Never go into the hunting area without...

Patrick R

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
What is the most necessary item/s to take with you while on a hunting safaris?

Hunters don’t want to take unnecessary items with them but do always ask the question “what if…?” and then arriving in the hunting area with too many ‘gadgets’ and unnecessary stuff that is actually not going to be use while hunting. A Hunter have to carry his rifle, bino’s, range finder, extra bullets – this already is adding to that extra weight. Obviously all ‘unnecessary’ items cause obstruction in movement or even exhaustion or dehydration can creep in…

So what will the most necessary item/s to take with you on a hunting safari?

A good knife

I would say it essential next to a rifle, ammo & bino's; a good and trusty knife, up to most tasks the field can throw at you. For me it would either be my Gerber Harsey Hunter or Woodlore 25th anniversary knife.

I always take with me on a hunt is a compass & matches! Granted in Africa the compass wouldn't have helped to much as I didn't know where the hell I was, But I could have walked in a straight line to find a fence & hopefully the way out! Matches.. since I don't smoke no more - you may want a fire if you end up spending the night or get lost!
These 2 items don't take up much room but they could save your life!!!

An extra pair of socks. Nothing like changing socks after walking 4 or 5 hours.

Wet wipes (yes, the same unscented ones I use on my baby). Never head into the wet Alaskan bush or hot AZ hills without them. Many uses that I won't go into.

Well I've only been to Africa once, but I still brought along my "essentials" kit. It's basically items in my hunting vest or a small pouch on my belt, but it contains what I wouldn't be in the bush without. It includes; knife on my belt, multitool, cigarette lighter, small flashlight, band-aids w/medical tape, compass, aspirins and medications(3 days worth),and TP. I'm sure most of us would already be carrying water and our guns & ammo anyway.

Africa essentials

Rifle and ammo go without saying. Your skinners and trackers are your compass/GPS/map and your PH should be your rangefinder, and you should be able to come to some arrangement and have someone carry your water. BUT a camera,a small flashlight and a few cable ties are essential! Without a camera you won't be able to photograph the crazy terrain, thorns and grass they push you through to find your buffalo, and you won't be able to get your picture taken, all hot and bothered on the sandy river banks as the sun goes down behind you. And when you don't get your buffalo that afternoon and you have to walk 5 miles back to camp with all sorts of interesting noises around you, you'll appreciate the light. They won't collect you if you don't have meat! And the cable ties will repair your rifle sling, hold your boot on, or allow you to strap your flashlight to your rifle if the need arises!
If you're hunting in South Africa, take anything you like as the vehicle is never too far away!

Texas Hunt Co. - PH Utility Belt
LGphubelt_2.jpg

I’m a “suspenders, and belt” kind of guy, and I have made it to 73 yrs of age because of that fact. The belt above is a fine piece of kit, and takes the pain out of carrying you stuff.

You never know when you might have to spend the night on the tracks, and it gets cold at night in Africa, so another thing that takes up no space at all is a little folded and unopened Space Blanket. I small Garmin GPS unit with info for the eara where you are hunting is a valuable item. It isn’t imposible for your PH, and/or tracker to be injured leaving it up to you to go for the bakki, the GPS will take you there, and bring you back to your injured friends. A surefire torch and an extra set of batteries for it helps. I always have a knife whether in the bush or in camp!

I also usually have a small rucksac carried by a tracker with extra water, and sling for my rifle, and a lighter to build a fire.

Attachments

• LGphubelt_2.jpg
    LGphubelt_2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 353
An Eagle Tac pocket flashlight and my Swiss knife. That knife has been around the world at least a dozen times. Also, a small first aid kit with Immodium and a good laxative. I carry a fanny pack that I leave on the truck with odds and ends.. spare camera and flash batts, maybe handi wipes in case I get some blood on me. I never bother with a GPS. I always have a pack of tissues and I always carry hard candy for the boys and the boss. Great way to make friends. And definitely a good pocket camera. I never leave the truck without mine.

Fanny Pack

I had some clients that is talking about a 'fanny pack' - Does anyone have a photo of it...?

My camera. I like to think my memory is good but in all reality, it really helps relive the hunt through video and pictures.

Here is a basic fanny pack. Worn around the waist...above the fanny!

1068d1256830753-never-go-into-hunting-area-without-g-11068.gif

Attachments

• G-11068.gif
    G-11068.gif
    114.4 KB · Views: 181
Last edited by a moderator:
I found very useful to have camel pack. 2.5L was enough for my morning hunt in hot & dry Namibia. Didn't leave lodge without it.

I always carry a fanny-pack (about 1/3 as big as the one TOM pictured) with my "essentials", and in Africa I also leave a day pack in the vehicle with my secondary items.

My fanny pack weighs 5 lbs and I fitted it with shoulder straps. In it I have: a small folding saw, toilet paper, electrictians tape, orange flagging, matches, propane lighter, pitch nodules, small candy bars, trail mix, whistle, handi wipes, parachute cord, knife sharpner, ear plugs, ash bottle, pen light, extra AA batteries, cotton gloves, and a light lunch. I have a belt knife, extra ammo, and a pocket camera on the belt of this pack.

Some interesting stories from my fanny pack include:

While buffalo hunting in Zimbabwe, my PT spilled some diesel fuel on his hands. He was trying (unsuccessfully) to clean his hands with dirt and water. I gave him a couple of handi wipes (from a BBQ resturant at home) and he got the diesel smell off his hands.

In South Africa my PH, Tracker, and I were a mile or so from the truck stalking something when the strap on the tracker's binocs broke. A small piece of parachute cord from my fanny pack fixed him right up.

The exit hole from my .375 RUM was a little larger than desired for photos of a Black Springbok that I shot. My PH was trying to pull the edges of hide over the hole for the hero pictures, so I asked him if he wanted to sew them together. He gave me a funny look and said something about not having a needle and thread in the bush. I produced a small (hotel gift) sewing kit from my backpack, and we sewed the hide together for the pictures.

Caribou hunting in northern Canada, my eskimo guide was working on a caribou that my partner had shot, when I spotted several bulls a couple of miles away but comming our way. My guide said OK for me to put a stalk on them. I shot one a 1/2 mile or so from where my guide was. The stunted spruce hillside all looked the same, and I didn't have any flagging to mark my trail so I used the whistle in my fanny pack to guide my guide to me. He didn't come, so I built a smokey fire to show him where I was. I later asked him if he had heard my whistle and he said he did, but thought it was some kind of strange bird.

And finally, in KW Natal, my first shot on a Common Reedbuck was not as good as it should have been. The ram laid down in the tall grass and when we got close, he would get up, run a couple hundred yards, and lay down again. This happened several times and as we ran after him, my camera would flop on the belt of my fanny pack, and I was afraid it would break off and I would loose it, so I asked my PH if he would carry it for me. He did, and I was able to keep up running with the trackers and got a killing shot on the Reedbuck. When my PH caught up to us, I thanked him for carrying my pack, and he thanked me for letting him carry it because he said that way he did not have to run to keep up with us.

If hunting Africa, I take a rifle and a full ammo belt, binocs, a squirt bottle of ash, thats it..The staff carries water, and some food..I have no need for a range finder in Africa or a knife as the staff all carry knives. I have a ruck sack of stuff in the truck in case I feel the need for something.

I go as light as possible even in the USA, but locally I will carry considerably more stuff with me. I decide that at the time I walk away from the truck and it's based on how long I intend to be gone..Common since should dictate this on a case by case basis.

Insect repellant is a must

I just got back from Africa and had Tick Fever. So I say spray all your clothes before stepping into the bush.

There is one item I never go into the field without, and that is a First Aid kit. You never know when accidents happen, and I feel it is a good thing to be prepared for the worst.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois