Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
New Members Getting Started

Thanks for becoming a member of AfricaHunting.com!

A great place to start in the forum is to introduce yourself in our Introductions & Greets section. Our community is a friendly place to meet and discuss hunting with other members and have any of your questions answered.

You may wish to take a few minutes to fill out your member profile, this will help other members get to know a little more about you! This is also where you can access your AH account to create your signature and include an avatar. To send and receive conversation messages, go to your Inbox.

You may also be interested in checking out a few of our most popular features:
- Main Forum
- DEALS & OFFERS
- Shot Placement
- Hunting Info by Country
- Safari Planning Guide
- Photo Gallery
- Help

Featuring tens of thousand hunting and related photos submitted by our members. You can upload your own photos in the Photo Gallery which automatically creates your own member gallery.

As a member you can help our community grow by telling your friends about AfricaHunting.com.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

Looking forward to your participation.

Please create a new thread and introduce yourself to the community.
Head back here:
Introductions & Greets
Then:
"Post New Thread"

Thx for your wellcome.

My name is Daniel, and Spanish hunter. We will be in touch

Thanks again

welcome and enjoy AH Daniel .

Hi All,
Been wanting to join for a while but no internet out here, until a week or so back. Still not best connection but enough to stay in contact!

Hi Everybody, this looks like a great forum and I thank you to be part of this community.

I living some part of the year in Zambia and some part in S-A and I do have a little question to all of you that plan a South African safari :

The Roan is for me one of the most beautiful and attractive plains game and can also be a difficult to hunt, not only because its character as the 2 largest antelope, but also its tough behavior against predators that including lions, add the beautiful in combination of colors.

The negative is that the Roan is a bit expensive to shot even 25 % higher than a Sable and approximate the same as a buffalo in trophy price, is it worth the money ? For me it is, but I think that I see things different and perhaps somehow stereotype and it would be very interesting to know what you think about the Roan Antelope ?

I do not selling hunting or anything commercial, only interested how other fellow hunters see the Roan.

Thank you and best wishes, Gordon

Attachments

• Roan_antelope_nyika.jpg
    Roan_antelope_nyika.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
I´m very glad for your wellcome! Sorry about my very "short" english! but in my country this languaje is rare.... I´m very happy to share this site with everyone of you!...
We will be in touch!

Your English is very good!

Hi Guys. I am Russel G Keith presently based in the UK on the Isle of Wight. I was born in Botswana in 1957 moved to then Rhodesia and went through all the USUAL things. (Military service hunting tracking etc) and then farmed in South Africa for 27 years. I am now in the UK and I am still very much a HUNTER gatherer. I miss Africa more than most can believe and have an almost pathalogical fear that when I die my spirit wont find it way home to the bush.

Hi Guys. I am Russel G Keith presently based in the UK on the Isle of Wight. I was born in Botswana in 1957 moved to then Rhodesia and went through all the USUAL things. (Military service hunting tracking etc) and then farmed in South Africa for 27 years. I am now in the UK and I am still very much a HUNTER gatherer. I miss Africa more than most can believe and have an almost pathalogical fear that when I die my spirit wont find it way home to the bush.

From one Hunter-Gatherer to another, welcome to the forum Russel,

Your life at the least does not sound dull, being born in Botswana and living in other interesting places as you have.

You worry that your departed soul possibly will not find its way home to the bush.

I was born in Los Angeles, California and I worry that my soul possibly WILL find its way home.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Whath a wonderful feeling!!(y)

Guys Thank you for your welcome.
Velo dog you and I may just have more in common than most/many and I think we cold have many an interesting chat. ( A man sinned before man and GOD and GOD sent him to hell. He awoke in a high rise building never to see the sun and or feel the wind on his face again .............Shudder..
Guys a question. Over the years I have been involved in many hunts and a considerable amount of culling I have noticed that when (pigs and or many of the lighter antelope) are hit in the chest area by one of the light high velosety calibers often the animals does that mad "death rush and thrash" However when similar shots are pulled with the more traditional slower heavier calibers the reaction tends (but not always) to be one of the animal hunching then moving off far more slowly then collapsing. The time between impact and expiry is the about the same but the reaction very different any ideas why ???
Be saf guys.

I living some part of the year in Zambia and some part in S-A and I do have a little question to all of you that plan a South African safari :

The Roan is for me one of the most beautiful and attractive plains game and can also be a difficult to hunt, not only because its character as the 2 largest antelope, but also its tough behavior against predators that including lions, add the beautiful in combination of colors.

