New to the site and looking for advice

Tony Parisi

AH member
Reaction score
Hello! First day on the site and looking for some sage advice. I'm an experienced North American hunter, but have never been to Africa. My interest is primarily in plains game -- more specifically Kudu and Gemsbuck, in that order. Namibia seems to be a popular destination for those new to Africa, but others may have different ideas. Any thoughts and advice much appreciated.

Also, out of curiosity, I'm wondering if any of you have chosen to make Africa your home and if any of you expats would be willing to share some of your experiences and thoughts on that subject.

Regards,

--Tony

Welcome to AH:S Welcome:

You are correct, Namibia would probably be considered a prime destination for those two species. You can also find them in South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe. Possibly somewhere else I am not thinking of.

Look through the Great Deals section of AH. You may find something you are interested in.

http://www.africahunting.com/community/deals-offers.105/

Your post will probably bring you some offers coming in as well.

All the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks, Wheels! And I apologize in advance to members if I ask a simple minded question that has been addressed elsewhere. I'm not much of a technology guy. This is the first and only online forum I've ever joined, so there's a learning curve. I'm afraid that heavy game will remain beyond my means for some time, however, plains game hunts seem quite reasonable. It seems to me that for the price of many single species North American hunts that I've been on, I can enjoy a plains game hunt in Africa and hunt a variety of species on one trip -- and do it in style! Running up and down mountainsides with a pack and living on freeze dried food was just fine 20 years ago and I'm still in good shape, but I feel it a bit more these days. Thanks again!

Tony, please take some time to visit our website. Should you require any assistance regarding a plains game hunt, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris

Many thanks, Wheels! And I apologize in advance to members if I ask a simple minded question that has been addressed elsewhere. I'm not much of a technology guy. This is the first and only online forum I've ever joined, so there's a learning curve. I'm afraid that heavy game will remain beyond my means for some time, however, plains game hunts seem quite reasonable. It seems to me that for the price of many single species North American hunts that I've been on, I can enjoy a plains game hunt in Africa and hunt a variety of species on one trip -- and do it in style! Running up and down mountainsides with a pack and living on freeze dried food was just fine 20 years ago and I'm still in good shape, but I feel it a bit more these days. Thanks again!

Don't worry about asking questions. We have all been new to hunting in Africa at one time or other. Even those that were born there. The way you can pay us back is by posting a hunting report. We all salivate over those.

The two outfitters that posted after my comment above are examples of the outfitters/members we have here. I haven't hunted with either Justin or Marius but have only heard good things about them and wouldn't hesitate to book a hunt with either of them. There are other outfitters and agents that are members as well that are great. Look through the ones that advertise here or who are members. Browse their websites. If you have any questions about them, good or bad, ask the question. The members here will be more than happy to answer.

All the best.

Welcome!!!

And like Wheels said, don't worry about asking questions. Ask away!!!

You'll find this forum to be extremely friendly. I also like the fact that you're asking about living there before you have even gone once yet. You're going to fit in well.... :) And you're right on the cost when compared to NA hunts.

Agree with you completely! I have been on this site for 18 months now and learn something new almost everyday. Backpack hunted the Flat Tops Wilderness Area twice 20 plus years ago, and will never forget it.
But could never do it again now. Will make my first African hunt next year for plains game. You are definitely in the right place to learn and do about African hunting!

Make no apologies for asking questions, we're a pretty friendly lot here and information gathering is a primary purpose of this website. Yes Namibia is a good destination for both Kudu and Gemsbok. They can also be had in good quality in South Africa and Botswana. Botswana the hunting will be limited to private reserves as the gov't shut down hunting on gov't land a couple years back.

Living in Africa? I think about it all the time. I don't think under the current political climate that I'd ever want to own land there, but renting a place is something I often think about.

Welcome to AH Tony, you will surely find what you want with one of the outfitters on the forum.

Welcome to AH,enjoy the site

Welcome to AH Tony!

When it comes to plains game, and kudu and gemsbok in particular, there are almost too many choices in Namibia and South Africa. I'd stay away from Botswana because I don't support the closure of hunting there, but that's just me.

What this means is that you need to decide what else is important to you. Things such as:

1. Is it important that the animals be native to the area?

2. Do you want free range or will you accept fences?

3. If you accept fences, how big an area should it be at a minimum?

4. How important are other factors such as the type and style of camp?

It's by asking yourself questions such as these, and others, that you will start to whittle the number of outfitters down to something reasonably manageable. Once you've done that, you can get lots of advice here on the good, the bad and the ugly, but you can also talk to those outfitters who are sponsors of this site. While there is no formal vetting process (that I'm aware of), they are vetted in the court of public opinion, and a bad apple wouldn't last long.

Good luck, enjoy the site, and welcome to the addiction.

Welcome Tony. When do you plan to visit Africa? Namibia is an excellent destination for a first time African Safari. If you are interested in FREE RANGE plains game, look no further. In addition to Kudu and Oryx, North Western Nambia is home to the elusive Hartmann's (Mountain) Zebra - a great combination!

And the Hartmann has a nicer skin than the Burchell's!

Reactions: Ado

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross