shuter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.roboliveauthor.com
Media
Hunted
Oregon, Montana
Okay, this should probably be posted in the addiction group. Several of you told me when I posted pics of my new Model 70 Safari Express .375 H&H several months back that there would be other "African rifles", or big bores, or whatever. I thought there probably wouldn't be. I was wrong. See, at this rate, I'll never hunt Africa; but now I've gone and picked up the second of my 2-rifle African battery...just in case! I got all worked up over the idea of a .400 Jeffery (sounds cooler than .450/.400 3" Nitro Express to me) after deciding I wanted a "shootable" big bore and pouring over ballistics tables, checking out availability of brass, loaded ammo, etc. Plus, I love the nostalgia of it.

I knew I couldn't afford a double, but Boddington's book made the Farquharson sound cool. Couldn't afford one of those either. So, I find that Ruger made some #1 rifles in the caliber awhile back and searched online. Then I found out they made some in the "Boddington Series" that had a matte finish, fixed single leaf rear and white bead front sights, and came with Warne rings. So I searched some more till I found an unfired one on Gun Broker located a couple hours away from me! Got it for a very fair price that included 60 rounds of factory Hornady ammo and 80 pieces of virgin brass, along with dies. Couldn't say no.

Got it, shot it a few times, and loved it! But couldn't leave well enough alone, so I ordered a 1" red Pachmayr pad and a Graco BreakO recoil reducer (adds 15 ounces). I did a little fitting for the reducer and had the pad installed. I also replaced the safety with a TROP safety. It's a thing of beauty; but more importantly, the brass doesn't catch on it when ejected as it did with the stock safety. Was a bit of a pain to install, but if I can do it, a friggin' monkey can (no exaggeration there). Finally, I added a traditional-type sling from NECG (New England Custom Gun service).

Just got it all put back together today, and here are the pics! Only thing left is to add the Leupold FX-II fixed 2.5X scope when it arrives. I'll be using low Ruger rings for it, since the Warnes sit a bit high for my taste, and the scope will just clear the fixed rear sight. Anyway, thanks for listening to my rambling. Here she is:
IMG_2377.JPG
IMG_2359.jpg
IMG_2370.jpg
IMG_2351.jpg
IMG_2353.jpg
IMG_2356.jpg

Last edited:
The number ones are indeed beautiful. Shutter was there a particular model number Pachmayer pad that you purchased?

The number ones are indeed beautiful. Shutter was there a particular model number Pachmayer pad that you purchased?
Yep. Decelerator 752B, 1.0" Medium. Ordered same pad in black for another rifle as well. Same part number for it; also a medium size.

Okay, this should probably be posted in the addiction group. Several of you told me when I posted pics of my new Model 70 Safari Express .375 H&H several months back that there would be other "African rifles", or big bores, or whatever. I thought there probably wouldn't be. I was wrong.

At least you're admitting your denial
:)

Yep. Decelerator 752B, 1.0" Medium. Ordered same pad in black for another rifle as well. Same part number for it; also a medium size.

One more question. Did this referenced pad fit or did you have to grind it down?

Had to be ground. Gunsmith did it. No prefit pads for the #1.

Shuter,

This rifle and scope combination begs for you to begin saving now, towards a Livingston's eland hunt at Mr. Spike.T's outfit in Zambia.

My first .375 H&H was a Ruger#1 with the exact same scope you have chosen and I later put the scope on a different .375 H&H rifle for my 2nd safari.

But, it turned out that of all 9 animals I took that time, the single shot would have done just as well as the rifle I did bring.

Your .400 is one of the all-time great African cartridges.

You cannot go wrong with it.

You will be happy with your choice in rifle, caliber and scope.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Shuter,

This rifle and scope combination begs for you to begin saving now, towards a Livingston's eland hunt at Mr. Spike.T's outfit in Zambia.

My first .375 H&H was a Ruger#1 with the exact same scope you have chosen and I later put the scope on a different .375 H&H rifle for my 2nd safari.

But, it turned out that of all 9 animals I took that time, the single shot would have done just as well as the rifle I did bring.

Your .400 is one of the all-time great African cartridges.

You cannot go wrong with it.

You will be happy with your choice in rifle, caliber and scope.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
My friend, I would dearly love to; and perhaps it'll happen. Thanks for the kind words on the rig. I will have that little scope tomorrow via UPS and will post a pic with it mounted. Love this rifle and love that cartridge! It just looks so...Nitro Expressy!

I know it's only a single shot, but I would love to take a buffalo with this rifle some day, as it seems to be the perfect buff round.

i love the 450/400 caliber but I just can not seem to get my head around the Ruger #1 , I recently saw a full stock 7x57 and was tempted to purchase it , however I backed out of the sale.

good luck with your #1 , i hope you have many enjoyable hunts with it.

I know it's only a single shot, but I would love to take a buffalo with this rifle some day, as it seems to be the perfect buff round.

No reason why you can't. Just make that one shot count! :)

i love the 450/400 caliber but I just can not seem to get my head around the Ruger #1 , I recently saw a full stock 7x57 and was tempted to purchase it , however I backed out of the sale.

good luck with your #1 , i hope you have many enjoyable hunts with it.

You don't know what you are missing. The #1s are straight shooting rifles that have little to get in the way of bringing down a trophy. One shot is all it takes. I am now the proud owner of two #1s in 300 win mag and 458 Lott.

You don't know what you are missing. The #1s are straight shooting rifles that have little to get in the way of bringing down a trophy. One shot is all it takes. I am now the proud owner of two #1s in 300 win mag and 458 Lott.

it is not the action or the 1 shot that puts me off , it is the plain or should I say lack of "life" stock .

it is not the action or the 1 shot that puts me off , it is the plain or should I say lack of "life" stock .
In terms of the figure of the wood (if that's what you're referring to), some of them are gorgeous. This one - although the Boddington Series is supposed to have special Circassian walnut stocks - is quite plain, unfortunately. But that plus the matte finished steel give it a utilitarian look that I find attractive. To each his own!

This is my 3rd #1, by the way. The other two are stainless laminates, in .45-70 and .405 Win. Will have to get pics of them up one of these days. Different, but kinda cool.

Couple other thoughts on this rifle after the mods: Installing the almost one-pound recoil reducer in the buttstock gives the rifle almost perfect balance - a big improvement. Also, I'd recommend the Trop safety to anyone with a #1, shooting long, rimmed cartridges especially. The factory safety design is ridiculous in that many large cartridges hang up on it when ejected. I'm going to look into replacing them on my other two #1's as well, but don't know whether they make a stainless version.

Very nice weapon. Enjoy it. Take it on an adventure.

In terms of the figure of the wood (if that's what you're referring to), some of them are gorgeous. This one - although the Boddington Series is supposed to have special Circassian walnut stocks - is quite plain, unfortunately. But that plus the matte finished steel give it a utilitarian look that I find attractive. To each his own!

This is my 3rd #1, by the way. The other two are stainless laminates, in .45-70 and .405 Win. Will have to get pics of them up one of these days. Different, but kinda cool.
@shuter , please don't take my comments wrong , I wish you all the best with your rifle , it's just my view that I cant get used to the stock. perhaps I am just expecting more from it ? I have some rifles that most of you wouldn't look twice at but I love them and they perform every time I use them in the bush .

once again enjoy your new rifle , come use it where it belongs .... Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg