AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Outfitter : Ozondjahe Safaris
Caliber : 300 Win Mag
Target animals : Blue gnu, Black gnu, Giraffe, Red Hartebeest, Kudu, Impala
Dates : June 5-11

Day 1) We arrived on the morning of the 5th at Windhoek Airport and were driven 2 hrs to Ozondjahe Safaris. After checking in to our rooms we went straight to the range for rifle checks and a enjoyable game drive where we saw a magnatude of game species which put a smile on all our faces despite 2 full days of travel that was the airline equivelent to waterboarding. After the game drive we ate and turned in early so to be ready for the morning hunt.

Day 2) The morning started off right with a hearty breakfast at 6AM. We then loaded the truck and headed off to look for a Giraffe for my son. While scouting around we we came across a herd of Impala. We stopped the truck and the PH scouted for a nice ram. A ram was soon spotted and my wife stepped up to the plate. She made a nice shoulder shot, and the ram jumped in the air and completed a half gainer in the air and ran off into the heavy brush. A bloodtrail was soon found and the track was on. We searched for about 1.5 hrs and were unable to find the animal. Our PH called out some staff from camp to continue the search .Our PH said it was a solid hit and could not have gone far but the animal was never found. Our PH said we should move on and his staff would continue the search. He said we should move on to the Giraffe which had been spotted by staff members on the way to help search for the Impala. We went to the area where the Giraffe were spotted and began our search. We saw several Gifaffe but not the old dark bull we were looking for. We finally spotted the bull we were looking for and worked our way around to get a clear shot. He kept behind the acacia and would not give us the boiler room shot we wanted. The PH said a neck shot would work. My son dialed in on the neck where the PH said to hit him and fired. The Giraffe crumbled like house of cards. We quickly ran through the acacia to get to where the animal was. If it were to get up we would be chasing this thing all day. My son had done his job well and the Giraffe was down for good. After pictures the skinning crew arrived and they proceeded to make short work of the animal and we headed to camp for a nice lunch.
After lunch we set off for a new area where there had been some activity from some Red Hartebeest. We spent several hours searching and finally located a shooter. I had a nice broadside shot at about 80 yards and pulled the trigger. It was a solid shot. He sprung a leak as he headed for the brush. W e gave him some time and started to track. There was a heavy bloodtrail to follow. This animals check engine light had to come on immediately after the shot due to the amount of blood loss, but to his credit ran about 200 yards before going down. After pictures it was off to the blind for my wife to add a Gemsbok to the hit list. There are plenty of Gemsbok to chose from at Ozondjahe and our PH found a nice specimen to add to our trouphy list. She made a clean broadside shot at about 40 yards and an epic first day was in the books. Post more tomorrow.

IMG_1872.jpg

dsc_0384-jpg.153869

dsc_0364-jpg.153868

Attachments

• DSC_0364.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 720
  • DSC_0384.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 725
Last edited by a moderator:
That is one heck of a first day. That oryx is a dandy and I hope they found that impala.

They seem to have plenty of game there to hunt.

WOW! Congrats. Thanks for the report and I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Great start!!!

Looking forward to more.

Congrats, thanks for sharing!

Great first installment! Keep it coming!

You make me home sick for Ozondjahe!
Congrats all round on the family success.

Sounds like a great first day!

Who was your PH - Francois or Theo?

Outstanding first day. Look forward to the rest of the hunt report.

Great start. Looking forward to hearing more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg