My Rage against RAGE Broadheads - With Video evidence

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Africa' started by TOM, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Norwegianwoods

Norwegianwoods SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa
    I do believe that the new Hypodermic is by far the best Rage design yet.

I think the collar design is rather good and the ferrule is great in all ways but one in my opinion.
    I think the tip is way to short in front of where the deployment of the blades starts.
    I am worried this can make a problem at shots at sharp angles, like when from a treestand or at quartering shots.

I think a 125 grain version where the extra weight would be used to make a longer ferrule with a longer tip would be a better design.

When using Rage and other mechs with large cutting surfaces it is important to have enough momentum to ensure good penetration.
    I am shooting 615 grain arrows at 260 fps and would get good penetration with these mehcs, but I still prefer to use fixed broadheads.
    But I am considering to test the new Hypodermic and also the all steel Ulmer Edge.
  2. bhtkevin

bhtkevin New Member

Im late to this thread but had a rage fail on a buck with a drop tine some years back. The problem was (i could hear in the video later) the broadhead made contact with my tripod before I drew and I didnt realize. WHen I recovered the arrow, the blades were 90 degrees to the arrow shaft and penetration was obviously poor. Part my fault, but still annoying. I check this on draw now.
  3. dobber

dobber AH Veteran

I use the 3 blade rage and have had nothing but success, but in saying that I also check the ring and make sure the blades are set correctly every time I put an arrow to string. Both myself and my son were in the same tree, he arrowed his bear at 19 yards with a fixed muzzy it went about 200 yards, I hit mine at 9 yards it maybe went 15 yards. Not saying anyone is better than the other, they both got the job done, only problem I had was trailing a bear in the dark, but that's half the fun
    You could fling a hunk of bamboo through the lungs and the critter would die, know your equipment, trust your equipment and be flexible with changing things up
  4. elmerfudd555

elmerfudd555 New Member

Ive used Thunderhead 100s and 3 blade Rage 100's extensively over the last few years. The Rage has accounted for some spectacular kills for me - 355lb black bear at 23 yds that went 12 yds and 5 deer that either just dropped or expired within 15-50 yds. One thing I have noticed is that I almost never can reuse a Rage head. The blades are nearly always bent or the blade on the tip is curled over. The tiny set screws are a bitch to remove and strip easily. Just too much headache to replace the parts and at 13 bucks a piece, not cheap to just throw away. The Thunderheads are another matter completely. Drop 3 new blades in the ferrules and away you go. Ive never lost an animal with the Rage but admit that the total cost of ownership has me thinking about going back to the NAP product.
  5. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Well the one thing, I have observed over see hundreds of Rage shots on tv, if you hit the ribs or gut...you will probably find the deer...if you try a hard angle shot or hit a solid bone...like the shoulder you will not find the deer...it is probably wound..and will live to see another day. But yes, Rage kills can be fast and bloody. Expandable broadheads are made for those picture perfect broadside shot.

I can see using a expandable broadhead on deer or antelope, anything else, I'll stick to the thunderhead 100 grains or something like it.
  6. LIBERTY

LIBERTY New Member

MECHANICAL BROADHEADS

This is my first post on this site. I have never had the opportunity to hunt Africa BUT that doesn't mean I have never hunted with a bow. I've been hunting and killing big game with a longbow and fixed 2 blade broadheads for over 40 years. In that time I have come to some conclusions. First conclusion is KISS, keep it simple stupid. There is
    nothing simpler than a longbow or a carbon shaft or a fixed 2 blade cut on contact head. The heads I use are 160gr Grizzly single bevel broadheads. Very rugged, easy to sharpen and when they are mounted straight on a well tuned arrow shaft they buzz thru big Roosevelts elk like a hot knife thru butter. I've never been able to damage one and they twist going thru flesh and bone. I've taken 9 Roosies God knows how many deer a few bears and about ten hogs with them and they performed great each and every time.Nothing moves, nothing gives they just do exactly what they were designed to do. Try em you might like them. Liberty
  7. Stocky

Stocky AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Benefactor NRA, SCI, SCI South Florida, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, South Africa
    What do you guys think of the Slick Trick fixed in RSA?

Man, those things are sharp... I was in Cabelas when I ran amuck and tried shaving my arm with literally every blade I could, a result of opening a pack of G5's that were the dullest 'heads I've ever seen. The salesman suggested these because they were "german steel" and he was right. Never looked at them before but got a pack to try on the range.
  8. Norwegianwoods

Norwegianwoods SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa
    The Slick Trick fixed work very well in RSA.
    They fly great and penetrate very well.

I am sure you will be very happy with them.