Stretch

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA , Canada, Botswana
My wife and I am in the planning stage of our 1st Africa Safari. We have booked a hunt with Kuvhima Safaris. They have a taxidermist they recommend that I have heard good reports. Our wish list includes 4-6+ plains game animals. Our trophy room at both our home and cabin are pretty full. I have been doing European skull mounts on most of our recent trophy's. We have an idea that we would like to have an African wall filled will skull mounts. If we do go this route my question is...Is it better to hire the services of a taxidermist in Africa to handle and see through the dip and ship process or would it be better (cheaper) to hire the dip and ship company straight up. There would be no capes involved just skull and horns. I contacted a dip and ship company in south Africa (Trophy Solutions Africa) for a preliminary quote just to get an idea of cost. You can visit their site at Home Page The complete process including dip, permits, shipping and a bunch of other administrative charges was quoted approximate $1500
I have not as of yet contacted a south Africa taxidermist to request a comparative quote.
Another question...Is there any issue with shipping warthog skull to USA? I heard that swine is more of an issue.

Another question...Is there any issue with shipping warthog skull to USA? I heard that swine is more of an issue.

I heard the same thing, that is why I did not get the Warthog mounted (euro mount only). Crate arrived in Memphis last Wends and I was advised today, US Fish and Game were done, and the Euro mount is in there too. I think it is more about the swine hide???...Not sure.....

How many animal skulls are included in the $1500?

Stretch, Do you care who bleaches your skulls?
ie. Taxidermy done in Africa or USA?

Know what you are having shipped.
Give them species (your worst case scenario) and tell them just skulls and horns/tusks.
Both;
1. Finished work (Euro Mount) just to be shipped
2. D&P to be bleached at USA taxidermy.

I would get a bunch of quotes for packing and shipping.
The taxi suggested will have someone they use.

Safari Cargo did a great job shipping my finished hides and euro mounts.

Here's a thread for you.
http://www.africahunting.com/before-after-hunt/7132-taxidermy-work-done-now-what.html

I had my European mounts done in SA. As it is much cheaper for me than to have a Norwegian taxidermist doing for me.

If I am not going to bring any skins back to Norway from my hunt this year, I might just get my skulls dipped and shipped and do the rest of the job myself.
If I choose to use a taxidermist again this year, I will use one in SA.

Stretch,

I used Trophy Solutions on my first trip to SA at the outfitter's recommendation. They worked out okay. I had no issues with them and they did a good job. This last time we used Trophy Pro SA, and they did an awesome job. They were fast and stayed in constant contact as to the progress of our stuff... Most importantly, the quote at the beginning matched the quote at the end.

Every outfitter has a taxidermist ot Dip/Packer that they recommend. They usually make a little something for the referral. That's just business. Neither good nor bad unless the company they recommend sucks... You have the right to use whatever service you prefer, and a reputable outfitter should make the arrangements to accommodate who you choose.

Trophy Pro SA tanned 2 flatshins for me and finfished 2 euro mounts. They came out excellent and it was cheaper than if I had it shipped home and done here. It's definately worth the research and getting some quotes if a few hundred $$ one way or the other makes a difference to you. Email Johan at Trophy Pro SA and let him see if he can work with your outfitter and give you a quote. I can guarantee the quality and customer service will be excellent.

Check out life form taxidermy they have both a dip and ship facility and a full taxidermy studio they are great to work with I am having my Mozambique animals ship to them and done next year all my mounts have been great that I have had done and they stand behind there work if there is a problem they also use safari cargo for shipping they are great with all the paperwork I have had baboon, warthog both euro and shoulder mounts done and no problems with bringing them into the states

35bore - I gave Trophy Solutions a general list of six skulls and horns as follows: 1 x Waterbuck 1 x Kudu 1 x Impala 1 x Blesbuck 1 x Gemsbuck 1 x Blue Wildebeest. I forgot to ask them for a quote on a Warthog. The total quote was $693.94 for dip & ship and $876.25 for packing, crating, permits and a bunch of other charges for the grand total of $1570.19

BRICKBURN - Good advice - I should have and will ask them for a quote both ways. I thought I might save money by just going dip and ship, then have my cousin at home finish the euro mounts. (He does euro mounts) When they dip and ship what kind of shape do they come back in? Do they just need bleaching and wall plates? I will check out your recommend Safari Cargo.

Norwegianwoods - that is what I am trying to compare. If they are cheaper and the work is good I would consider having it done in SA

firehuntfish - I will definitely check out Trophy Pro SA after such a glowing recommendation. $$$ is a factor but not the sole deciding factor. I am interested in quality, customer service, and reliability. After all they are not just bleaching the skulls... they are processing our memories.

Uintaelkhunter - I will check out your recommendation also.

One of my concerns is the stories I heard about people getting damaged skulls and horns and in other cases not even getting their trophies back at all. I am trying to sort this all out ahead of time.

Thanks for the help everyone.

When they dip and ship what kind of shape do they come back in?
Do they just need bleaching and wall plates?

I have never had anything personally that was just D&P company.
Many have used that service.
I have seen them just cleaned and disinfected in a friends shop here.

Taxidermists have always had their hands on my trophies.
Cleaned, disinfected and slated hides.
Skulls, cleaned.
Warthog I just got tusks done on a plaque.

The Euro mounts I did not want plates on the skulls. I'll figure out how I want them up later.

Taxidermists will do what ever you tell them to do. Most of the time. :)

BRICKBURN - Thanks for the info. I just finished reading your thread: Taxidermy work is done.....now what? Eye opening to say the least.

firehuntfish - I sent an e-mail to Trophy Pro SA requesting a quote for dip & ship. package. They easily have the best price for the D&P.
I sent them a follow-up email requesting afinished product quote Euro mounts. (BRICKBURNS advice)
Thanks for the recommendation. Much appreciated.

They have sent me the following quote:

Good day sir. Thank you for the e-mail.
Please see below the trophy prep costs with an estimate on the shipping cost.

kudu skull $40
waterbuck skull $40
impala skull $40
blesbuck skull $40
gemsbuck skull $40
blue wildebeest skull $40
crating fees $280
documentation fees $250
shipping cost $300
total $1,070

Glad you're getting educated. Have fun.
It is all going to change somewhat by the time you do all this.

Especially, that trophy list. I'll be amazed if you restrain yourself. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg