinite amount of time. I'm just not sure if I could bring my self to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,