Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zambia
OK, here’s my DSC report. First, the new layout, I would suggest that that was a good start. I better change would be to have the hunting broken down, by continents, then country. The fishing in one area, guns, misc, etc. another. As large as it’s become, I really did not make everything in the one day I allotted.

I was able to visit with my outfitter for my up coming trip: Kalahari Rangers, the only Leica Lodge in Africa. I met with SSI. Used my discount coupon from Safari Press and purchased The Perfect Shot: Mini Edition for Africa II , renewed my subscription to Sport Afield. I purchased a replacement barrel cover from Boca Shield. I visited with African Outfitters magazine. I had won their new subscriber contest last year for an African Safari with Wintershoek, but was unable to take that trip due to scheduling conflicts.

I picked up brochures and spoke with every outfitter from New Zealand for Red Deer, Tahr and Chamois. That would be a good spring break trip, but travelling that far for only one week is just not cost effective.

Last edited by a moderator:
I better change would be to have the hunting broken down, by continents, then country. The fishing in one area, guns, misc, etc. another. As large as it’s become, I really did not make everything in the one day I allotted.

Wes (Buff Buster) and I had this very discussion and we both agree with you!

It is a bit tedious having to wade through 20 vendors you are not really interested in, to get to the one you are.

I loved what they did with the elevated area...all those great guns in one area had me about like a forkhorn smelling his first hot doe!

Tim

I posted my same review on another forum and apparently, someone there said the layout change had nothing to due with planning, but the City of Dallas, booze regulations as to why they moved the guns.

Last edited by a moderator:

It is a bit tedious having to wade through 20 vendors you are not really interested in, to get to the one you are.

I loved what they did with the elevated area...all those great guns in one area had me about like a forkhorn smelling his first hot doe!

Tim

+1

I almost wonder if they don't mix up on purpose to increase traffic flow for those that wouldn't have as high of a footcount?

Seems like there would still be ways to do it though - intersperse taxidermy, gear, etc... through out, while leaving the outfitters grouped comes to mind.

I posted my same review on 24 hour campfire and apparently, someone there said the layout change had nothing to due with planning, but the City of Dallas, booze regulations as to why they moved the guns.

Yes, I heard the same thing.

Tim

Thought your neck seemed a bit swollen! :)

I posted my same review on another forum and apparently, someone there said the layout change had nothing to due with planning, but the City of Dallas, booze regulations as to why they moved the guns.

Yes, I heard the same thing.

Yep, in last year's show, you had to keep your drinks in/around the bar and eating areas. This was of course a complaint, so this format addressed that issue.

Yep, in last year's show, you had to keep your drinks in/around the bar and eating areas. This was of course a complaint, so this format addressed that issue.

I am not really sure, how this fix that, considering Euro Optics had a wall of guns on an upper level. And I not sure why the City of Dallas would even care, its TABC are the ones who count.

Heard the same thing from the Buff Buster.

Made my life easier!

I am not really sure, how this fix that, considering Euro Optics had a wall of guns on an upper level. And I not sure why the City of Dallas would even care, its TABC are the ones who count.

Even the Texas govt can look a bit like the Feds sometimes I guess. Not sure what would prevent a guy getting loaded at the bars on the lower levels and then coming up to where the guns were and causing a problem.

Patrick McCabe and a couple of the other dealers told me specifically it had to do with the laws about mixing guns and booze!

Even the Texas govt can look a bit like the Feds sometimes I guess. Not sure what would prevent a guy getting loaded at the bars on the lower levels and then coming up to where the guns were and causing a problem.

You mean the signs wouldn't stop someone????

I am in charge of a homebuilders expo in Oklahoma every year, and most vendors would rather not have another vendor next to them selling the same thing. Some of them are very specific about it, and would not rebook the next year. I can't speak for DSC, but it may have something to do with it. It's hard to believe, but shows cater to the vendors more than the attendees. Hope that helps explain the system.

If I might propose, Without hijacking the thread, post what you liked and disliked about the show this year. I liked the newer arrangement, but I don't know what would stop you from having 5 or ten 10 drinks down below, and then going upstairs to the gun areas? I did notice that most of the displays had less trophy animals in them. Is that for logistics, or some other reason? Hard to put my finger on exactly what was different, but thought the show lacked "punch" this year. REALLY ENJOYED the AH dinner! Enjoyed meeting AH people in the booths as well. Did ANYONE see demonstrators outside? I sure didn't see any. Thanks for letting me ramble!

I am in charge of a homebuilders expo in Oklahoma every year, and most vendors would rather not have another vendor next to them selling the same thing. Some of them are very specific about it, and would not rebook the next year.

Yeah, I can certainly see their point.

Things are seldom as black and white as they first appear. Thanks for the perspective.

I can see where having it mixed up drives traffic down each row, whereas separated equals lower foot count for some rows and higher for others. However, at least me, I would still go down all the rows time permitting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross