Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zambia
Ultimate Hunters Market: Will this giant hunting auction benefit African wildlife?
2016-02-04 12:15 - Andreas Wilson-Späth
share:
e853493098ab47fba65602f96682eeba.jpg

RELATED ARTICLES
Cape Town - Does trophy hunting support wildlife conservation in Africa? The world’s most influential hunters’ association would like you to think so.

The annual convention of the Safari Club International (SCI) which takes place in Las Vegas this week, features an array of auctions for hunting safaris around the world.

Among many others, attendees will be able to bid on more than 50 trophy hunts in South Africa featuring various species of buck alongside crocodile, African wild cat, hippo, baboon and more.

Also, on the menu at the ‘Ultimate Hunters’ Market’ are leopard hunts in Zimbabwe, Tanzania and Namibia. Hundreds of wild animals are up for grabs at the convention which raises a major portion of the SCI’s annual operating budget.

The organisation, which is based in Tuscon, Arizona was founded in 1973 and today has tens of thousands of members in well over a hundred affiliated chapters.

It promotes the idea that revenues earned from trophy hunting contribute significantly to job creation and economic growth in host countries, as well as to wildlife conservation. Unfortunately, there is little evidence to back up these claims.

What is not in dispute is that SCI members have hunted and killed thousands of wild African animals – many of them threatened and endangered – and while it routinely presents itself as an association intended to look after the interests of ordinary hunters, many of its members are extremely wealthy individuals who can afford to spend substantial sums of money on lavish overseas hunting trips every year and who are obsessed with ‘collecting’ rare trophies from around the globe.

f6557aa8a8dd4c5295966e627be8399c.jpg

Photo credit - Colin Bell

The SCI encourages competitive trophy hunting through an elaborate system of awards in dozens of categories which its members can receive if they kill varieties of different animal species.

Among them are the ‘African Big Five’ Grand Slam, the ‘Dangerous Game of Africa’ Grand Slam and the ‘African 29’ Grand Slam. The latter requires hunters to shoot 29 different species, including lion, leopard, elephant, rhino, buffalo, sitatunga, sable, roan and hippo.

So-called ‘Inner Circle’ awards are similar to grand slams but specify a much longer kill list of animals. To receive the ‘Animals of Africa’ Inner Circle award at the diamond level, for instance, a hunter needs to shoot animals from no fewer than 80 different species.

The most prestigious of all SCI achievement is the ‘World Hunting Award’ presented to individuals who have garnered awards in thirty of the lower categories.

It has been given to nearly 100 people since 1995 and comes with an onyx and diamond-encrusted gold ring that has been referred to as the “Superbowl-ring of hunting”.

f8a768da648940ecb69879ab5acf612e.jpg

Photo credit - Anna Haw - Porcupine victim

One World Hunting Award recipient, a millionaire investment banker from Michigan, is on record as having killed, among others, 11 African elephants, 5 leopards, 13 lions, more than 36 Cape buffalo, 4 hippos, 1 southern white rhino, 5 spotted hyenas and 1 cheetah.

Documenting the practices of such individuals, King of Beasts is a revealing new film about trophy hunting of lions in Africa that follows prominent American hunter Aaron Neilson as he tracks down and kills the 15th lion in his career in Tanzania.

In September, the American Humane Society released a report which tallies SCI members’ hunting successes in Africa (based mostly on the organisations own online records). Between 1950 and 2015, it enumerates, among many others, the killing of:

- 2007 lions (511 of them in South Africa and Namibia),

- 791 elephants (including 15 forest elephants),

- 479 southern white rhinos,

- 93 black rhinos, and

- 1888 leopards.

The SCI and its members also lobby politicians to allow them to continue their activities.

In 2001, for example, one SCI member, a millionaire and former owner of an American coal mining company, tried to get the government of Botswana to lift its ban on lion hunting using high-powered letters from former US president George Bush and former vice president Dan Quayle.

1f4c17ca0dfa4b0aaf8f202e4b99ae47.jpg

Photo credit - Adam Cruise

In 2014 SCI affiliates contributed US$451,061 to the campaigns of political candidates in Washington and gave US$243, 579 to an outfit called the Hunter Defense Fund which exists to counteract “anti-hunting extremists” and to help “elect candidates willing to take the tough votes to preserve our hunting heritage in Congress”.

In November, the SCI hosted and funded the 14th annual African Wildlife Consultative Forum in Limpopo at which stakeholders from sub-Saharan countries, including several representatives of South Africa’s Department of Environmental Affairs, met to discuss various conservation and hunting matters, among them the export and import of hunting trophies.

Journalists wanting to attend the meeting (supposedly open to the public) were refused admission and some reports suggest that one of the objectives of the gathering was the establishment of a strong pro-hunting lobby in the lead up to the important 17th Conference of the Parties (CoP17) of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) which will take place in Johannesburg later this year.

Not all of the world’s hunters and hunting organisations should be judged against the questionable behaviour of the SCI and its members, of course.

272e0464c1594441b28dd8adccd71d2c.jpg

Photo credit - Don Pinnock

There are many hunters who abide by strict ethical standards, hunt only by traditional methods and mostly for meat without taking trophies or engaging in the obsessive competition to kill the greatest variety of the most exotic animals possible.

“We like good trophies too,” explains Matthias Kruse, editor of the Rheinisch-Westfälischer Jäger, Germany’s most-read hunting magazine, “but we don’t look for the mightiest mane or the longest tusk. Instead, the social status of the animal of interest is at the centre of our decisions”.

While Kruse emphasises that he speaks in his personal capacity and not for his magazine or German hunters in general, he clearly represents a substantial sector of Europe’s hunting fraternity that is keen to differentiate itself from organisations like SCI.

For him, responsible hunting involves the sustainable use of wild animals and asking a number of crucial questions at the beginning of each hunt: Is it allowed? Is it necessary? Is it without consequences for the whole population of the species?

377eb4fff2854b76a291393ffeda135a.jpg

Photo credit - Mike Kendrick

“Our main concern before we hunt is the future safety of the population. What we want is a renaissance of hunting in Africa. With ethical and biological standards wherever we hunt”.

It remains to be seen whether or not the SCI will be able to continue its activities in the face of a growing wildlife conservation crisis in Africa and mounting public outrage over the immoral behaviour of some of its members, including Walter Palmer, the dentist accused of illegally killing Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe last year, whose membership has since been suspended.

Attachments

• f6557aa8a8dd4c5295966e627be8399c.jpg
    f6557aa8a8dd4c5295966e627be8399c.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 96
  • 272e0464c1594441b28dd8adccd71d2c.jpg
    272e0464c1594441b28dd8adccd71d2c.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 122
  • 377eb4fff2854b76a291393ffeda135a.jpg
    377eb4fff2854b76a291393ffeda135a.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 115
  • e853493098ab47fba65602f96682eeba.jpg
    e853493098ab47fba65602f96682eeba.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 116
  • f8a768da648940ecb69879ab5acf612e.jpg
    f8a768da648940ecb69879ab5acf612e.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 159
  • 1f4c17ca0dfa4b0aaf8f202e4b99ae47.jpg
    1f4c17ca0dfa4b0aaf8f202e4b99ae47.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 125
Last edited by a moderator:
So now the problem is SCI and they should be more like the European hunting org's. Maybe this crap will end soon.

Notice how this article says "the dentist accused of illegally killing Cecil the lion" they never bother to mention that he was never charged in the case for wrongdoing. Neither does any other article, most just blatantly lie about the facts of the case, because they don't understand what investigative reporting is. They just look at Facebook for "facts".

Scott, guessed you hit the nail...emotions with false facts.

Ole Andreas just had to play the "class envy" card including: (1) extremely wealthy individual (2) millionaire investment banker (3) millionaire and former owner of a coal mining company. Andreas, for the record, I am a member of SCI, DSC, and HSC and have visited Southern Africa as a consumptive tourist on several occasions. I am retired, living on a fixed income, and work part time jobs throughout the year to fund my hunting expeditions. I AM NOT an extremely wealthy individual, millionaire investment banker, or millionaire owner of a coal mining company! Everyone, the anti-hunters are trying to divide the hunting community (small game hunters vs. big game hunters vs. dangerous game hunters). Quoting Aesop, the famous Greek author and philosopher: United We Stand, Divided We Fall!

Last edited:
@gvincent , I think you just proved the point, with age we gain wisdom. Great post.

Bert, sadly most the folks in my generation I'm 26, don't believe they should have to work for anything. It boggles my mind, how people can believe this.
image.png

Its a great myth that only rich people go to Africa to hunt. There are a lot of very judgemental people out there in the world. The real evil people see hunting in Africa as a one sided story, hunters go there to collect trophies. Yes there are parts to SCI that I have never enjoyed, but over all they are great organization. The people that hunt a lot invest a lot into wildlife conservation.

I've never been much for the records books, and the slams and all that. I'm happy with what I've got and don't feel the need to measure. I imagine that to a person who is on the fence, the books with the implied competition as to who can kill the animal with the biggest rack must look pretty awful. I can't imagine those things sway anyone to a pro-hunting stance.

Any time I come across obviously biased, slanted, piss yellow "journalism" like this hunk of crap that quotes the

H.S.U.S. as a source, I always take the opportunity to post a link to some interesting facts about H.S.U.S.

The truth about H.S.U.S here------------> http://www.humanewatch.org/

After this summer any record book, looks bad to the masses that are on the fence of whether hunting is good or bad. If hunting is for meat then it's ok, society in general hates dead animal pictures with hunters in the background and trophy rooms.

I didn't know anything about hunting in Africa before I started reading here. The conversations I see are of good honest people, that have a love of animals and conservation. There is not a lot of measuring done either, I think it's ok to hope to get a big one, but I have seen more of the he was an old mature male and I loved the way he looked. He looked like he had some stories to tell.

I keep seeing where they are now trying to say there are issues in the hunting camps. They are insinuating that there are integrity issues and that it is everywhere. They are trying to convince everyone that the hunters are blood thirsty killers and the PH's and Outfitters are money hungry lawbreakers. They will try anything to stop hunting, except actually listening to the truth and not the version that suits them.

After this summer any record book, looks bad to the masses that are on the fence of whether hunting is good or bad. If hunting is for meat then it's ok, society in general hates dead animal pictures with hunters in the background and trophy rooms.

I don't know, I think the anti's cry the loudest. Too many people who have never been hunting or know nothing about hunting seem to be pretty fascinated with it. My soon to be wife and all of her friends who are super liberal have spent hours looking at my mounts and not in a bad way. One in particular asked me about the record book and slams and all that. I explained there are road kill animals in the book, it is more history.

I asked her who won the Superbowl 5 years ago. She goes I don't know, I go I don't either but to the 2% of the population that care its a big deal. She goes, I totally get it, kind of like how we give out awards for our flag football.

My point being is they hsve the media, the president, USFW, celebrities and make believe scientists all screaming we are bad and we must be stopped. We pay attention because we care, most people have bills to pay and go on with life. The end of the day we all get to keep hunting, we can keep shooting lions, elephants, leopards, we get to do the right thing because it is who we are and what we do and as long as we keep doing that, the anti's will always be pissed and will continue to scream.

My point being is they hsve the media, the president, USFW, celebrities and make believe scientists all screaming we are bad and we must be stopped. We pay attention because we care, most people have bills to pay and go on with life. The end of the day we all get to keep hunting, we can keep shooting lions, elephants, leopards, we get to do the right thing because it is who we are and what we do and as long as we keep doing that, the anti's will always be pissed and will continue to scream.

I believe in freedom too. I just think we have to be smarter about it. I'm not posting hunting pictures anymore other than here. I have gone out of my way to be quiet about my business in the hunting world because of ignorance and jealousy. What we say and do have an effect on our life. And I have come to the conclusion a long time ago, you are never going to explain to people lion, leopard and elephant hunting. We may be able to hunt them but the anti's are taking the any joy out of it, they are regulating us to death.

@enysse you make a point, I don't post pics either. It is sad state we have to worry about our family and job because some anti will scream about it on Facebook.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross