Need Some Suggestions

iowaducker

Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hello all, this is my first post on the site, but have read through many posts and articles after recently becoming very interested in African game, and love the site.

Like I mentioned above I have over the past year or become very interested in goign to Africa and even more recently got interested in doing a safari. I have discussed this with my wife and think I have her convinced it would be an incredible trip and recently she said go ahead and start looking. With that being said I want to make sure that this is a trip that both of us will enjoy and not just me, she is very into photography so I don't think that is much of an issue, but I want her to be comfortable and able to relax also.

I on the other hand have a wish list of animals as long as my arm, but my top 3 priorities would be to take a nice Kudu, a Red Hartebeest as well as a Warthog, and have a chance at a Gemsbok, Springbok and Wildebeest, but would be open to pretty much any plains game.

Taking all this into account I guess I have 3 main questions.

1. What aould be the preferred country to look at in terms of the game mentioned above? Namibia seems to be a good choice, but I wanted to get some other opinions.

2. Does anyone have suggestions for outfitter or camps that would allow me to hunt hard and yet be a nice enough place where my wife could relax or go along to take pictures.

3. Since this would be a first time trip would I be better off doing a daily hunt rate and trophy fees or look at a package. I know ther are alot of opinions on this, but most packages I see have animals included that are not very desirable for me to harvest.

Thanks in advance for any help, and I look forward to readign the responses.

iowaducker

welcome to AH.

i would suggest you look at South Africa, Zimbabwe & Namibia.

I am assuming (you know what that means) you are going on a 7 to 10 days safari, looking for 6 or more quality animals.

On this site go to the outfitter section and look by country at the PH or outfitters who have a good rating.

Look at the camps and compare the option available for your wife. All camps are different in what they provide.

If you are setting your goals for the 3 animals you have listed than i would do the daily rate hunting one on one with your wife as an observer. Paying daily fees for animals as they are taken. Make sure your PH or outfitter know what your primary goals are with your secondary opportunities as they occur.

i would guess that the daily rate would be + or - $400 for the majority of daily fees. Now per animal fee will be different depending on where you are looking at going. this is where yo will need to do your trade offs or change your primary trophy list.

Your first 3 should be easily fitted in by the majority of outfitters, along with Blue or Black wildebeest. With Gemsbok and Springbok this will narrow your selection down to a few that will meet your needs.

Welcome to your newest addiction/ compulsion.
I sent you a PM.

James shared some good ideas.
There are lots of good outfits here on AH that are supportive of the community and participate and are up front honest and open.

There are more than 40 species to hunt.

Glad you have Kudu at the top of the list. Chase a Kudu, don't care where, but you have to hunt a Kudu.
Red Hartabeest run wild in Namibia. They can be hunted in many places in SA.
Warthogs, all over the place.

Gemsbok, Springbok, Wildebeest (Blue) most outfits will be able to arrange a hunt for these. SA and NA.
Sometimes they are all in one property.
Sometimes not.

If you are concerned about how you hunt make sure the property is large enough.
Some game farms in SA can be a little small for my taste. You decide, as it is just my personal preference.

Welcome iowaducker,
This can be the greatest hunting experience of your life. I wanted to cry when it was
time to come home. Stay as long as you can. Take the time to enjoy all of it. PM sent.

Hi, We are a hunting Outfitter in Namibia in Northern Namibia. We do have very good Kudu, Oryx, Hardebeest,Eland,Warthog, Blessbok, Ducker,Steenbok and Zebra. We do walk and stalk unts. You will be the only hunting party on the farm. We do not like to take 2 parties at the same time. Your wife can join you on the hunt and take pictures if she likes.I will send you more details.
I have sent you a PM
regards Margie

Have a look at the packages! If you find one with all the critters on your 'really want them' list, then consider it! One has to bear in mind that the 'outfitter' has a 'quota' of animals on his property that need harvesting each year to keep the ecology (ecologists more like!!) happy. Usually these animals have to be paid for by him whether he takes them or not...so the smaller less desirable critters are added to the most sought after ones list to sweeten the pot so to speak. Don't sweat it! Just go get what you want and leave the rest...do the math and see if it's worth it! Sometimes the little critters provide a good challenge and fill in hours of fun hunting...make the PH work for them! They also make for nice 'Diorama' mounts!

I on the other hand have a wish list of animals as long as my arm, but my top 3 priorities would be to take a nice Kudu, a Red Hartebeest as well as a Warthog, and have a chance at a Gemsbok, Springbok and Wildebeest, but would be open to pretty much any plains game.

With your wish list, they're only available in Namibia or SA. Namibia has BIG wide open properties whereas SA's a more confined!

Hi iowaducker for a first time hunt in Africa with the wife I would suggest South Africa or Namibia and as for recommendation you will get lots of PM's from outfiters that look at this thread however as my recommendation feel free to read my report on the East Cape here is a link if you would like to look at it. http://www.africahunting.com/south-...st-cape-south-africa-huntershill-safaris.html ;) The wife and I will be back there on the 29th of May 2012.

Thank You

Appreciate all the input on this topic, it gives me some very good places to start looking. I also appreciate the PM's and may get in contact with some of you to pick your brains, I'm very excited about the possibility of doing this and just want to make sure I do all of my homework.

One thing I should have mentioned is that where ever I hunt I want I don't want to hunt a fenced farm and I want to shoot animals in their natural area/environment. I have nothing against people hunting in a fenced area, it is just a personal preference of mine to hunt free ranging animals.

Thanks again

iowaducker

Do not close your self off fenced area ranches.

many have 25,000 acres or larger operations.

some are only fenced on 1 or 2 sides and the fence is falling apart in places.

Keep your options open and find out how large of a ranch is being offered.

My wife & I hunted Namibia last summer W/ Christi Liebenberg & his wife, Velia. We spot/stalked most of the animals on your list and my wife shot loads of photos...This young couple, both born & bred on Nam. ranches, do it all...Christi & his tracker Petrus are superb , and Velia can set up a phot shoot to top all others (She also does photo-shoot/sightseeing/tribal visits)...www.hatari.com.na Tell them Joe & Ruthie say Hi...

Hello all, this is my first post on the site, but have read through many posts and articles after recently becoming very interested in African game, and love the site.

Like I mentioned above I have over the past year or become very interested in goign to Africa and even more recently got interested in doing a safari. I have discussed this with my wife and think I have her convinced it would be an incredible trip and recently she said go ahead and start looking. With that being said I want to make sure that this is a trip that both of us will enjoy and not just me, she is very into photography so I don't think that is much of an issue, but I want her to be comfortable and able to relax also.

Taking all this into account I guess I have 3 main questions.

1. What aould be the preferred country to look at in terms of the game mentioned above? Namibia seems to be a good choice, but I wanted to get some other opinions.

2. Does anyone have suggestions for outfitter or camps that would allow me to hunt hard and yet be a nice enough place where my wife could relax or go along to take pictures.

3. Since this would be a first time trip would I be better off doing a daily hunt rate and trophy fees or look at a package. I know ther are alot of opinions on this, but most packages I see have animals included that are not very desirable for me to harvest.

Thanks in advance for any help, and I look forward to readign the responses.

We invite you to view the comments from our REFERENCES on this site. Ask us for our REFERENCE list if you need their contact names and numbers. We gladly share them with you.

We experience more than 80% returning clients with Kowas. We take in only one group at a time - do not combine the groups.

Enjoy the planning process...It is part of your safari.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg