Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI,DSC,NRA,DRSS
Hunted
North America, South America, South Africa
I will start this thread. Let me first start out and say I own one rifle with a muzzle break on it... a 378 WBY... but on the 460 thread I saw where people were crapping on the muzzle break. I think they have a place. On my 378, you just cannot shoot it without it. It tips the scale at 7.7 lbs (my one carbon fiber barreled gun) and is a beast, but I dont get off where, if you can shoot a gun with one are not.

Most guided hunts I've been on the tracker or guide moves behind you when you get ready to fire.

Also the muzzle blast from lets say a breaked 416 is no worse than a 500 nitro double or a 470-- so what is the beef. I think this is another excuse for people to bitch.

My other bitch is that who is paying for the hunt (the guide or trackers--I think not), and if it is reasonable and helps the shooter shoot straight then by all means go for it. I would like my clents shoot well, and find their game--than me track it all over the country. I know I will hear all sorts off different OP but thats how I feel. I guided deer and hog hunter for 5 years while in high school and college. Am I hard of hearing? Yes! But I dont think that is from the clients I had shooting muzzle breaks.

The Peanut Gallery is open!

Ed

I will start this thread. Let me first start out and say I own one rifle with a muzzle break on it... a 378 WBY... but on the 460 thread I saw where people were crapping on the muzzle break. I think they have a place. On my 378, you just cannot shoot it without it. It tips the scale at 7.7 lbs (my one carbon fiber barreled gun) and is a beast, but I dont get off where, if you can shoot a gun with one are not.

Most guided hunts I've been on the tracker or guide moves behind you when you get ready to fire.

Also the muzzle blast from lets say a breaked 416 is no worse than a 500 nitro double or a 470-- so what is the beef. I think this is another excuse for people to bitch.

My other bitch is that who is paying for the hunt (the guide or trackers--I think not), and if it is reasonable and helps the shooter shoot straight then by all means go for it. I would like my clents shoot well, and find their game--than me track it all over the country. I know I will hear all sorts off different OP but thats how I feel. I guided deer and hog hunter for 5 years while in high school and college. Am I hard of hearing? Yes! But I dont think that is from the clients I had shooting muzzle breaks.

The Peanut Gallery is open!

Ed
I for one would rather have my shoulder take a beating than my ears. There is a guy that I know that used to have a .308 with a muzzle brake and every time he fired it almost would pierce your eardrums! And I'm talking even when you were wearing earmuffs. He eventually had the barrel cut because of this. If I needed a muzzle brake for a rifle to handle the recoil, I would rather sell the rifle.

BTW, I also dislike muzzle brakes because htey look ugly as crap, IMHO.

I guess I started the muzzle break conversation on the other thread so I will chime in. I had my .375 ported, which is essentially the same thing, and took it to Africa. Yes, the usual deal is for the trackers to drop away but the PH is standing right there. Also, in the leopard blind or thick stuff there is often no way to get directly behind. I am not wearing earplugs while hunting. In the thick bush there are simple too many sounds to enjoy and look out for while hunting. Most of the time you first learn of nearby elephant by the cracking of branches while they feed. It is not in my best interest to not be able to gather this info. It also reduces the communication within our group to hand signals which are not that clear. So, here I am walking around with a rifle that will make my ears ring when I shoot it and will possibly hurt someone. I saw a tracker with a ruptured retina from a .478 wthby with a break. True, I am paying the bill but I still do not want to hurt anyone, especially some guy without access to medical treatment. I had the porting cut off and now I love my little short .375.

oh, and they look ugly, and they add weight to the end of the barrel. As someone said above, if you cant handle the caliber recoil go down a size or two. my .02 cents.

I guess I started the muzzle break conversation on the other thread so I will chime in. I had my .375 ported, which is essentially the same thing, and took it to Africa. Yes, the usual deal is for the trackers to drop away but the PH is standing right there. Also, in the leopard blind or thick stuff there is often no way to get directly behind. I am not wearing earplugs while hunting. In the thick bush there are simple too many sounds to enjoy and look out for while hunting. Most of the time you first learn of nearby elephant by the cracking of branches while they feed. It is not in my best interest to not be able to gather this info. It also reduces the communication within our group to hand signals which are not that clear. So, here I am walking around with a rifle that will make my ears ring when I shoot it and will possibly hurt someone. I saw a tracker with a ruptured retina from a .478 wthby with a break. True, I am paying the bill but I still do not want to hurt anyone, especially some guy without access to medical treatment. I had the porting cut off and now I love my little short .375.

oh, and they look ugly, and they add weight to the end of the barrel. As someone said above, if you cant handle the caliber recoil go down a size or two. my .02 cents.
Well said Rastaman!

While I agree with most of what is said, I still say that muzzle brakes have harmed very few folks, and most guys on calibers 458 or larger need one.

I have or have owned-- 505 Rimless mag, 500 Jeffery,458 Lott,458 win mag, 500 A-square-- all could have had a muzzle brake and they would have been more shootable.

The best way to take away recoil is weight and stock design-- but I stand by what I say a muzzle break is a option.

While I agree with most of what is said, I still say that muzzle brakes have harmed very few folks, and most guys on calibers 458 or larger need one.

I have or have owned-- 505 Rimless mag, 500 Jeffery,458 Lott,458 win mag, 500 A-square-- all could have had a muzzle brake and they would have been more shootable.

The best way to take away recoil is weight and stock design-- but I stand by what I say a muzzle break is a option.
The muzzle brake is an option, just not for me. I like to shoot my rifles a lot and if I had a muzzle brake my ears would not permit it.

. . . but I stand by what I say a muzzle break is a option.

Not only is a muzzle brake a modern day available 'option', clearly it is also a 'choice'. One chooses to have this available option installed on their rifle or to have the muzzle remain free from the device. Generally speaking sporting rifles 'need' actions and barrels, they do not 'need' a muzzle brake.

I personally think a muzzle brake is an unnecessary ear shattering device. If someone thinks otherwise so be it. But call the muzzle brake what it is; a choice rather than a necessity.

Not only is a muzzle brake a modern day available 'option', clearly it is also a 'choice'. One chooses to have this available option installed on their rifle or to have the muzzle remain free from the device. Generally speaking sporting rifles 'need' actions and barrels, they do not 'need' a muzzle brake.

I personally think a muzzle brake is an unnecessary ear shattering device. If someone thinks otherwise so be it. But call the muzzle brake what it is; a choice rather than a necessity.

I was going to reply to this thread, decided not to..............then decided I would and now I see that Big 5 has cut to the chase and said what needed to be said. Right on the money!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rugermagnum

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,