NEW FROM MONTANA-HEADED TO S.A. in AUGUST

bctlaw

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello all!

I just sent my deposit in for 10 days in SA with Steyn Safaries. This will be my first trip. Looking forward to it. I'm looking for any tips any of you might have as far as when to book tickets, from as detailed to time of day to as general as time of year. I found a great ticket last saturday (2 stops, no europe, direct from the US) for 1600 on saturday morning, but my dates weren't firm. I haven't seen that ticket again since. Are there travel agents any of you recommend? I see Lori's ad on the right. I'll give her a call. Any other tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

Ben

Ben

1st. Welcome to AH.

From Montana i would suggest you check with Lori and have her work on your airline schedule try and leave at least 3 hours between connecting flight as some are delayed.

Have your phone activated for international travel and have your travel agent on speed dial if flight are canceled or delayed. Or just maybe you just decide to stay an extra day or two.

Do not forget to check with the airline you are traveling with to make sure your baggage and rifle meet there requirements.

I would suggest you use a agent to help you get through SA rifle customs and allow at least 4 to 5 hours between connecting flight there. Or better yet stay over night and leave the next day. Some great motels are near the SA Airport. Have all your paper work filled out and make an extra copy for yourself.

Obtain your letter of invite and again make an extra copy.

Money wise check with Lori, however you will need some way to pay for your safari, i would suggest you have something set up prior to leaving so that you do not need to take a bundle of cash with you. travelers checks usually do not work, however sometimes they do so check with your outfitter on how they would like to be paid.

Baggage: Normal for travel is one rifle case with one or two rifles, one checked bag with a locked shell case inside plus your luggage and then your carry on bag with camera, money, med and so on. KNOW WHERE YOUR LUGGAGE TAGS ARE AT ALL TIMES

I do not sleep well on the airplane so i Take along some American outdoors magazines to read on the flight over and then leave them in camp. Have a return book for the long flight home.

There are other forum posts that you should research to help you along.

Welcome to the forum, Ben !

Good luck on your trip to Africa. Definitely give Lori a call.

Welcome to AH.

Read the guide J suggested and you will have some ideas.
Lori's web site has some tips for hunting travellers.

Good luck.

Welcome bctlaw and fellow Montanan! I received your email today so will research the schedules/price and get back to you on it.

FYI for everyone - the other item not to be overlooked when booking a safari/hunt is trip insurance. For the policy that I recommend, there are added benefits to purchasing within 15 days of your initial deposit. When I hear from clients to look into airfare then it's normally more than 15 days since they booked/paid deposit on the trip. If you are going to make the investment for the insurance then you might as well get the most out of it!

Welcome to AH! If this hunt is with Abie Steyn then I believe you will be in Mpumalanga province. If this is the case, I would highly recommend going a few days early and take the opportunity to tour Kruger National Park. Kruger could be viewed somewhat as the Yellowstone of South Africa. I would do this at the start of your trip which will give you the chance to adjust to the time change.

Welcome to AH. Read the links suggested, depending on where you are going, and what time of year you probably should see a doctor and get his suggestions on vaccines....Don't believe all you read on the CDC site. My wife and I went in the summer (SA Winter) and all we did was update tetanus, lifetime HEP A/B, and Typhoid.

Riflepermits.com do a great job. Once the guns were unloaded I was in and out in 5 minutes tops.

Read some books too it not only helps build excitement, but most have good ideas. By the pocket version of the perfect shot..then listen to your PH as he'll tell you where to put it.

Take a .375 H & H, and an .06.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your first trip to SA:)

Ben
Welcome to the forum. Enjoy gathering information and sharing your experience after your return.
Remember to also ENJOY the PLANNING PROCESS since it is a huge part of your safari...
Namibian greetings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross