New Ruger RSM .458 Lott

That is my understanding as well. Although I would think one could have a custom job done ($$$?). I talked to a very helpful lady at Ruger who told me those stocks were $1000 each at the time of manufacture!

Maybe I'm a little more risk tolerating but all I do is check that things look good and then check that all the screws are tight... although I did pull apart my first one and look it all over internally. I was satisfied that it looked well done.

I remember seeing a SMASHING M77 RSM rifle stock on the market, for $150 (the figure was shockingly gorgeous). If I can find the link, I'll share it here.

I remember seeing a SMASHING M77 RSM rifle stock on the market, for $150 (the figure was shockingly gorgeous). If I can find the link, I'll share it here.
If you can find it, I just may buy it!

Did some searching on the www. No luck.

I'll look again when I'm in front of a proper computer (instead of on my phone...need to check my Gmail account because I seem to remember having emailing myself the link, but the phone interface won't allow enough history (a far enough look-back) to be sure).

@CTDolan if I may make a request :) PM that link to Bob rather than posting it if the stock is still available. If Bob doesn't jump on it he can forward on to me as I would buy a good RSM stock for my .375 H&H. It's got some nicks and scratches and I plan to put some more on it :D Grain is pretty straight without much character too...

Last edited:
@CTDolan if I may make a request :) PM that link to Bob rather than posting it if the stock is still available. If Bob doesn't jump on it he can forward on to me as I would buy a good RSM stock for my .375 H&H. It's got some nicks and scratches and I plan to pit some more on it :D Grain is pretty straight without much character too...
Hey wait a minute...this was my thread! I'd like a crack at that sucker!:)

Heh heh heh. Oops, sorry 'bout that :D

I'll have a look later today or tomorrow morning (don't have my own PC, laptop or desktop, so it ain't so easy).

Update...shot the RSM Lott today for the first time. Was in a hurry so only 7 shots from sticks. 4 were low and left, then adjusted the Leupold FX-II 2.5x fixed scope and here are the next 3 shots. Group size 1.20" at 50 yds. from sticks...with more trepidation than ever before in my life firing a gun for the first time! Guess it was due to all the hype. Wasn't that bad, though; probably because none were from the bench:) I used Norma cases, Fed 215 mag primer, 500 gr. Hornady Interlock, and 75.0 grains of TAC. Average of 7 shots was 2,098 fps. I want to reach 2,150 because I'm OCD, so will load 77.0 grains next. Very consistent powder though, and very clean...also my favorite .223/5.56mm powder. Anyway, the rifle will be off to Wayne at AHR in mid-July. The trigger is horrible and it needs bedding and a second crossbolt. Will report back then.
IMG_2637.jpg

The 458 Lott is a beast! Managed to find one in a Ruger model 1. With all the rain I haven't even fired it yet but she is going to the range soon! Hope it shoots as well as your RSM.
image.jpg

One of these days I will have the 3rd in the RSM triad...
I'm having a hard enough time feeding and accessorizing the Rigby and H&H :)

Definitely big eaters, especially the Rigby!

Rob there are still some I'm drooling over... There was a RSM at a Cabela's with an elephant inlaid on the floor plate and the guy I talked to said they had done all or most of the Big 5. Of course I called and they had just sold that one. Then I also missed two nice Express models, the little brothers of the RSM in lighter calibers. Been especially wanting a nice one in 300 Win Mag...

And the book I got with the 458 Lott listed the RSM chambered in 458 win mag and 404 Jeffrey, in addition to the common 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, and 458 Lott... However not sure any of the 404's ever left the factory. @IdaRam is the best expert on these I know of.

On the 505 Gibbs, @Velo Dog did a little research as well as me calling Ruger with the serial number... It left the factory as a 416 Rem Mag and Velo Dog found there were 5 of them customized into the 505 caliber. It is so well done you would believe it is factory. A couple issues with it is it only take 2 down in the box and you cannot even safely chamber a 3rd. But it feeds them well... And then it kicks like a mule on steroids! I could see maybe hunting elephant with it? Although I like the 416 and 458 calibers for that. But I also like a heavy hitter that is a bit in the light weight side for elephant because I would rather suffer the recoil than lug a heavy gun around through the bush for 10 miles per day. I do not think I would use it on other DG as I have other, better options.

I took my last buffalo with my CZ 505 Gibbs and it holds 3. And it kicks a lot less. It has a mercury tube in the stock and is heavier overall, it also felt a tad big to begin with but now I am used to it and I think it actually fits me really well. I'm really still an amateur when it comes to gun fit, etc. However @matt85 has given me a lot of advise and encouragement on these big bores... In fact it is his fault I ever went past 375 H&H!
Bob, Cabela's in Lehi Utah has an Express in 300 win mag for $1700.

The 458 Lott is a beast! Managed to find one in a Ruger model 1. With all the rain I haven't even fired it yet but she is going to the range soon! Hope it shoots as well as your RSM.
View attachment 42608
Yes it is a beast. I put a few through my #1 in .450/.400 today too, and those WERE from the bench (trying to see how much I need to file down my rear sight for POI). Gotta say the Lott in the RSM didn't seem any worse than that #1 in .450/.400...and that one has a Graco recoil reducer in the buttstock. The #1 just doesn't handle recoil as well; partly because of weight I guess, but also due to stock design, I think.

Bottom Line is, I'd put a thick, soft KickEez pad on it and stuff a 14 oz. Graco in the buttstock before I shot it if I were you!

View attachment 42608

I've been meaning to ask you if you'd shot it yet. Inquiring minds....

Bob, Cabela's in Lehi Utah has an Express in 300 win mag for $1700.
Thanks David! The ain't got it anymore;) Although it did not take $1700:)

Trade secret;) It should actually be shipped Monday... Different Cabelas have had those models but always "pending" by the time I saw them and in fact I thought I had seen this one listed, that was some time back? Unless they got another one in? I did not ask as I needed to get going this morning but wanted to see if I could get a deal done first.... I did get an email confirming it so this "middle child" of the bunch should be on the way! I'm excited and hope to take it hunting out West or to Africa.

Thanks again for heads up!!!

Last edited:
Thanks David! The ain't got it anymore;) Although it did not take $1700:)

OK, I realize I'm a bit slow sometimes....Did you buy it? YES, I now see that you did! If you ever have a gun auction in your old age, it will be a doozey!!!!

That will be a huge deal for some RSM owner!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross