New to the forum

Stuart70, Welcome to the forum! Ditto for some pictures and more info.

Hey, thanks for the welcome. My main purpose is to gain information on the 404 Jeffery cartridge and trips to hunt buffulo.

Again thanks for the greeting

Hi cmorrow, I am a fan of the .404 too and own one. I have the big CZ Safari Classic. It is a great old round and will with handloads equal the .416 Rigby in factory form, in other words will drive a 400 gr bullet to over 2400fps if wanted. I shoot mine to around 2250fps which is plenty and recoil is quite managable. Its an accurate cartridge to boot. A 98 Mauser action is long enough if the magazine is modified and the feed ramp may have to be shortened as well which is frowned upon by some. This is why a larger action is often used to build a .404J. It is no longer than a .375 H&H but it is bigger around and that takes up mag space. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hey Sestopalleman
I'm glad to hear that the Mauser action can be used. Is there a gunsmith you would recommend for the build? Are there any parts for the build that are better than other part makers. Well I bate ask questions and run but work will come early in morning. Thanks

Afraid I cant really help you out there, but its the kind of build most could handle. I think that many smiths will recommend a more suitable action than a 98 Mauser however. Not that it cant be used but there are better choices that wont require as much work. Good luck!

Hey I'm still getting used to the this forum so if this comes out looking like a computer program insted of a paragraph excuse me. Yeh I have a soft spot in my heart for African rifles and cartridges. I'm pretty good at taking recoil but the largest round I've shot is a 300 win mag with a 180 gr billet. Factory load. I had a sharps replica that was about 9lbs and a steel butplate that I shot 420gr lead at 1100fps. It thumped you but I could shoot a box full in an hour with no problem. What I learned to do when shooting a big round for the first time was to stand up brace you legs like you were going to push something heavy like a car, then bend you knees and lean into it, pull the gun into your shoulder hard. Then pull the forearm down align up your sites, make sure your scope if one and your thumb aren't near your eye or nose and squeeze the trigger.
If everything goes as planned the shot goes off and the gun and you recoil up and back together. Yeah the spec on the 404 Jeffery look good, I can't wait get mine built. Well I've got to go. I'll talk to you later. I'm trying g not to get Blown away by this hurracane.
Clay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross