My Winchester .458 WM Finally Arrived

With monolithic bullets and their length, I say the issue still exists unless one is willing to go with a lighter bullet (such as 465 grains, which was A-Square's approach to the "problem").

With monolithic bullets and their length, I say the issue still exists unless one is willing to go with a lighter bullet (such as 465 grains, which was A-Square's approach to the "problem").
I agree on the monolithic bullet/case room issue. Has anyone used those GS Bullets on Buff here on AH?

View attachment 44700 Well after nearly a year, and a lot of frustration my new Winchester Model 70 Safari arrived safe and sound in West Texas. I knocked the dust off the Leupold 1.5-5x scope and had it mounted. Took it to the range and was pleasantly surprised. The action is smooth as silk, the trigger amazing, and the rifle is very accurate with the factory Hornady DGX 500 gr ammo I shot that day. Took 5 rounds to zero using the sled, then all off the shoulder from there. I honestly have to say that the recoil, while stouter then my Ruger .375 African, actually bit me less! What I mean is that Winchesters stock is so comfortable that it didn't create discomfort really after 12 rounds from the shoulder like the stock on my Ruger does with my slightly hot loads, not that it is really painful.... In any case, I am extremely happy with my new thumper and can't wait to get back out to the range. I would give the rifle 4.5 out of 5 stars when judging accuracy, comfort, looks, and action. Wish they still made a Lott, but at my age I will be happy with the Win Mag.

I would have had range pics of the target etc, but we were in between down pours and wind was crazy.
Congratulations on your new baby...Be very careful on the DGX ammo...Some really bad reports here and elsewhere..You might want to check with Gizmo on his opinion on the DGX. He just got back from a buffalo/lion hunt.

Congratulations on your new baby...Be very careful on the DGX ammo...Some really bad reports here and elsewhere..You might want to check with Gizmo on his opinion on the DGX. He just got back from a buffalo/lion hunt.
Thanks for the post and compliment on my baby! I will IM Gizmo.

(y)

michael458 said:
. I quit public forums about a year ago, I can't imagine what the hell I am doing back on one.............

Royal27
"Glad you're here!!!"

And many other objective hunters and shooters, with open minds, who could well benefit from the extensive real World field experience, AND what could possibly be THE most extensive, and in-depth, testing and development experience of modern day projectiles by any non-industry individual is denied to us when the poster is insulted by the resident, self-appointed big-bore expert.

Given the opportunity, with respect I might add, to reply with a counter perspective we have nothing but silence.

Pathetic.

Matt, since you appear to be the man to talk to andsince I am a novice maybe you could give me your opinion. I ll be taking my first safari in September for leopard and hopefully if time permits plains game. My next hunt god willing will be for buffalo/plains game. I shoot a 375 Ruger and since I don't reload I will have Superior ammo load for me. Which would you choose as the bullet to load? Superior said either A frames or Northfork . Appreciate your input.

Hi Pani,

Congratulations to your neat rifle.
Be sure,you don't need a Lott.
I like Hornady Ammo.
My two buffs were all shot with DGX (in .375)
Restweight 72% and good and powerful moshroomed

Nearby-Do you get the Jaguar on the wildcam ?
Foxi

Here the shoot out result of a fullmetal Jacket from Hornady through a 70 cm (27,55 inch) ,fresh, wet Beech.
Going through like butter (.375)
Beech.jpg

and here my DGX no .458, but it has worked
(Im interested on facts about this kind of bullets (good and bad) )

DGX.jpg

Last edited:
Matt, since you appear to be the man to talk to andsince I am a novice maybe you could give me your opinion. I ll be taking my first safari in September for leopard and hopefully if time permits plains game. My next hunt god willing will be for buffalo/plains game. I shoot a 375 Ruger and since I don't reload I will have Superior ammo load for me. Which would you choose as the bullet to load? Superior said either A frames or Northfork . Appreciate your input.

I'm not Matt but either the A-Frame or NF will work well, both well proven. Use the one that shoots more accurately in your rifle. Both shoot just as accurately in my .375H&H M70. The NF require less powder for the same velocity, so it gets the nod in my rifle. Results in your rifle however may be different.

I'm not Matt but either the A-Frame or NF will work well, both well proven. Use the one that shoots more accurately in your rifle. Both shoot just as accurately in my .375H&H M70. The NF require less powder for the same velocity, so it gets the nod in my rifle. Results in your rifle however may be different.
Thanks Phil..

Hi Pani,

Congratulations to your neat rifle.
Be sure,you don't need a Lott.
I like Hornady Ammo.
My two buffs were all shot with DGX (in .375)
Restweight 72% and good and powerful moshroomed

Nearby-Do you get the Jaguar on the wildcam ?
Foxi

Here the shoot out result of a fullmetal Jacket from Hornady through a 70 cm (27,55 inch) ,fresh, wet Beech.
Going through like butter (.375)
View attachment 46206

and here my DGX no .458, but it has worked
(Im interested on facts about this kind of bullets (good and bad) )

View attachment 46208
No I didn't. My camera died, like terminal.... I will be going to put a new one up soon, but my Step Mother is in her final days so we have been making arrangements and dealing with that. I needed a mental break, so I got on AH to take my thoughts in a different direction. I will keep everyone updated on the Jaguar when I get new info. He hasn't been evicted yet! Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg