AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
ADA, SCI, SFP
Hunted
Australia, NZ, Canada
aside from the rifles stock being ugly it looks like it might be a decent gun if you removed the abomination on the end of the barrel (muzzle brake). of course that depends on how reliable that strange extractor they have on there is.

having said that... the price is pretty dang high! given the cartridges its available in i would put it as a competitor with Winchester. a standard winchester rifle will look nicer (in my opinion) and cost onley $1200.

-matt

A number of new custom "production" rifle operations have false started in the last few years. Before I invested in one, I would make sure someone can recommend it who has actually had a production model delivered. This particular one is not my cup of tea. I hate muzzle brakes ( as do most PHs, trackers, observers, and other bystanders), and I am not taken by its lines. All of that is subjective - find someone who owns and has shot the real deal.

You can say ugly stock again Matt. I will keep my Ruger with the afore mentioned abomination on the end of the barrel if you please.

The break is removable and it comes with a threaded cap. I personally like the stock design particularly on the Professional model. To me they seem to be a decent package - it comes bedded, ceracoated and with a sub MOA guarantee. I won't be buying a Big 5 model as I can't go past my Ruger for value and accuracy but the Professional looks like it would make a great mountain rifle.

Anyway keen to hear from anyone who has handled one.

I am not familiar with that action...is it true CRF?

I will show my ignorance...but I always expect to see a Mauser-like claw on a CRF action.

Someone who knows, tell me. Is that a true CRF action?

The rifle itself is built on the resurrected Ed Brown 704 action. Ed Brown builds some of the best 1911's in the business........and subsequently charges a lot of them as well. His 1911's are true works of art, and shoot way better than I ever could hope, which is why it would be hard for me to pay $2500- $3000 for a 1911 pistol but to each his own.

Years ago, Mr. Brown built a push feed version of his rifle (the 702 I believe) and the 704 action which is, I guess, a CRF action by definition ...think along the lines of a Sako or M16 style extractor meets a Mauser or Winchester. The extractor is under one of the opposing bolt lugs, rotates on a "hinge", and maintains tension via spring pressure. It clips over the case rim at the pick up from the magazine, and maintains control of the round until it's chambered, and also as it is extracted until the ejector pops it off the bolt face. It is not however, a true full length, Mauser-style extractor. The barrel does avoid having the extractor cut the Mauser's and Winchester's have however, which is supposedly less than desirable in regards to accuracy and safety as I'm told by those who know more than myself ;). Also, the action has a plunger style ejector like a Remington 700 instead on a slot milled into the bolt like a Winchester or Mauser 98 if you will. I handled an Ed Brown Damarra many years ago, and from what I remember it was a very well put together rifle. I think it had a very good reputation for reliability and performance in the field, but I've never used one so who knows. I think Mr. Brown's main business was the 1911 pistols and parts, and manufacturing and servicing the rifles was becoming a hinderance to that product line. That's why he stopped making them several years ago...or so I've read or heard.

EdBrownBoltFace001.jpg

http://www.shootingtimes.com/long-guns/longgun_reviews_st_edbrownvarming_200812/

As far as the builder now of the Legendary Arms rifles now, its Mark Bansner of the former Bansner's Ultimate Arms. He is a fine rifle builder by all accounts, and I know many years ago when I started toying with the idea of getting a custom rifle, I drooled over his website many a night, especially for his Ovis "Sheep" rifle. Again, I know only his reputation. Very solid rifle and great builder supposedly. I've never owned any of his rifles. He also made his on synthetic stocks (Hi Tech Customs).

The only draw back I see is that the action is a less than conventional action, so like someone said earlier, if this company doesn't make a go of it, it might be difficult to find a gunsmith to service the rifle who is familiar with the action, unlike a Winchester, Mauser, or Remington. It appears to be rather complicated with many moving parts if you will. Otherwise, I'm sure they're fine rifles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a decent rifle. I'd consider one, were the cost about $1,000 less, and were the bolt not sprial-fluted (as for the muzzle break, if threaded and provided with a cap, I'd be cool with it).

As for being CRF, this certainly looks to be the case. The extractor is of course different, but it seems to engage as much of the rim and work on essentially the same principle.

By the way, with regard to CRF, most rifles nowadays do not follow the true tradition of the design (the intent, if you will). I say this because most rifles do not follow the original principle, as established by Mauser, which precludes the ability to close the bolt on a round already in the chamber. The region of the extractor claw is relieved, allowing it to ride over the rim on closing. Well, if it can do so on closing, you damn well know it can upon opening! So, in this regard, most rifles touted as CRF are not ideal. Just wanted to get that out there.

Thanks for the info and pics CTD.

Interested to hear why you don't like the fluted bolt? Other than being largely pointless other than for weight reduction.

Cheers,
JWB300

"This gun is built on the 704 controlled round feed action" so it says on the big 5. I think it looks pretty good. Not sure of the weight of these rifles main page said 9.3 lbs but other page says 6.8-7.2 lbs. I Would practice with the muzzle brake and take it off while hunting.

Last edited:
It's just a matter of personal taste (why I don't like fluted bolts...the same goes for fluted barrels).

Fair enough! (y)

"This gun is built on the 704 controlled round feed action" so it says on the big 5. I think it looks pretty good. Not sure of the weight of these rifles main page said 9.3 lbs but other page says 6.8-7.2 lbs. I Would practice with the muzzle brake and take it off while hunting.

i dont recommend doing this. if your not accustomed to the recoil of your firearm on the hunt you might be good for the first shot but after that you run a high risk of flinching. a person should practice with a rifle in the same configuration as they will use for hunting. this includes using full power loads as light loads will not properly prepare you for full power loads while hunting.

-matt

good point matt, that's why l always leave the brake on .......:p:p:p

i dont recommend doing this. if your not accustomed to the recoil of your firearm on the hunt you might be good for the first shot but after that you run a high risk of flinching. a person should practice with a rifle in the same configuration as they will use for hunting. this includes using full power loads as light loads will not properly prepare you for full power loads while hunting.

-matt

Actually, I think it's a good idea. When hunting, recoil is furthest from one's mind; therefore, ditch the brake. While at the range, though, it's a very different story. Ideally, yeah, you'd have it the same both ways (and, ideally, no brake would exist), but the world ain't perfect (at least not yet).

I guess what I'm saying is, if you need to hunt without a brake (such as, the PH won't allow...some don't), go ahead, but don't disregard its use on the range.

good point matt, that's why l always leave the brake on .......:p:p:p

i feel for your poor PH and trackers... :eek:

CTDolan, that would depend on the type of rifle. i dont care where you are, the .500+ cartridges have a pretty heavy recoil without a brake. also something to consider is a rifle chambered in 505 Gibbs will actually have a different point of impact with and without a muzzle brake.

-matt

how many good P.Hs or Trackers , do you know that stand in front of a bloke shooting , whether he has a brake or not ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.