Muzzle Loading Double Rifles

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders & Black Powder' started by tarawa, Jun 1, 2009.

1. tarawa

tarawa AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    Any one using muzzle loading double rifles on your safaris?
  2. DUGABOY1

DUGABOY1 CONTRIBUTOR AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    Double Rifle Shooter's Society, Life NAHC, NRA,SCI
    Hunted:
    Us, Canada,Zambia, Zimbabwe, South America
    I have a 58 cal Pedersoli percussion double rifle, but have never shot it!

I bought the rifle because Texas has a resident's public land license that gives residents access to public land like game management areas for the thinning of over populated species, and to hunt nongame animals like wild hogs. The only thing is, I like to hunt with a rifle, especially my double rifles, and these areas are mostly limited to bows, muzzleloaders, or shotguns. I may hunt several river flood plains next yr, with the caplock double rifle!

I have several muzzle loaders but all are replicas of mountain men rifles, or in the case of the double the muzzleloader days in Africa. No scopes or so-called muzzleloaders that are simply bolt action rifle called muzzleloaders! Most of the front loaders in my battery are used with real black powder, which I simply hate to clean! So I haven't used any of them in yrs.

Guess I'll have to blow a little smoke out the muzzles next yr!:confused:
  3. tarawa

tarawa AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    I have two of the Pedersolis, a .58 and a .72. I will shoot the .72 for the first time this week to see if it is what I want to take on a hog hunt next week. I got the .58 on a trade. The .72 has shorter barrels and seems to fit me better, so I think I will put the .58 up on the classifieds here. I think the .72 will be a great hunting gun, if I can get the right loads figured out. I will start with about 110 grains and a slightly hardened patched round ball and see where it shoots. Then I will start increasing or decreasing the charge by 10 grains to bring it into somewhat of a regulation. Then fine tune it.
  4. Xpraetor

Xpraetor AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, NHA, USSA, QF, CCA, NOGA, SCI,
    tarawa,
    Did you ever get the powder load figured out for your .72 cal o/o? If so would consider sharing?
  5. tarawa

tarawa AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    I will be casting some new conicals shortly. I was reading some articles about using a FFFg powder instead of an FFg for better regulation. I will post my results...good or bad.