The negative is that the Roan is a bit expensive to shot even 25 % higher than a Sable and approximate the same as a buffalo in trophy price, is it worth the money ? For me it is, but I think that I see things different and perhaps somehow stereotype and it would be very interesting to know what you think about the Roan Antelope ?

I do not selling hunting or anything commercial, only interested how other fellow hunters see the Roan.

Thank you and best wishes, Gordon

Hi Gordon.
My experiance with Roan is limited however I do have some.
Roan are VERY habitat specific and consequently EXPENSIVE.
In my opinion they are far more dangerouse than there cousin the Sable but sadly and more importantly they are in some circles regarded to be carriers/vectors of Anthrax this can make them "more" dangerouse. So take care be aware enjoy the hunt.
Be safe.
Russel

Guys Thank you for your welcome.
Velo dog you and I may just have more in common than most/many and I think we cold have many an interesting chat. ( A man sinned before man and GOD and GOD sent him to hell. He awoke in a high rise building never to see the sun and or feel the wind on his face again .............Shudder..
Guys a question. Over the years I have been involved in many hunts and a considerable amount of culling I have noticed that when (pigs and or many of the lighter antelope) are hit in the chest area by one of the light high velosety calibers often the animals does that mad "death rush and thrash" However when similar shots are pulled with the more traditional slower heavier calibers the reaction tends (but not always) to be one of the animal hunching then moving off far more slowly then collapsing. The time between impact and expiry is the about the same but the reaction very different any ideas why ???
Be saf guys.

Russel,

Thanks and I agree that we could probably solve all the hunting world's problems (and create some new ones as well) if we had time to discuss everything.
That one about some animals reaction to HV and/or low velocity impact is a very good question.
I wish I had the answer but I do not.

The only thing I can think of at the moment, even remotely related to the subject is that; very small animals seem to expire very quickly when hit in the vitals with a HV fragile bullet, and the larger an animal is, the proportionately less likely he is to fall quickly to a HV bullet, given the same bullet placement as on the smaller animals.

Also, I think it is worth mentioning that blunt shaped bullets seem to have an effectiveness that surpasses same caliber bullets in the pointed shapes so popular today, at least on animals as they get quite a bit larger than approximately bush duiker, springbok and such similar sized critters.
Also, I find the loud "smack" sound that heavy, round nose and flat nose bullets make when impacting, to be rather comforting (from my "hunter's point of view").

I like many types of rifles and ammunition, including high velocity pointed bullets for what they were designed (except hollow points because I have had very erratic performance with them in rifles and handguns both).
I used to hunt ground squirrels, jack rabbits, marmots, coyotes and such likes when I lived in California, where there, as well as next door in Nevada, the shots can be quite long.
And for all that, I made good use of high velocity calibers and pointed bullets.

I also used them for deer and wild swine there but the few hogs I shot began to teach me that, small caliber/high velocity bullets were not as effective as I would have liked (hate to see anything shot that does not expire quickly).
I looked for the answer and slowly found it in round nose and flat nose heavy for caliber bullets when shooting stout animals like feral hogs.

For other than small animals at long range, the old fashioned heavy for caliber, blunt shaped bullets have now been my mainstay for many years, both here in Alaska where I had hunted for many years and now that I have "discovered" Africa I use them there as well.

Well anyway, I am rambling as old folks will do sometimes and I need to get out to cut some firewood.

Cheers for now,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome. You have a great website. I am planning a SA hunt in 2015 and your site has already been very helpful

This website is very impressive and the sheer size of it overwhelming!

I look forward to starting hunting soon - I bought my first rifle (Tika 30.06) last year and will be going on my first (I lie, second - I shot a Springbuck on my uncle's farm in Namibia in 1999) real hunting safari in September in Thabazimbi.

This is the first you would have heard of me, but I guarantee you not the last... ; )

Regards

Pierre

BSC be sure to ask for references for the outfitter and if possible speak to a recent user on the phone. Write your questions down in advance so that the things you are unsure of can be asked first. Start a conversation on this site with someone that has made the trip and ask them questions. People on here will be more than willing to help you get everything right.

Wow, I want to thank you all for such a warm welcome....
The people in AH are down to earth and very passionate.
Thank you for letting my team to be apart of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross