Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AFGA, AHEIA
Hunted
Alberta, Florida, Eastern Cape of South Africa x3
The heads are nearly ready to be shipped. I did not have them placed on plaques by Taxidermy Africa because of their exhorbitant pricing this year. However, it is hard to find good looking and reasonably priced plaques in this country, not to mention whether they are sized properly for the African game, especially the little guys.

1) I have used the Euro Brackets on three head of game (whitetail, mule deer and antelope). They are too big for anything smaller than an impala and not big enough for Kudu and gemsbok. http://www.eurobracket.com/

2) There is also the Euromounter. I don't know if it would work on the bigger heads?
http://www.euromounter.com

3) The Skull Hooker. Two different sizes, deer sized and elk/moose/buffalo sized.
http://www.skullhooker.com

For a more traditional look, I could get some plaques from McKenzie. At least they have a larger choice in sizes, and at least they look about as good as any I have found.
http://www.mckenziesp.com/Original-Style-C5858.aspx
The downside is that I would likely need some help cutting the skulls and mounting to the base. It all costs money. If I cheap out, I think I am going the route of the Skull Hooker.

So what are your thoughts? Any suggestions? Alternatives?

Last edited:
I like wood panels. So if they have ones that are large enough for your trophies I would go with them.

skull hooker every time , for this little black duck ,AB,
never even knew what they were until l sent a story to the local bowhunting magazine , and won two of them ,
that's the way to to gpo , when our African stuff comes back I will be ordering half a dozen of the , this time ive got karroo taxidermy to re attach the bottom jaws to the skulls , for a different look .

photo-23.jpg
IMG_1403.jpg

I did a little bit of both here is a Skull Hooker and a plaque I made out of Wenge hard wood from Africa. I wanted to show off the arrows and the Blue Wildebeest it made Archery Gold SCI.

I am getting two more skulls an Impala and a Red Hardebeest from this September and I already have the Skull Hookers and I will not get the skulls for a while. I got them for $30 free shipping on Ebay.

I like wood panels. So if they have ones that are large enough for your trophies I would go with them.
I can't say I disagree with you. However, the taxidermist nearly doubled the prices from 2013. I refuse to pay that. So the skulls are being prepared and then shipped. It is hard to find appropriately sized plaques, especially for the little guys. Deer sized or elk sized critters are easy. it's the in between or small ones. Also, then to mount them properly, the skulls need some manipulation. I don't have access to a band saw. Buying plaques and paying someone to mount them, will take me alot closer to the Taxidermy Africa prices.

skull hooker every time , for this little black duck ,AB,
never even knew what they were until l sent a story to the local bowhunting magazine , and won two of them ,
that's the way to to gpo , when our African stuff comes back I will be ordering half a dozen of the , this time ive got karroo taxidermy to re attach the bottom jaws to the skulls , for a different look .
What is the biggest antelope that will be adequately supported by the "Little Hooker"? I have mtn reedbok, springbok, blesbok, impala, black wildebeest, blue wildebeest, red hartebeest, gemsbok, kudu.
Probably the kudu and gemsbok need the "Big Hooker" just to provide clearance for the horns, but I suspect the 2 wildebeest and hartebeest may work on the "Little Hooker" along with the rest?

I think the blue wildebeest will go on the little ones .
im hoping the bloody giraffe will be able to go on the big hooker .
a decnt samba stag goes on the little one .

I've never heard of the skull hooker. Very interesting.

I have 2 of the big skullhookers both with elk racks on them. They should hold anything size wise you need. They come with 2 different brackets one for smaller heads. You can use the smaller ones too but watch the overall weight. Not as decorative as a plaque but a lot more versatile.

There was a sale at Wholesale Sports on Little Hookers. Bought 10 for $26 each.

Good shopping:)

Received word today that all the work is completed at the Taxidermist in SA. The expeditor will collect them and then hold them till after the Christmas break. She says that too many bad things happen to shipments during the Christmas break and does not want to risk things. Sounds like they should be at my doorstep before the end of January. Not bad considering I only left SA on May 29th.

Seems that the price of Skull Hookers may be rising in Canada. I purchased all that I could need at the old price. I'll likely have a few left over for use in the future.

……..The expeditor will collect them and then hold them till after the Christmas break. She says that too many bad things happen to shipments during the Christmas break and does not want to risk things. ……………...

You just got some great advice.

I am making one out of horseshoes for my horse crazy wife. :)
A little mig welding and then some bronze finish paint will look awesome.

I am making one out of horseshoes for my horse crazy wife. :)
A little mig welding and then some bronze finish paint will look awesome.

looking foreward to seeing this , when its finished ,hitch.

I can't say I disagree with you. However, the taxidermist nearly doubled the prices from 2013. I refuse to pay that. So the skulls are being prepared and then shipped. It is hard to find appropriately sized plaques, especially for the little guys. Deer sized or elk sized critters are easy. it's the in between or small ones. Also, then to mount them properly, the skulls need some manipulation. I don't have access to a band saw. Buying plaques and paying someone to mount them, will take me alot closer to the Taxidermy Africa prices.

AB - Is the band saw needed to make the skull have a flat surface for mounting to the plaque? If so, a hack saw probably won't do the job.

I really like the look of the Blebsok in the post by Bhfs300. Based on that, my vote goes to Skull hooker.

AB - Is the band saw needed to make the skull have a flat surface for mounting to the plaque? If so, a hack saw probably won't do the job.

I really like the look of the Blebsok in the post by Bhfs300. Based on that, my vote goes to Skull hooker.

bone saw is best then finish on a bench sander or belt sander.

The vet inspection is finally completed and the shipper (SBS Logistics) has taken possession of the trophies as of the 13th of February. It certainly has seemed to take some time for this to have happen. Africa!

Always amazes me how many people can be blamed for a delay.

Hope your trophies hurry up and get home!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber