speedbump

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Rowland Ward Guild, NRA (Life Member), ISRA
Hunted
Namibia
WINDHOEK resident Thomas Alfred Alexander yesterday paid a lenient fine of N$2 500 after being caught doing a record 229 kilometres an hour on the N1 road outside Keetmanshoop.

There is a speed limit of 120 km/h on Namibia's national roads.

According to Keetmanshoop traffic officer Constable Clemens Cloete, the previous highest speed recorded on a national road was 195 km/h.

Traffic officers say Alexander got off lightly, because N$4 000 is the maximum fine for exceeding 170 km/h.

Alexander told the traffic officers that he was rushing to attend a business meeting at Keetmanshoop.

Source: allafrica.com

Note: I drove this very road on the 2nd week of my trip to Namibia in 2008. It's only one of about 1/2 dozen paved rural highways in the country, and runs from the capitol, Windhoek, south to Cape Town, RSA. Although it's rural, desolate, and has light traffic, there are plenty of 200 pound warthogs & ostriches, plus 1,000 pound cattle wandering about ... not to mention donkey carts. The national speed limit of 120KPH is about 73MPH, which would put knucklehead's speed of 229KPH at around 140 MILES PER HOUR ! :eek: The road is pretty much what we'd expect from a poorly maintained rural county blacktop with no cattle fences. The only patrol cars I saw the Namibian Police guys driving in that area were ancient, battered VW Rabbits, so I have no idea how they caught the dude.

Photo of the N1:
africa08229.jpg

Attachments

• africa08229.jpg
    africa08229.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 160
Welcome to AH Speed bump, smooth plain road!!!!

Monish

Wow, it's a good question how they caught him, it would take another vehicle at least 10 minutes to get into a good view of the vehicle if it could even keep up and go faster. Maybe he just did a speed burst? lol.

speedbump, the road is actually called the B1, the N1 is in South Africa.

Karl, you're right. I stand corrected, sir. Wish I was there now.........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross