NAMIBIA: Has Anyone Hunted With Kanona Safari Ranch Namibia?

JTT

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA/SCI
Hunted
USA (Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Montana) South Africa (Freestate and Limpopo
Anyone have any experience with Kanona Safari Ranch in Namibia or know Wenzel Badenhorst?

How about thoughts of being successful hunting leopard in Namibia first 2 weeks of May this year 2016? Good time of year?
Putting things together and looking for advice.
JTT

Last edited by a moderator:
All guts with that timeline. Sorry I can't share anything on the Outfitter.
At least they have some pictures of Leopards on their site.

Going after old spots is a dream of mine! Good luck!

The PH/Outfitter that we have hunted with on two occasions, has been trying to get the opportunity to hunt this property for a few years. He was able to get it this year and gave me a call.
I wasn't planning on going this year, but with everything going on with the USFW and lions I didn't want to wait.
I was going to hunt my lion last year, but waited. Looking back it was not my best decision. I will still hunt the lion even if I can't bring it back. I am more after the experience and adventure than the trophy.
I fear that if I put off hunting the leopard this year, I will end up with the same regrets. Look at what is going on with the quota in SA.
We already have everything in place as far as travel arrangements. I am developing loads for my 375 H&H with Swift A Frames 300gr. I will try match the ballistics of the 300gr TSX so that I can take both for hunting other targets of opportunity.
My PH will be with us on the hunt and I am very comfortable with his judgments, and recommendations. He has always taken great care of Karol and I.
I am interested in getting others input, thought and recommendations on the area and hunting leopards.
If someone knew Wenzel (owner/operator of Kanona), it would be great to hear your experiences and thoughts.
This will be my first DG hunt, and you guys are the experts so feel free to help guide the newby.
JTT

:S 2 Cents:, this just my two cents but if you have the time and money go to Mozambique with Simon at TMS. It may be extra money than Namibia, but it would probably be a surer bet. I'm not saying your guy is bad, I just think it would up your odds of success. If I had the time and money, I would go with him

I totally agree with your sentiment on timing. GO NOW! The leopard is one animal that can not be guaranteed ever. My good friend(biologist, outfitter, guide in TX) has hunted with some of the best in Zim and else where 3 times with no success on leopard. If you watch Boddington on Leopard DVD you will learn Craig had struggled for many years to get that spotted cat. Remember in Namibia they only get 1 leopard tag per outfitter per year. I think you should remain optimistic about your chances and GO!
Sounds like you know what you are doing as far as guns and loads are concerned so practice up and get packed. Namibia holds a special place in my hear and I can not wait to go again.
Regards,
Philip

I was in Namibia last September, in the northern part of the country for 12days hunting Mr. Spots. The northern part is experiencing the worst drought in 40 years. The eland starting calving early thus pretty much killing my chances. We had great cats on camera and needless to say I was excited prior to early calving. Once that happened the hunt was over. My advise to you is this, hunt while most game is not in calving season to eliminate the possibility, make sure your area is not effected by the drought, and if you can afford Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania or Moz by all means go. I think your chances are greatly improved in those countries. I agree that you should not wait....Lion now...leopard next??? Go and enjoy! I wish you luck.

Namibia can be a great leopard destination, I had lunch today with Lwyk of Leopard Legend hunting safaris and they had four hunters this year and took three cats, last weekend I talked with Jaco of Namibia Safari Corporation and they had five hunters this year and took four cats. So Namibia is still a top destination.

All guts with that timeline. Sorry I can't share anything on the Outfitter.
At least they have some pictures of Leopards on their site.
Wayne,
This is a tight schedule. If we had not been to SA twice and had a feel for what we were getting into, I most likely would not have pulled the trigger. Best part is that I just contacted Jennifer and Lori at Travel Express, and they worked their magic and got us all set up. Best prices on plane tickets yet and great communications.

Going after old spots is a dream of mine! Good luck!
CAustin,
Thanks for the well wishes, Karol and I can't wait. I keep going back and looking at the pictures in the Leopard picture thread. What a beautiful animal. The excitement of just getting to see one in person keeps me up at night.
JTT

Best of luck, go for it now!!!! I hope I can go next year!

:S 2 Cents:, this just my two cents but if you have the time and money go to Mozambique with Simon at TMS. It may be extra money than Namibia, but it would probably be a surer bet. I'm not saying your guy is bad, I just think it would up your odds of success. If I had the time and money, I would go with him
Enysse,
I agree it would be great to hunt with Simon at TMS and many of the other great outfits on this site, but we have committed on this hunt with a PH that we have a lot of loyalty with. We have had two other hunts with him and have really built a great friendship.
The timing of the hunt is pretty tight as I have fit it in with my full time job and running our 160 acre farm. Karol can't get the time off sooner and the water is in the ditch on May 1st. Actually have to hire my son in law to start watering while I'm gone.
JTT

I totally agree with your sentiment on timing. GO NOW! The leopard is one animal that can not be guaranteed ever. My good friend(biologist, outfitter, guide in TX) has hunted with some of the best in Zim and else where 3 times with no success on leopard. If you watch Boddington on Leopard DVD you will learn Craig had struggled for many years to get that spotted cat. Remember in Namibia they only get 1 leopard tag per outfitter per year. I think you should remain optimistic about your chances and GO!
Sounds like you know what you are doing as far as guns and loads are concerned so practice up and get packed. Namibia holds a special place in my hear and I can not wait to go again.
Regards,
Philip
Philip,
Good to hear from you! Karol and I had a great time with you and your wife at the DSC AH get together.
I thought I did really good at DSC. Kept my hands in my pockets and did not give in to the temptation to book a hunt as it really wasn't in the finances for this year. Then not a week after we get home, I got "the"call. I just couldn't hold back any longer.
Thanks for the pep talk. I know that there is no guarantee with leopard, but I am very optimistic as one way or the other I still get to go Africa. The leopard hunt on bait will be a whole new experience that I am really looking forward to whether I get spots or not.

I see in another thread that you are headed out in March. Seems like that is getting desperately close! Is this your lion hunt?
JTT

Philip,
Good to hear from you! Karol and I had a great time with you and your wife at the DSC AH get together.
I thought I did really good at DSC. Kept my hands in my pockets and did not give in to the temptation to book a hunt as it really wasn't in the finances for this year. Then not a week after we get home, I got "the"call. I just couldn't hold back any longer.
Thanks for the pep talk. I know that there is no guarantee with leopard, but I am very optimistic as one way or the other I still get to go Africa. The leopard hunt on bait will be a whole new experience that I am really looking forward to whether I get spots or not.

I see in another thread that you are headed out in March. Seems like that is getting desperately close! Is this your lion hunt?
JTT
JTT
I am hunting lion, leopard, hyena,sable, croc, etc. I can hardly think of anything else! 21 days in Zim is truly a dream come true. I leave end of March and yes it is very close.
Wishing us both leopard luck!
Regards,
Philip

I was in Namibia last September, in the northern part of the country for 12days hunting Mr. Spots. The northern part is experiencing the worst drought in 40 years. The eland starting calving early thus pretty much killing my chances. We had great cats on camera and needless to say I was excited prior to early calving. Once that happened the hunt was over. My advise to you is this, hunt while most game is not in calving season to eliminate the possibility, make sure your area is not effected by the drought, and if you can afford Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania or Moz by all means go. I think your chances are greatly improved in those countries. I agree that you should not wait....Lion now...leopard next??? Go and enjoy! I wish you luck.
Johnnyblues,
This is great information. I have been reading the thread about the kudu calving late and worry that this may have an effect on my hunt. We are hunting an area about 2 1/2 hours north of Windhoek just south of Omaruru. Camp is next to a dry bed river with mountains right next door. Not sure of how dry it has been. Sounds like this area only gets about 10" of precipitation in a year (much like home here in Idaho) Will definitely ask.
Thanks for the advice
JTT

Namibia can be a great leopard destination, I had lunch today with Lwyk of Leopard Legend hunting safaris and they had four hunters this year and took three cats, last weekend I talked with Jaco of Namibia Safari Corporation and they had five hunters this year and took four cats. So Namibia is still a top destination.
Jeff,
Great to hear from a local Idaho boy! I am just 45 minutes south of you near Roberts ID.
You have been talking to some big name guys. Where are you running into them. They don't seem like the type to hang out here in the boonies with the snow. He He...
I have been told that the property we are hunting has had similar experiences to what you describe above and was 80% successful the last couple of years. Hoping everything works out. Might not get another chance for quite awhile.
If you get down this way, look me up and I will buy you a beer.
JTT

JTT
I am hunting lion, leopard, hyena,sable, croc, etc. I can hardly think of anything else! 21 days in Zim is truly a dream come true. I leave end of March and yes it is very close.
Wishing us both leopard luck!
Regards,
Philip
Are you even allowed to carry that many bullets on the plane? I'm jealous. Just when I thought I was doing good with a leopard hunt, I find out you are hunting the whole zoo!
Best of luck, and have a great time. Let us know how it goes!
JTT

Jeff,
Great to hear from a local Idaho boy! I am just 45 minutes south of you near Roberts ID.
You have been talking to some big name guys. Where are you running into them. They don't seem like the type to hang out here in the boonies with the snow. He He...
I have been told that the property we are hunting has had similar experiences to what you describe above and was 80% successful the last couple of years. Hoping everything works out. Might not get another chance for quite awhile.
If you get down this way, look me up and I will buy you a beer.
JTT
Would love to meet and have a brew, Lwyk was on his way through Salmon today and I met him for lunch. The amazing part is he's was going to Rigby, just a few miles from your house to do a meet and greet. He will be heading to Missoula in the morning. Jaco I talked with at the Hunting and Conservation Expo in SLC. Roberts is about 2 hours from us but we get down that way fairly often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross