Need help IMPORTING a rifle from the USA - Hartzview Hunting Safaris

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Hartzview Hunting Safaris, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Hartzview Hunting Safaris

Hartzview Hunting Safaris SPONSOR AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe
    Hey guys,

I would like to request some help from our great group of people on this forum. I had my agent buy me a .416 Ruger Alaskan to bring over for me in October. I just love the gun after I shot a clients a couple of months ago.

Now the hard part is here..... Arranging permits and paperwork to make sure all goes well and smooth on both sides of the world.

Have any of you guys ever brought over a gun for your outfitter or PH?

If so what paperwork did you need to permanently export the rifle from the US?

South Africans..... Have you ever recieved a gun in this manner and what paper work did you had to fill out? I understand that the rifle has to go to a gun dealer until I have recieved my license for the rifle. I already have a friend that will help me with that.

I just want to make sure we do not mis a step and I want to avoid a time consuming process.

Thank you all in advance for the help.

Best regards,

Jacques
  2. PeteG

PeteG AH Enthusiast

Jacques,

I am not is RSA, I'm in Zambia and it is quite tough getting rifles in here too.
    I have just recently ordered a .416 rem mag from Russ Gould. He organized a chap over in the states to do the documentation and shipping on that side. It took him quite a while to find the right guy who could do it, maybe you can drop him an email and find out if he can help get the paperwork sorted on his side.
    On importing from my side, we have been delayed quite a bit with authorization from the Zambian govt. as to be expected.

On your side, I cant help at all unfortunately.

Russ Gould
    email : russ@vh2q.com
    he has a couple of websites;
    Double Gun Headquarters: Fine English, American and German Double Shotguns, Double Rifles, and Wingshooting in North America, Africa, Argentina, England and Spain (Double Gun HQ)
    Big Five Headquarters: Bolt (Magazine) and Double Rifles, Hunting Safaris for African Plains and Dangerous Game, and Exotic Game Hunts in Argentina (Big Five HQ)
    Varmint Hunter Headquarters: Precision Rifles, Optics and Reloading Gear for the Varmint (Varmit) Hunter (Varmint Hunter HQ)

Hope he can help.
  3. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
  4. Hartzview Hunting Safaris

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    Thank you Pete and Jerome. I will follow up and hopefully we can get the ball rolling on both sides pretty quick.
  5. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    The fun part about being an alien to the USA is that you have to have a US citizen complete all the paperwork for you. That person has to be licensed under those laws/regs illustrated above.

$250.00 for the State Department and another $250 to fill out the paperwork.

Don't forget the ATF
    ATF Online - Forms - Firearms

ATF F 5320.9 (Form 9) Application and Permit for Permanent Exportation of Firearms

Don't forget that other department. CBP:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/388/~/permanently-exporting-a-firearm,-gun,-handgun,-rifle,-shotgun,-pistol,-etc.

Take you headache medicine now.
  6. KMG Hunting Safaris

KMG Hunting Safaris SPONSOR AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    PHASA ; SCI ; DSC ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand
    Jacques,
    Basically as the law stands at the moment, a client cannot come over here and hunt and leave the firearm as a tip. The reason for this is simple, and that is because that firearm is only on a temporary import permit. Should the client wish to give the firearm as a tip, he would need to take it back with him to his country of origin and complete the documentation for a perminent import permit, and ship it back here. From there the rifle will have to go into safekeeping, or you can obtain a storage permit while you apply for the licence.
  7. Frederik

Frederik AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    BASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique and Sweden
    Jaques give me a call.
  8. Hartzview Hunting Safaris

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    Thank you Frederik. I will call a little later, catching up with paperwork as I am heading back to the Kalahari again this afternoon. I understand what you are saying Marius, but this will not be a tip. I bought the gun through my agent in the US, as I cannot buy it directly because I do not have a social security number. The agent is just bringing the gun over for me and from the airport my friend with a gun dealership license will take the rifle to his shop for safe keeping untill I get my license.

Thank you for the input though and I will talk to you soon Frederik.

Jacques
  9. shangwari

shangwari

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, BASA , PHASA
    Hunted:
    RSA,NAMIBIA,MOZAMBIQUE,ZIMBABWE
    Jaques.
    I am buisy with the same headaches.My CFR officer recons normal SAP 520 for permanent import, the person who brings the rifle must do a permanent export permit from the country off origin.you must allso put together with SAP 520 all relevant docs like notivation,rifle copy permit,passport copy off current owner ex.then when you have athe permanent import the person can bring the rifle to you in person and you must be at the airport with your permanent inport to get the firearms through the SAPS office.then you can apply for a license.
    well this is how i have the info and am currently waiting for my permanent import permit.
    let me know how your paperwork goes.