NAMIBIA: Ozondjahe Namibia Hunting Safaris

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports' started by eizenjin91, Sep 17, 2012.

1. eizenjin91

eizenjin91 New Member

Hello, I've spent the last month or two reading through as much information on the forum as I could. I will be heading to Africa for my first hunt in April (I have visited Botswana and South Africa before for a photo safari). I have narrowed my location down to Namibia. I will be doing a plains game hunt while I am there. My hope is to get a Zebra, Kudu, Wildebeest, Gemsbok, and a Baboon. I plan to bring my .308 with some good bullets. Reading through namibiahuntingsafaris.com which is Ozondjahe Safaris, they seem to have good reviews from prior clientele and seems to be a professional straightforward website. I wanted to see if there was anyone here who has personal experience with this outfitter? Good/bad? Would you recommend? Thank you.

2. TOM

TOM AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
    Hunted:
    Africa...are there other continents to hunt?
    I would highly recommend them. I book for them and have had excellent reviews. They are in the final phases of a new lodge and should have pictures up soon. Their prices are very good. In a nutshell, you can't go wrong. Please feel free to message me if you want more information.

3. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    Though I have never hunted with them Yet! I can tell you that they have had nothing but good reviews and knowing the people associated with them I would highly recommend this outfit and hope to have the pleasure of hunting with them sometime in the near future myself. Bob

4. Bobpuckett

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    By the way eizenjin91 Welcome to AH!

5. Cliffy

Cliffy AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
    I've hunted Namibia twice with Jamy Traut but Tom is correct in that you will have a great time with Ozondjahe. When you get back be sure to post pictures and writeups! Remember-
    IF YOU GO ONCE-YOU WILL RETURN-DEAL WITH IT

6. eizenjin91

eizenjin91 New Member

Thanks for all of the replies (and welcomes)! Sounds like all good views of them. Trust me if I have half of the time I hope to have ill deffinetely be returning...numerous times!

7. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    I count Jerome as a friend and he will make certain that you are taken care of.

8. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    You have made a excellent choice! Can't wait to hear about it!

9. Nyati

Nyati AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
    Welcome to the forum, eizenjin91.

All of us here believe Jerome will take good care of you. By the way, he has leopard and cheetah at excellent prices !

10. eizenjin91

eizenjin91 New Member

Very glad to hear such great reviews! I feel very confident that I made the right choice. Now the biggest problem I have is that I've read every page of their website 5 times and have to wait till April! lol. Quick follow up question. I plan to bring and hopefully shoot all of the animals listed with my .308 Surgeon rifle. I have heard on other sites that I shouldn't use M118LR for hunting are yall in agreement here that it isn't the best round to use?

11. Bobpuckett

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    even though I used a Browning .308 for my hunt in June it's a little light for some of the game you have listed I would recommend something in a larger .30 Cal unless you just get lucky and get all close shots.

12. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan South Africa
    It may not be ideal, but don't tell Mariys Gosen [another PH on AH] that. I think that is his preferred caliber. Use the rifle that you are comfortable with. Earlier this year OUTDOOR LIFE had an a article on the 6.5 Creedmore in Africa. Hunting African Plains Game with the 6.5 Creedmoor | Outdoor Life
    He killed a Eland with it. The .308 has a good bit more power than the 6.5. Use a good quality bullet and shoot straight. Practice lots off of the sticks. If you do your part you won't have any problem. Bruce

13. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Veteran

Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    M118LR?? Is this a round of ammo? Mil load? Just wondering as I do not remember that as a hunting round and I do allot of loading etc.

14. eizenjin91

eizenjin91 New Member

Yeah I suppose its like most hunting, the accuracy of your shot counts more than the size of the hole. Yes its US issue 175gr SMKBTHP. Thats why I was asking how it would do as a hunting round. It shoots sub MOA.

15. Nyati

Nyati AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
    That s military ammo, supposedly very accurate, but FMJ. Definitely no.

Use a premium hunting bullet, Federal makes a round with a Nosler Partition bullet which should be adequate, and there are surely others.

16. eizenjin91

eizenjin91 New Member

It's a Boat Tail Hollow Point. Isn't it not FMJ?

17. adgunner

adgunner SILVER SUPPORTER AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB,SK,ON,QC,NB,NS) USA (TX,ME) DRC (Poachers) South Africa (2)
    It is a sniper match type ammunition, the hollow point is there for stabilization and does not expand, therefore it would make a poor choice for a hunting bullet in my opinion. There are many great bullets out there better than this one for your needs, but i will leave that to one of the PHs on here to recommend.

18. eizenjin91

eizenjin91 New Member

Great info thanks that makes alot of sense.

19. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Veteran

Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    That is why I asked? Any mil round is designed not to expand under the rules of war. It would be a very poor choice no matter how well it shoots. A commercial expanding bullet is what you want. Nosler partition is good as is Swift A-frame or Barnes TTSX. If you do not load all are out there in commercial ammo.

20. eizenjin91

eizenjin91 New Member

Sorry my mistake. I'm still new to bolt guns and learning about bullets. I had thought that a hollow point by design was made to expand I didn't know the military hollow points were designed for stability and not to expand. Don't mean to turn this in to an ammo discussion under this forum but if you don't mind could you post up just a bit more info regarding military hollow points not expanding versus commercial hollow points?