Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
My son and I are planning to bird hunt in eastern Colorado next fall. The plan is to hunt quail one day and pheasants the second day. I have hunted quail many years ago, but never pheasant. We will be working with a guide and dog on both days.

I will use a 20 ga. O/U on the quail and 12 ga. 1100 on pheasant. My thinking is low brass 7 1/2 or 8 s on the quail and high brass 6 s or 7 1/2 s on the pheasant. Not sure at this time what my son will be using. Let me know if I am on the right track here. Your recommendations will be appreciated!

Do you like a lot of pellets in your birds?

Quail use trap loads in 7 1/2 or 8 shot.
Pheasants use high base 4 or 5 shot.

Since you will be over dogs your shots should be shorter. High brass is fine but you might notice by the end of the day. Best to look at the weight of shot per shell, such as at least 1 oz 7 1/2 or 8 on quail, and #5 or#6 on the pheasant, and 1 1/8 oz to 1 1/4 oz. If you can use a nickel plated on the pheasant, try that. If you can you should pattern several loads on paper at 25 to 40 yds to see what shoots best and what choke to use. Try modified first.
DSC00229.JPG

Couple of key factors

I'll skip to the Pheasant hunting.

What type of dog?
Pointer or Flushing dog
Pointers in close
Flushing dogs likely further out and require a little more choke and reflexes.

When in the Season?
Early or late - Heavier feathers, wild flushes, etc.
Early - I'd use 7 1/2.
Late - use 5's in 1 1/4

Chokes
Early or late
Flushing or Pointer
Cylinder to Improved Mod.

Your gauges look about perfect for the birds you're after.

Have fun. Shoot straight and post some pictures. :)

Thanks to all three of you so far. Anything pertaining to the pheasants is all new to me, so keep it coming!
Sierraone

Pheasants are big quail that just run a little more. :)

Reactions: lcq
I would say 7 1/2 light game loads for the quail out of nothing tighter then a mod.choke.

For pheasant I like to use the prairie storm by federal. I use a mod choke. Load first shoot with #6 2/34 and then #4 for second or third as they get out at longer range. If birds are holding real tight I will do 2 rounds of #6 then last the #4.

That prairie storm is some of the best I have seen on birds and the black cloud steel is great on geese and ducks.

I guess I've never put that much thought and effort into it. I shoot a 7 1/2 for quail and a 5 for pheasant I like the copper plated pheasant rounds. I guess I've aways done that because I don't like carrying a bunch of different types of shells. I'm a simple sort of fellow and really don't shoot a shotgun all that well anyway.

Growing up I just walked out of the house to hunt either. I just used 7.5 or 8 shot lowbase "dove loads" for quail in a cyl or modified choke. For pheasants I used high base 6 and 5 shot in cyl bore when flushing close and mod for all others. Nothing fancy and they always fell when hit well. These were all wild birds. For pen raised birds a loud air horn will probably cause them to drop from a heart attack along with the effort to fly.

Thanks to all of your posts. It has helped me considerably!

............ For pen raised birds a loud air horn will probably cause them to drop from a heart attack along with the effort to fly.

I prefer a starters pistol. It goes well with the hunting theme and ensures a quick kill. :)

Last edited:
Early season quail and pheasants over a pointer: 20 ga, 7 1/2's or 6's using improved and mod chokes.

Late season pheasants: 12 ga, 4's or 6's, modified chokes (birds tend to jump a bit wild)

Good post, as I’m also going on my first “guided” pheasant hunt this year. I bought a Franchi 12 gauge affinity and have Boss 2 3/4 inch #5 for the hunt. Hunt will take place on late October over dogs so I believe I should be good. I will though by some #6 as some stated that would be beneficial for a longer shot. Hopefully it won’t be needed! Lol.

Sierraone, all excellent info in my experience!
Are these wild birds or planted?
Where in Colorado will you be hunting?
With whom will you be hunting?
I ask these questions because living in Colorado I have hunted a lot of the preserves early each year to warm my GSP up for wild birds. Also hunted lots of “walk-in” and state wildlife areas mainly in the northeast (best populations especially along the South Platte River).

Patterning your guns with the loads before going is a very good idea. People check their rifles each year, but never check their shotguns! There can be big holes in the patterns depending on choke, shot load, shot hardness, even your mount and fit can make a difference.

I hoped sierraone would give us the thrilling conclusion to some of this adventure-but doesn’t look like it on this post at least. I love my Franchi 20 o/u. Usually just shoot sixes for everything, pretty common to kill pheasant while hunting quail and vise versa, maybe a sharptail or prairie chicken in the right area.

For hunting quails , I used to prefer 12 bore 2 3/4 inch Eley Alphamax 36 gram number 7 birdshot shells ( unfortunately , they are no longer being manufactured ) . I currently prefer 12 bore 2 3/4 inch RWS 36 gram number 7 birdshot shells .

For hunting pheasants , I used to prefer 12 bore 2 3/4 inch Eley Alphamax 36 gram number 6 birdshot shells ( unfortunately , they are no longer being manufactured ) . I currently prefer 12 bore 2 3/4 inch RWS 36 gram number 6 birdshot shells .

If they’re wild birds I’d use 1 oz high velocity 7 1/2’s on quail in the 20 gauge and 1 1/4 oz high velocity loads of 5’s on pheasant.

If they’re pen raised birds 7 1/2’s are fine for everything. Pen raised pheasant may fly well if properly conditioned, but they’re not nearly as tough as wild birds.

Is this a wild or released hunt?

I like heavy low brass 7, 7.5, or 8s for quail. They are fat little birds so you might think about the 7 or 7.5

Pheasant, if wild birds would use 12ga highbrass 5's or 6's. If a released hunt id think imp, imp-mod, or mod would be fine. Wild hunt id pick mod or full depending on hunting pressure. If wild with high pressure, I think its worth considering buying a couple boxes of cheap 2 3/4 or 3" #6 turkey loads. They are quite popular in the dead of winter when they flush 40 yards out. Just something to think about

If there is the chance of flushing both types of birds the same day, I think you are better off shooting high brass 6's in either gauge

6 year old thread guys.
:ROFLMAO: :cry:
I didn't see that! Well, it sounds like a great time for Sierraone and son! Hope they enjoyed it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Longrange33

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 29 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross