Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
England year round and Namibia x5.
Finally booked up and deposit paid on my first hunting safari to Namibia this August. Many thanks to all who have contacted me via this site and for the offers and help provided. A computer virus lost most of my correspondence over the last few months so apologies to anyone I didn't get back to.

I have booked with Philip Hennings of Khomas Highland Hunting who made me a superb offer and deal for me and my family and who ticked all the boxes in terms of keeping everyone happy on my side.

Booked for seven days (five hunting) and have Kudu, Gemsbok and Springbok on the definite list with the opportunity for another species if time and luck favours me.

My wife will accompany me as an observer and my daughter too at no extra charge and she will have the opportunity to hunt guinea fowl with a .22 for the table and the chance for a Springbok if she fancies it.

When our week is over we will head off for a road trip to see a few sights, planning a circuit from Windhoek to Etosha, down to Swakopmund and onto Sossusvlei before heading back to Windhoek and the journey home.

I guess I can start getting excited now!

With regard to your road trip - are you doing a rental or do you have a driver? It is a great idea, but remember Namibia is a left side drive country. If you don't have a lot of experience with that, make sure you get an automatic, and try to drive a day or two on the highway before tackling downtown Windhoek. Finally, if doing a rental make sure you take the max offered insurance. Most of these developing world operations go over the car with a magnifying glass at turn-in. The max insurance in most operations allows you to simply walk away from whatever they find.

LOL, Just glanced at your profile - yes, you do have plenty of "wrong side of the road" experience. Have a great adventure!

............. Most of these developing world operations go over the car with a magnifying glass at turn-in. ..........

To that end, take pictures with your phone of every last chip, smudge etc that you can see on every surface.
Note every last one with the staff member at check in.
The best day rate increase on rentals in Africa turns up in the bill when you are already home. :mad:

When our week is over we will head off for a road trip to see a few sights, planning a circuit from Windhoek to Etosha, down to Swakopmund and onto Sossusvlei before heading back to Windhoek and the journey home.

I guess I can start getting excited now!

Congrats. You should be excited.
The great circle tour after a fun hunt.
Take lots of pictures and share your adventure when you get back.

Have fun and good luck. Im sure Namibia will be a great hunt, it is one I want to doo sooner than later as well!

I appreciate your comments and advice, thank you.

With regard to your road trip - are you doing a rental or do you have a driver? It is a great idea, but remember Namibia is a left side drive country. If you don't have a lot of experience with that, make sure you get an automatic, and try to drive a day or two on the hhway before tackling downtown Windhoek. Finally, if doing a rental make sure you take the max offered insurance. Most of these developing world operations go over the car with a magnifying glass at turn-in. The max insurance in most operations allows you to simply walk away from whatever they find.

LOL, Just glanced at your profile - yes, you do have plenty of "wrong side of the road" experience. Have a great adventure!

Haha! Yes, plenty of experience driving on the left, with manual or auto transmission. I've tackled downtown Chicago so hopefully downtown Windhoek will be slightly easier!
I will be driving myself because it will be more of an adventure and experience rather than paying for a vehicle and a driver. Philip has been very helpful in making suggestions on what to do and he might be able to sort out a landrover with tents on the roof for some camping out while on the road but I can iron out the details over the coming months.

To that end, take pictures with your phone of every last chip, smudge etc that you can see on every surface.
Note every last one with the staff member at check in.
The best day rate increase on rentals in Africa turns up in the bill when you are already home. :mad:

Noted with thanks. I always check and photograph every panel, wheel, seat and existing damage prior to signing anything so will do the same again in this case and get the vehicle signed back over before leaving it.

Congrats. You should be excited.
The great circle tour after a fun hunt.
Take lots of pictures and share your adventure when you get back.

I certainly will.

How few and far between are fuel stations in Namibia? I'm guessing, due to the infrastructure of the road networks they can be found on the main roads but I also guess they're not on every corner. Are fuel prices reasonable?

You will find the prices "reasonable" by UK standards. Most Americans find them appalling. You can get from key place to key place and find fuel with modern gas stations. However, Namibia is not the UK or the US. You need to plan for your fuel stops. Your PH can help you with that. For them it is second nature. Many of the roads are gravel - well maintained - but gravel. Watch that at speed. It is a learned driving technique, and too much speed, wheel, or break can send you for a nasty roll. Plenty of places to stay on the coast (take a day to take a guided four wheeler ride thru the dunes - simply fabulous - again, your PH can help set that up. You will also need reservations at Etosha. Plan to spend the night and to arrange a guide and transport. Your PH may be want to do it. They will have local kids dancing and singing in the mess hall - it is not exactly a restaurant :) - but well worth the meal and the overnight. You will see more game in that 48 hours than you will in the rest of your life. Have a ball!

Congratulations Adrian, looking forward to your report!

You and your family can really get excited. Namibia is a country that will call you back to Africa again and again.
If you need any help in planning your road trip -- getting ideas -- booking lodges -- please feel free to contact me. It will be great to assist you with information.

another thing is the tarred roads in namibia are very good. i came on a sign saying beware potholes in the road......i kept an eye out but all i could see/feel were a couple of slight wobbles.....had a laugh to myself and thought if they want see what potholes look like just pop over the border to zambia............:D

I am leaving tomorrow to hunt with Philip at Khomas Highland Hunting! I am not sure I will save a Kudu for you, ;)) but I am sure you will have a terrific time! It's my second trip to Namibia for hunting, and if this is anything like the first one it will be memories to last a lifetime! Good luck on your trip!

Good Luck and Play Safe !
Glen

Congrats Adrian, and best of luck to you. Namibia surely is a wonderful place. I just got back 3 weeks ago and can't wait to go back. Please take lots of pics for us!

I am leaving tomorrow to hunt with Philip at Khomas Highland Hunting! I am not sure I will save a Kudu for you, ;)) but I am sure you will have a terrific time! It's my second trip to Namibia for hunting, and if this is anything like the first one it will be memories to last a lifetime! Good luck on your trip!

300- how was your hunt with Khomas? I'm considering booking with Philip and want to get some reviews. Read the one on here and it sounds good. What was your experience?

Congrats on your booking, I am sure you will enjoy it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZaneDenova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg