my .470 lang double before and after being restocked and refinished by j roberts gunmakers

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
i bought the rifle as it was being restocked. i had phoned paul up for a quote on a heym, but he told me
about this rifle, and emailed me some pics of the new stock being fitted and i thought what the heck, so ended up spending a little more than i meant to :doh:

470 002.jpg
470 001.jpg
Wood .470 002.jpg
Double rifle 001.jpg
Double rifle 004.jpg
Double rifle 002.jpg
Double rifle 003.jpg
Lang finished 001.jpg
Lang finished 002.jpg
Lang finished 004.jpg
IMG_1045.jpg
IMG_1046.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course I'm jealous. Hope it serves you well. Curious though, why did'nt you let them put a matching piece of timber on the fore-end ?

Super looking rifle!!

thanks pete its still at pauls, havent even shot it yet!

hope its not too long a wait, were looking forward to a report once you do get your hands on it

for paulT , i think it was made in the 20s and sent to kenya. paul roberts is getting me the history, but is recovering from a serious back op so is recuperating at the moment. when i have the info will let you know. it weighs in at 10.8lbs, a little heavier than i would have liked, as i am like you, allergic to carrying heavy rifles around. the barrels are 26inches. i was considering having 2inches removed but decided i wanted to keep them original, it would have also meant having to regulate it again. i dont have a chrony thing and dont reload, so it will be factory federal or hornady , will see how they work. paul bought some old kynoch and kept me some for playing/practicing with.

Very nice rifle!

Beautiful rifle....I'm jealous!! :)

Great rifle. Looks like the stain is about right in the last picture and the difference in wood won't be noticable with the freshened checkering. Not sure I would want to go much lighter than 10 - 10.5 on a .470. Just carry a heavy pipe around with you all off-season! :) Truly a wonderful rifle - congrats. Look forward to hearing how she shoots.

Great rifle. Looks like the stain is about right in the last picture and the difference in wood won't be noticable with the freshened checkering. Not sure I would want to go much lighter than 10 - 10.5 on a .470. Just carry a heavy pipe around with you all off-season! :) Truly a wonderful rifle - congrats. Look forward to hearing how she shoots.

thanks, your right the difference is not that noticeable in the flesh. 10lbs would be nice, my .458lott is maybe just under 9lbs and thats fine, so 10lbs is plenty for a .470 . will let you know how it does when i get my hands on it.

Beautiful rifle!

for paulT , i think it was made in the 20s and sent to kenya. paul roberts is getting me the history, but is recovering from a serious back op so is recuperating at the moment. when i have the info will let you know. it weighs in at 10.8lbs, a little heavier than i would have liked, as i am like you, allergic to carrying heavy rifles around. the barrels are 26inches. i was considering having 2inches removed but decided i wanted to keep them original, it would have also meant having to regulate it again. i dont have a chrony thing and dont reload, so it will be factory federal or hornady , will see how they work. paul bought some old kynoch and kept me some for playing/practicing with.

Spike, you should be very satisfied with that re-furb job. Now you have the very best of both worlds, history and performance.
At 10.8lbs it is well within reasonable carry tolerances, ofcourse a little lighter could have been better but 10.8 is entirely acceptable and it should be very comfortable to shoot at that weight.

Ammo.
Just for you info, there have been a few rumours around regarding failures of the Hornady D.G.X's, though I've been using them for a numbers of years myself (in 458 Lott) with some very impressive results. The semi-flat meplat seems to deliver energy very well and all those that I've used have held up and penetrated well.
If your rifle shoots well with the Hornady ammo your in good shape (I'm actually getting my .500 regulated with it).

Like me you know must wait !!!!

Great pick-up, hope you get it soon.

Are you sure that style are you? I could take it off your hands for a reasonible price....
:p

paulT glad you like it. when i come to the land down under will bring both doubles ! looking forward to it, but will have to be one of your trophy hunts with the extra 20 buff added on !! :D but of course as we on here i have to get a deal !!!:laughing:

Are you sure that style are you? I could take it off your hands for a reasonible price....
:p

wolverine that depends on the currency you use, i cant remember which scandanavians had the sense to say f--k you to the euro !!:rockon:

paulT glad you like it. when i come to the land down under will bring both doubles ! looking forward to it, but will have to be one of your trophy hunts with the extra 20 buff added on !! :D but of course as we on here i have to get a deal !!!:laughing:

Spike, without a doubt you have a keeper there, so long as it shoots o.k which I'm sure it will.

Our hunts and our buffalo are very much suited to the large bore double rifle scenario, especially so the earlier part of the season. The 9.3, although certainly adequate, is perhaps minimal and I would suggest the .470 as being a far more effective cartridge for this purpose.

Each year I get some hunts that are purely double hunts, as this season I have a few booked with various .500's.
At least from this year on I won't be the odd man out anymore :)
Don't get me wrong, I love my fine bolt guns, and in terms of practicality and effectiveness they are awesome, but there's just something special about hunting with a finely made and well balanced double rifle.

Cheers,

Paul.

View attachment 10602 View attachment 10603 View attachment 10604 View attachment 10605 View attachment 10606 View attachment 10607 View attachment 10608 View attachment 10609 View attachment 10610 View attachment 10611 View attachment 10612 View attachment 10613

i bought the rifle as it was being restocked. i had phoned paul up for a quote on a heym, but he told me about this rifle, and emailed me some pics of the new stock being fitted and i thought what the heck, so ended up spending a little more than i meant to :doh:

What was the labor charge on the stock job, if you don't mind?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg