AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC, WSF, Pope and Young, Boone and Crockett, Full Curl Society, RMEF
Hunted
U.S.A. (Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Wyoming, Montana, Alaska); Namibia, RSA, Mozambique
Hello everyone...I'm Derrick, a.k.a Bivy.

I have been following this site for a little over a year following my booking of a May 2015 hunt in Namibia. AfricaHunting.com has been a tremendous resource for budgeting, packing lists, travel tips, etc. I'm grateful for all the information I received so far, and I like forward to contributing with my own hunting report following my return next month.

Visiting the African continent and immersing myself in it's widlife has been a dream of mine for as long as I can recollect; probably around 5-6 years old. However, it wasn't until discovering Ernest Hemingway's Green Hills of Africa in my middle school library that I recognized safari as an option. My thrist for African safari literature was insatiable throughout the remainder of my middle and high school years. I wore the covers off Ruark's Horn of the Hunter, Boddington's Mt. Kenya to the Cape, and a plethora of other Safari Press publishings. Additionally, some great members of the local chapter of SCI would supply me, a broke kid, with back issues of SAFARI magazine when I attended the Cleveland Sportsmen Show.

My desire to hunt Africa has not waned, and last year, as I approached 30, I realized that making the dream a reality would be the greatest self-provided birthday present I could give myself. Soooooo...here I am completing last minute details associated with my first African hunt that I will depart on in exactly two weeks. The natural resource field does not pay well, so I have worked an additionally 40-hours a week (nights and weekends) at a fast food chain to save the funds for this adventure (not joking in the slightest). My point to all is...don't wait! Turn your dreams into reality before it is too late; we never know what life has in store for us, or when we are scheduled to check-out.

Welcome to AH Bivy! What a nice post, thanks for sharing all of that with us, I'm glad that you are pursuing your passion. Wishing you an amazing time in Namibia!

BTW who are you hunting with in Namibia?

I sincerely hope that your Safari equates in splendour to the amount of sacrifice you have put in to get there.

Good luck and I am certainly looking forward to your hunting report.

Welcome to AH Bivy. Sounds you really desert this Safari with all the work you put in,good on you for making it happen.

Sure it will be one hell of a safaris and looking forward to great report.

Gday bivvy
Welcome to AH, enjoy the site, now your posting,we will enjoy your contributitions
Sounds like you worked your ass off to make the dream happen
Enjoy every facet of your hunt, you have bloody earned it ,bloke

Welcome to AH Derrick and congratulations on your tenacity and hard work to make your dream a reality!

Welcome!!!

I can relate to your dream. I first talked about hunting Cape Buffalo with my older cousin when I was 6-7 years old. Last summer the two of us did the hunt in Zim and I took the buff in my avatar.

Enjoy every second!!!! And, welcome to the posting side of things too.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I have read and re-read many of your hunting reports.

Jerome- I will be hunting with Uhlenhorst Hunting Safari's. As you are probably aware, they are a small, predominantly free-range operation. It is a mixed-bag plains game hunt including: kudu, oryx, warthog, springbok, Hartmann's zebra, etc.

I'm excited for it to come to fruition, and present my success and failures in a report. It is with both excitement and apprehension that I currently wait. I'm apprehensive of a package style hunt; as in North America we typically dedicate a week or mores focus on a single species, the multiple species African-style is a foreign concept. Additionally, my focus species, kudu, have apparently been hit hard by rabies in recent months.

Nonetheless, I recognize that the success of a safari isn't solely judged by the trophies in the salt. I selected this operation for many reasons, and have complete faith in the professional hunters. I believe there are three personal attributes that can ruin any hunt; lack of accuracy, lack of athleticism, and lack of a positive attitude. I have prepared physical and mentally, and can't wait for what Africa has in store for me.

The Green Hills of Africa really got the bug going in me as well!

Welcome and enjoy your hunt!

... I have worked an additionally 40-hours a week (nights and weekends) at a fast food chain to save the funds for this adventure (not joking in the slightest). My point to all is...don't wait! Turn your dreams into reality before it is too late; we never know what life has in store for us, or when we are scheduled to check-out.

As another who slaves 7 days a week to fuel my passion, I wish you the best on your safari. Im sure it wont be your last. (y)

Welcome to the forum sir.

Trust me, all that extra work you put in to pay for your Safari will be worth every single bit it.

Welcome Bivy! That looks like a big ol pumpkin head of a bear in your avitar !

Hello everyone...I'm Derrick, a.k.a Bivy.

I have been following this site for a little over a year following my booking of a May 2015 hunt in Namibia. AfricaHunting.com has been a tremendous resource for budgeting, packing lists, travel tips, etc. I'm grateful for all the information I received so far, and I like forward to contributing with my own hunting report following my return next month.

Visiting the African continent and immersing myself in it's widlife has been a dream of mine for as long as I can recollect; probably around 5-6 years old. However, it wasn't until discovering Ernest Hemingway's Green Hills of Africa in my middle school library that I recognized safari as an option. My thrist for African safari literature was insatiable throughout the remainder of my middle and high school years. I wore the covers off Ruark's Horn of the Hunter, Boddington's Mt. Kenya to the Cape, and a plethora of other Safari Press publishings. Additionally, some great members of the local chapter of SCI would supply me, a broke kid, with back issues of SAFARI magazine when I attended the Cleveland Sportsmen Show.

My desire to hunt Africa has not waned, and last year, as I approached 30, I realized that making the dream a reality would be the greatest self-provided birthday present I could give myself. Soooooo...here I am completing last minute details associated with my first African hunt that I will depart on in exactly two weeks. The natural resource field does not pay well, so I have worked an additionally 40-hours a week (nights and weekends) at a fast food chain to save the funds for this adventure (not joking in the slightest). My point to all is...don't wait! Turn your dreams into reality before it is too late; we never know what life has in store for us, or when we are scheduled to check-out.

Welcome to the best forum Bivy,
You're going to fit right in.

Welcome Bivy. Good luck on your safari and enjoy living your dream!

Welcome to AH Derrick! Glad to have you and looking forward to your hunting report.

Welcome a ivy. I wish you well on you upcoming hunt. Be prepared to be hooked!

Welcome to AH, Bivy, wish you the best on your upcoming hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross