Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, NRA,Oregon Hunters Assoc.
Hunted
USA, Zimbabwe, Australia, Mozambique, Namibia, Canada & South Africa
A friend of mine was off to Zimbabwe this last Saturday morning. :confused: He travels with his guns at least 6 times a year, He's on first name basis with the TSA people at our local airport. The TSA told him you now need at least two locking latches on your guncases, and they did not want TSA style locks anymore because there are too many people with the master key. They told him this is a new rule within the last couple of days and let him go this time. Has anybody else heard of this new rule or is somebody at the local TSA mixed up?

Yes, this has been the rule for about a year now. TSA locks are not permitted. Seems that TSA folks were tampering with the firearms. Only the owner of the firearm case should have the combination or key to the locks.

These rules are so fluid I encourage everyone to read the TSA and airline in which they are traveling in advance of when they are traveling. It is not a bad idea to print them out and carry with you as well because many TSA and airline employees don't know all their own regs.

Here is the link to the TSA site describing the transport of firearms;
TSA: Traveling with Special Items

It depends on what type of case you have I believe. I have a multiple latch case without a bar and I was requested to provide an additional lock. On another case which has a bar that threads through the other latches you only need one lock

Nothing in the link says anything about multiple locks. That is not an option with a tuffpak container.

I don't think it should have multiple locks but stay away from TSA locks.

What is a TSA lock?

What is a TSA lock?

It is a combination lock that you can buy here in the US. The TSA agents at the American airports have a master key that fits all of them so they can check your gun case. With all the fancy xray stuff they have now they are probably not needed anymore. I never used them in May when I went to Namibia. Just used regular padlocks.

It is a combination lock that you can buy here in the US. The TSA agents at the American airports have a master key that fits all of them so they can check your gun case. With all the fancy xray stuff they have now they are probably not needed anymore. I never used them in May when I went to Namibia. Just used regular padlocks.

you can buy them at heathrow and gatwick even here in our small island of jersey, so i presume you can get them in most int airports. they are either number combination lock padlocks or padlock with keys. after i had been to SCI in reno a few years ago when they first started with the tsa lock thing i had gone to florida for a few days and flew out of miami with a normal padlock on my soft fold over suitecase, when i got to heathrow it came off the baggage belt with tape wrapped round it with the padlock ripped off and the zippers ripped out as well. there was a nice note stuck inside from the tsa saying sorry about the damage(it was totally destroyed) but we know you dont mind as we are just carrying out a security check and you have no right to compensation. i had to buy a new case for my next flight and when i moved my stuff into the new bag they hadnt even searched it as everything was still exactly the same, i think they just decided to rip off the lock because it wasnt a tsa spec one.

I was told last year that gun cases that had multiple locking points needed two locks, and that the owner of the guns was to keep the key in their possession. I have a Pelican 1750, so I use two master locks keyed alike. As usual, TSA said they will not allow any exceptions.

I've been to Africa four times now and have a locking bar that threads thru all four hasps, with one lock on the end. Never had any issues.

TSA locks must be used on all checked baggage "except" gun cases. If TSA deems it necessary to inspect baggage with non-TSA locks, it will be either cut or forceably removed. Gun cases should have non-TSA locks and if "keyed", the key must remain in the possession of the person traveling.......... The only thing I could never get a straight answer on was the ammo case!!!! My last trip in August, I had my reloads in lockable MTM plastic cases locked with TSA locks. These were put in a combination lock style pistol case. This was then put in a piece of checked luggage with a TSA lock. No problems but I was probably just lucky!!

I resorted to a Plano ammo case that was advertised as TSA compliant for shipping ammunition. It has TSA locksets, foam padding, and held all the ammunition I needed for my hunt. Apparently it was ok as my ammo went through in both directions in my baggage without any problems. (Got the case through Midway.)

I resorted to a Plano ammo case that was advertised as TSA compliant for shipping ammunition. It has TSA locksets, foam padding, and held all the ammunition I needed for my hunt. Apparently it was ok as my ammo went through in both directions in my baggage without any problems. (Got the case through Midway.)

I used the Plano ammo case also just locked it and put it in my unlocked baggage and nobody looked or asked any question all the way to Namibia. This is the way the Cabela's travel agency told me to do it. I think booking through a travel agency that deals with alot of hunters going to Africa saves a few headaches with the airlines. When I checked in with Delta at Kansas City it seemed like they had dealt with hunters alot.

Being a retired airline pilot type, I have friends in the TSA. I talked to one today and was told that what is on the TSA website for travel with guns is correct. A hard sided case that can not be spread open at one end is required. If it can be spreag open, that end needs another lock. One lock is fine if the case can not be spread open. NO TSA LOCKS ON GUN CASES, PEROID! You carry the only keys, period! Ammo MAY be put in the same case as the rifle IF it is in factory boxes (not loose). Not necessary to put it in a locked box in other checked luggage (at least here in the USA). Do not put other "stuff" in the gun case. The case will be x-rayed and if they see anything suspicious they will "try" to find you to open it. If they can't find you, they will cut the locks to check and it may not go on the airplane. All of my other checked luggage gets brightly colored "tywraps" through the zippers and locking mechanisims. If someone goes in there they will not have a flourecent tywrap of my color to put back on so I know immediately if it has been tampered with. It came out one time with plain white tywraps and I knew it had been opened. TSA opened it. I carry extra tywraps for the return trip.
Hope this helps all.

Thank you, Cliffy. I also have noticed that the TSA has been leaving a notice that they have opened the bag or ammo case. I don't know if this is the new procedure, but I encountered it both to and from my hunt. The only problem I encountered was ammo being required to be separated from my luggage from Johannesburg to Kimberly and back. South African rules, I have been told...but not always followed exactly.

TSA has been leaving notes for several years now.

Hello everyone, I have a trip to S.A. late AUG-SEPT. does this no tsa lock apply to a bow case? also I put my arrows in round case. and broadheads in plastic case inside my pole mountain bow case. Thanks

The TSA lock issue does not concern bows and arrows but I caution you not to use them on a bow case as there are far too many bogus keys floating around. I don't even use them on my checked bags. There is no "rule" that says you have to use TSA locks on anything. They were only brought out so IF TSA needed to go inside your luggage they could without ruining other style locks. If they go in now and you don't have TSA locks they use white zip ties to resecure the bag. I've had this happen to me.
Just as an aside note, do not travel through Amsterdam with arrow heads in your luggage, You will have problems if that is what you do.
Good luck on your hunt

cliffy, thank you. yea I already new about Amsterdam. delta raleigh to alanta .alanta to joeberg. PS I am posting under my wife Name thanks Forrest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber