NAMIBIA: Namibia safari with Kowas -- beginning to end

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports' started by Toby Bradshaw, Sep 8, 2013.

1. charleslabounty

charleslabounty AH Member

Member of:
    NRA, IDPA, RTBA
    Hi,
    I'm toying with the idea of a Safari hunt. I talked to Ansie on the phone week and she sent me a bunch of info. I talked to Mr. Eulert also as he was listed as a reference. He couldn't have been complimentary about Kowas - he has used them 4 out 12 trips to Africa. I'm starting from scratch - will need a new rifle too. My east coast semi's are not allowed. I've also looked a South Africa, outfitters African Sky and Richard Holmes Safaris. Anyone familiar with these two?
    thanks
    Charlie LaBounty
    Central Florida
  2. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw SILVER SUPPORTER AH Member

Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Arizona, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Texas, Louisiana, Florida
    I'll be in Namibia in 8 weeks! In addition to my ergometer workouts I have been walking at least 3 miles a day in our hilly (but sea level) terrain, with 6+ mile walks on the weekends. I've been practicing off the shooting sticks by dry firing several times per week, with occasional live firing using my .222 (100yd target below) and .22LR. The .222 is zeroed for 200yd, so it shoots about 1.25" high at 100yd. I've read Kevin Robertson's The Perfect Shot so many times that I can recite most of it from memory. Let's hope that my memory doesn't fail me when there's a kudu bull in the scope!

Rem700V222sticks.JPG

In about a week I'll be getting my Hepatitis A, HepB, Tdap, and flu vaccines, adding a couple of hundred dollars and 4 needle sticks to the safari tab.

I bought a Sony DSC-WX300 pocket camera. I've practiced with it on my local walks, and it will make a nice supplement to my Nikon D70 SLR, which is too bulky to carry when hunting. I want plenty of photos for my hunting report!

I got my travel pack from Doug at Gracy Travel; SAPS paperwork pre-arranged to spare me from waiting in a long line in Jo'burg after 22 hours of flying from Seattle. My wife and a couple of our friends are going to Vic Falls and Chobe while I'm hunting at Kowas, then we'll meet up at Kowas for the last few days of hunting before heading out to Etosha, Damaraland, Swakopmund, and Sossusvlei for a couple of weeks of sightseeing.

One of these days I'll drop Ansie a line to find out how the cover looks after all the rains earlier this year.
  3. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    The game will be fat and sassy after the rain this year.

It's getting closer.
  4. JGRaider

JGRaider AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    B&C
    Hunted:
    US, Mexico, S Africa, Namibia
    I was at Kowas for 9 days just a couple of weeks ago. Lot's of game, lots of rocky hills, tall grass.......I miss it already! I also did the Gracy Travel package and IMO I will use it every time I go....SAPS, City Lodge, everything was a breeze. I wound up with a trophy kudu, trophy mtn zebra, and 10 cull/mgt animals. I had a fantastic time, with two world class people, Danie and Ansie, and their fantastic staff. You're in for a great time no doubt.
  5. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Got a hunt report in the offing?
  6. JGRaider

JGRaider AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    B&C
    Hunted:
    US, Mexico, S Africa, Namibia
    Cannot get pics to load properly, so I'm not sure really. I can post report with no pics though.
  7. Jfet

Jfet AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and now Namibia
    Don't get to excited but I saw your name posted on a shelf in the skinning room. Kowas is getting ready for you. Good luck! It will be fun!(y)
  8. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw SILVER SUPPORTER AH Member

Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Arizona, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Texas, Louisiana, Florida
    I'm right behind you -- packed and headed for the airport this morning.

Attached Files:

9. Jfet

Jfet AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and now Namibia
    I am unpacking and deciding which piece of equipment does not get that red dust cleaned off. Tell the Kowas people HOWDY! for us and we miss them already. Go Get You Some Memories!