My Sons First Bow Hunt

NUys

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
My son Ian, 15 years old and a keen bow hunter, could not have asked for a better start to his bow hunting career!

Having done his Certificate of Proficiency (COP) for bow hunting with Niel Uys, friend and partner in Leeukop Safaris, the week before which he passed with flying colours, he sat in one of our pit blinds with Niel on the 16th June 2010 to see if he could bag his first animal with a bow. He is set up with a 60 pound Bowtech Diamond, using Pro Hunter Gold Tip arrows with 125gr Nitron broadheads and a total arrow weight of 475gr.

After sitting for a couple of hours a warthog walked in and, with Niel quietly coaching him on where to place his shot, he placed a perfect shot into that all important vital area. He was calm up to this point but after the shot the adrenalin hit with a vengeance and he shook like the proverbial leaf. What a feeling this is, something that I experience with every animal taken with a bow!

He thought his first hunt was now over, but this was not to be. Not 10 minutes later some impala walked in and Niel told him to knock another arrow. He had to now get himself very quickly into that “zone” again. A female Impala presented a good broadside shot, Ian’s arrow flew and once again he placed a perfect shot into the vital area. He could not believe his luck!

Both animals didn’t make 40m before they expired. After Niel called me in I arrived with our very energetic tracker dog, Nala, who found both animals in short order. What a way to start his bow hunting exploits! The time and effort he put into practicing and perfecting his shot placement certainly paid off.

watermark.php

This is one very proud father, and myself and Ian would like to thank Niel for his time, effort and patience, which certainly contributed to a very successful hunt.

Malcolm Thomson
Partner – Leeukop Safaris

Last edited by a moderator:
Malcolm,

Cogratulations to you !! I can well imagine how elated a Father also a hunter can be , seeing his son bagging his first trophy ... May , Ian hunt big & dangerous game in future times to come.

Great hunt report , trophies & incredible work Niel , to guide young Ian for his debut hunt.

Monish

Congrats to the young man,
And congrats to you for raising a outdoorsman, we need everyone we can get.

Congrats to everyone involved. Thanks for sharing the story.

nd

Congratulations Ian and dad Malcolm!

Good job Neil for promoting hunting to the future generation.

Cheers
Louis

From past experience, I can attest that there is just nothing like seeing your son bag his first trophy.

Congratulations!

- browningbbr

Well done ! a Very proud moment for a Father. Two animals down within 10 minutes. Wow ! That's Zululand for you. Hope there's many more !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg