Namibia: First safari booked with Jan Oelofse Safaris!

Albertaguy

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
This journey all started last year at the African Hunting Show in Calgary Alberta when my BIL and I went to see what it was all about. We are both lifelong hunters here in Alberta, hunting everything from Antelope and Mule deer on the prairies to Elk, Moose and Sheep in the mountains. After that first contact with the outfitters at the show we realized that an African safari was within our budget. Then began the research , What country, What outfitter, What time of year, What animals ? That is what lead me to this fantastic site and after joining and reading and learning from all the experienced guys on here it gave me a bit more of an insight into what to look for in an outfitter. Now although I am still a rookie here is the reasoning behind our decisions.

Country - Namibia is a safe and easy place for a first timer to travel to and easy to take our own guns with us. It also is one of the best places for the trophies we are looking for; Kudu , Gemsbuck , and Black- faced Impala.

Outfitter- Jan Oelofse has everything we are looking for; lots of acres to hunt ( 300 000 ), well managed game herd, nice lodge, good equipment. They also run a school on their property that helps out the community ( Mount Etjo Private School ). Also on their property they have Rhino, Elephant , Lions and Hippos which will give us a small taste of what wild Africa is really like. The last thing that sold us was their game handling facilities and their own dip and pack which is certified to ship trophies to Canada. We also checked with lots of their Canadian references and they were all very pleased with their experience at Jan Oelofse Safaris.

Animals-The animals that I am interested in a this time are; Kudu, Gemsbuck, Black-Faced Impala, Red Hartebeest and Warthog.

Time of year- We have booked for May of 2017 to have nice weather and to coincide with the Kudu rut.

I know my research has just begun with things like, rifle permits from Canada, flights , clothing, equipment ect. I will be asking more questions , but I know the fantastic people here will be more than willing to help me out!
Thanks. Rob

Congrats Rob. You are heading to an Outfitter with a great reputation.
You have researched well and I like your rationale.

The Canadian export forms are simple online and are usually back in a couple weeks. easy people to work with.

Nothing like that first safari....

Can't wait for the hunt report!

Make sure you plan all of the after activities as well - having the taxidermist picked out and any import decisions. Assuming you have already chosen to do taxidermy back home since you mention dip and pack.

The planning truly is half the fun.

Rob, congratulations on booking what will hopefully be your first of many African hunts!

Rob ....Welcome to my addiction ! Namibia is where I started . Good luck play safe and take lots of pictures!
Glen

Albertaguy you are about to have the time of your life! Good luck on the hunt and I hope you will share a hunt report with us!

Thanks guys it is an exciting adventure for sure! Charlie I will post a hunt report because I read all the reports on here, weather it's plains game or a once in a lifetime elephant hunt like you did!

The hunt report let's everyone share in the experience as far as I'm concerned. Would very interested to hear how the travel to Namibia went!
For instance are you flying to Johanesburg first? Gun importation into Namibia! Then getting down to the hunt, the stalks, the lodge and of course the meals!
Hope you get everything on your list.

Best of luck, Namibia is on my short list for the next trip to Africa.

The hunt report let's everyone share in the experience as far as I'm concerned. Would very interested to hear how the travel to Namibia went!
For instance are you flying to Johanesburg first? Gun importation into Namibia! Then getting down to the hunt, the stalks, the lodge and of course the meals!
Hope you get everything on your list.

I will have to take a notebook with me so I don't forget anything important. We are thinking of flying from Calgary to Frankfurt Germany then to Windhoek. Total travel time of about 32 hours, so lots of uncomfortable sitting!

Albertaguy I think you made an awesome choice! Depending on how permits work out I will be there in 2018 or 2019. Can't wait to read your report!!!

Last edited:
Congrats, I remember some of the black faced impala I saw in 2008, WOW they were huge 24+. It's too bad we can't import them to the USA.

Congrats, I remember some of the black faced impala I saw in 2008, WOW they were huge 24+. It's too bad we can't import them to the USA.

Enysse , it is one of the benefits of living in Canada. I wonder why they can't be imported to the US ? Annette at Oelofse safaris said they cull some black-faced Impala every year!

Enysse , it is one of the benefits of living in Canada. I wonder why they can't be imported to the US ? Annette at Oelofse safaris said they cull some black-faced Impala every year!

Honestly this is why I hate USFW. When I go I am definitely going to hunt one. Import or not.

Albertaguy, you better shoot one and post lots of pics and then post some more when you get the mount home.

I will be shooting one for sure! I can hardly wait! The next 15 months are going to drag by!

Hey fellow Albertan, your description of how you decided to actually go sounds almost exactly like my own story! I'm just a year or so behind you in the process.
I was at the Calgary show on Jan 30 this year, it was fantastic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg