Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
New Norms and Standards for Hunting Methods in South Africa

The attached pdf document also includes new minimum bullet weights for rifle hunting in South Africa, minimum bullet weights and barrel length for handgun hunting, permissible bows for bow hunting, minimum requirements for bow hunting...

Attachments

• norms-standard-hunting-south-africa.pdf
    324 KB · Views: 238
Jerome

leopard 150 gr
lion - buffalo & giraffe - 250 gr
"thick-skinned animal" includes, but is not limited to, elephant, rhinoceros, hippopotamus, crocodile and buffalo;
Thick skin except buffalo 300 gr bullet must be FMJ or monolithic solid.

does this mean you could use your 338 with 300 gr solids and be legal?

Extract from "Norms and Standards for Hunting Methods in South Africa":

(2) When hunting thick-skinned animals the bullet must be of full metal jacket or monolithic solid construction.

"thick-skinned animal" includes, but is not limited to, elephant, rhinoceros, hippopotamus, crocodile and buffalo;

(e) 9.9 g. (150gr.) bullet for hunting furred game larger than the species contemplated in sub-paragraph (1 )(d), up to and including the size of blue wildebeest, kudu, gemsbuck, sable, roan and leopard;

(f) 11 g. (175gr.) bullet for hunting furred game larger than the species contemplated in sub-paragraph (1)(e), up to and Including eland, but excluding lion and buffalo;

(g) 16.2 g. (250gr.) bullet for hunting furred game larger than the species contemplated in sub-paragraph (1)(n), up to and including lion, buffalo and giraffe; and

(h) 19.5 g. (300gr.) bullet for hunting furred game larger than the species contemplated in sub-paragraph (1)(g), including thick-skinned animals, but excluding buffalo.

James, from my understanding, yes.

Perhaps, we can get confirmation from some AH South African members that these "Norms and Standards for Hunting Methods in South Africa" have already taken effect, thanks.

They have been a long time in coming. Read about them before PH school and heard in PH school they were coming.
I am not sure they are enforcing this yet though.

I don't think that anyone is about to allow you to go after a Buffalo with a 338, although apparently within the legal standard, because common sense and tradition will prevail in most cases where sane people are hunting dangerous game.
Feel free though, I'll vote for you in the Darwin Awards. :)

The minimum bow requirements (Dangerous game) are exactly along the lines of the research on the subject done by Kwazulu Natal (Now Ezemvelo) several years back. Very interesting stuff. Actual penetration tests with arrows on Buffalo carcasses.

Kinetic energy, not draw weight and minimum arrow weight of 750 grains.
I'll tell you I used 115 lbs. kinetic energy (measured shortly in front of the bow) and a 756 grain arrow and it is enough for good penetration on Buffalo. Better have a great broad head when you go after them.

It looks like a good start.
Without the ability to enforce this I do not think much will change in reality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.