shuter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.roboliveauthor.com
Media
Hunted
Oregon, Montana
Well, Wayne Jacobson, AKA rifle artist, has worked his magic on my RSM .458 Lott, and I'm blown away! This was an excellent-condition (but dead stock) RSM that I picked up awhile back, and I wanted some custom work done. After some emails back and forth with Wayne, he agreed to tackle it. Here is a list of what he did:

1) Stock - I bought an RSM stock from Numrich and sent him that one to bed. The figure is better and I wanted a "spare", figuring I could always re-install the factory stock if this one broke. That's unlikely, however. Wayne installed a second crossbolt, bedded the funky forward (loose) recoil lug into the stock, and installed aluminum pillars in the trigger guard holes. He also had to install a rear swivel stud and grip cap in the new stock.
2) Trigger job at 4#, per my request.
3) Installed Kick-EEZ magnum recoil pad - a huge improvement over stock and gives me a longer LOP.
4) Installed Graco 14 oz. recoil reducer in buttstock. Balance is now perfect and weight has been added (not a bad thing in .458 Lott).
5) Installed NECG white bead front sight.
6) Performed an "action job", whereby he checked function and polished everything up.
7) Applied Gun Kote finish to all metal, which is a beautiful and functional finish (very impressed by the appearance, not having expected it to look so nice).

I installed a Leupold VX3 1.5-5x with German #4 reticle in Ruger low rings. Field-ready weight (scoped and slung, with a full magazine) is exactly 12.5 lbs., which was about what I had in mind for this rifle chambered for the Lott.

Wayne's work exceeded my expectations. He does the little things exactly right (crossbolt slots and forend recoil lug bolt slots are "timed", the finish is applied perfectly, etc.), he communicates very well throughout the process, he's a complete professional, and his work is (I think) very reasonable.

In short, I couldn't be happier with the way this rifle turned out, and I will work with AHR again in the future, I can assure you!

IMG_3486[2].JPG
IMG_3489[2].JPG
IMG_3480.JPG
IMG_3481.JPG
IMG_3484.JPG
IMG_3485.JPG
IMG_3474[2].JPG
IMG_3475[2].JPG
IMG_3477[2].JPG
IMG_3478[2].JPG
IMG_3479[2].JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great!

Yup. That will hunt! :)

looks very nice, but way too heavy for me to be humping around. :)
I can always pull the Graco device and lose nearly a pound. Nice to have that option. Not sure I'd want to go a lot lighter than 11.5 for sure with a Lott, but to each his own.

Nice looking Rifle

Hell Shuter,
I had to fast forward to the pictures halfway through the description! Nice rifle! Love those RSM's
Cody

I can always pull the Graco device and lose nearly a pound. Nice to have that option. Not sure I'd want to go a lot lighter than 11.5 for sure with a Lott, but to each his own.

be interesting to see what you think shooting it with the device and without is like. if it does take a pound off then 10.5lbs should fine for a lott. my custom one is a bit over 9lbs and lovely for carrying, and my ruger which was a .375 but bored out and rechambered to lott and barrel taken down to 21 inches feels a little bit heavier, but never weighed it and neither is too bad to shoot. enjoy its a lovely looking rifle and those older rugers feel solid :)

You have love a dressed up Ruger! I have the 458 Lott in Ruger Model #1.
What kind of stock was on it before?

Nice. The weight will really help reduce the felt recoil. I don't like light guns in heavy calibers. Should be a great buffalo gun.

I looked on line but can't seem to find the proper lense covers like you have, where did you find them? thanks

Here's a pic of Wayne's bedding job where he bedded the loose forward RSM recoil lug in permanently. I'm guessing this was difficult to do right. The barrel channel on this "replacement" RSM stock was larger than my barrel profile and had to be "bedded up" to compensate, as you can see. When it's all put together, it's hardly noticeable. The more I look at this rifle, the more I'm impressed with Wayne's work!
IMG_3500.JPG

I looked on line but can't seem to find the proper lense covers like you have, where did you find them? thanks
They are Leupold Alumina flip up covers. The Leupold site tells you which ones fit which of their scopes. If you're unsure, I'd call them and tell them which scope you have, so they can make sure you get the right covers. They're expensive but very nice.

Last edited:
You have love a dressed up Ruger! I have the 458 Lott in Ruger Model #1.
What kind of stock was on it before?
It was the original RSM stock. I just found out that Numrich had a bunch of RSM stocks that they were selling for a great price ($210, I think) so I picked one up. Turned out it was nicer wood, and so I used it for my custom job. Now the factory stock is my spare.

Last edited:
Makes good sense!

They are Leupold Alumina flip up covers. The Leupold site tells you which ones fit which of their scopes. If you're unsure, I'd call them and tell them which scope you have, so they can make sure you get the right covers. They're expensive but very nice.
Thanks I'll get to the Leupold Site

Shuter.................................beautiful rifle. These guns are a great value from Ruger. I bought one at an auction recently, in 416 Rigby. NIB for $1100.............the only thing I wanted at the sale. I like what has been done to your rifle. Especially the front bead. Will try to get same done. I think the weight is perfect. I have never owned a Lott, but have had a couple of 458's and found the recoil at 9-10 lbs to be too excessive......which is why I got rid of them. Did you feel the work was reasonably priced? Thanx for the posts...................................FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SharynSoli

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross