Mrs/observer/planner

ila

Reaction score
We are looking at trip to SA and would like to do hunt and general travel (ie Cape Town and photo safari/lodge--pkg deal that includes airfare and accomodations for this portion of trip)--would love insight from someone that has done both. I am concerned with transport of gun(s) for non hunting part of trip. We are planning on about 16 days. Whole process seems quite overwhelming, choosing outfitter, animals, bring gun or use theirs, transportation etc....

Welcome to the site. You have come to the right place for answers.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Ila !

Welcome to AH! Take one thing at a time and ask questions. Everyone is pretty friendly.

ila Welcome to AH.
The process can look daunting for any newbie.
If you are trying to learn it all in a few weeks it sure will be.

When are you planning your trip?

On the firearm touring issue:
We traveled for three weeks after all the hunting was done and had to deal with the firearms issue as well.
We made an arrangement to have the firearms delivered to us at the airport after being picked up at the lodge where we stayed. They were delivered to hand at the airport and kept safe for the touring portion in a licensed individuals hands.

We are looking at trip to SA and would like to do hunt and general travel (ie Cape Town and photo safari/lodge--pkg deal that includes airfare and accomodations for this portion of trip)--would love insight from someone that has done both. I am concerned with transport of gun(s) for non hunting part of trip. We are planning on about 16 days. Whole process seems quite overwhelming, choosing outfitter, animals, bring gun or use theirs, transportation etc....

Welcome to AH the right outfitter can arrange rifle storage seeing that you will be flying out via Johannesburg again pickup can be done after your capetown trip, drop off of the fire arm can be done on the day of arrival in SA, no major concerns on the rifle side all should be smooth sailing.

The best would be to find an outfitter that will arrange all from tickets to rifle importation all inclusive be sure to get a COMPLETE break down on all safari costs involved as well as non hunting, are dinners, breakfast and lunches included? Outfitter should list all.

Old saying goes from Leopard to Laundry they sort it all...

My best always.

Welcome to AH Ila! good luck with your planning sounds like fun.

You chose the right site.
My wife and I toured and hunted in much the same way that you are proposing. We chose an outfitter that covered all the bases for us. I did a lot of research and found that these extra services didn't cost me any more than if I had done them myself.
We arrived in Capetown and spent a few days at a hotel booked by our outfitter. We were even picked up at the airport. We had some of our own ideas and took some of the outfitters suggestions. We toured wine country, dove with the great white sharks, saw the cape of good hope and cape point and drove the garden route (Incredibly scenic). We were picked up in Port Elizabeth at the end of our tour and hunted the Eastern Cape and the Karoo for a week. My wife hunted with me some days and toured on others. We were quoted accurately and payed for it all at the end of our trip. No surprises. We rented a gun because we didn't want the extra charges that Air Canada adds to your bill ($75 per airplane) If we had chosen to bring our own firearms, our outfitter could have arranged to have them picked up and stored at the lodge.
This is what we did and it worked for us. There are tons (or tonnes if you are european or Canadian) of options. I would suggest that you find an outfitter that you like the sounds of, and feel him out for suggestions. If you want to PM me I can give you the name of our outfitter. There are also lots of S African guys on this site. If I didn't already have a great guy that I have hunted with several times I think I would give Jaco Strauss a line. He seems very professional and is always helpful to all who ask for educated advice. He seems to know everyone and is always positive and inoffensive.
Good luck with your search and don't be intimidated by all the things that you think you need to know. There is lots of help available here.
Cheers, Mike

ila I seen this ad in the Safari times and it made me think of you, you may want to take a look at their site Cape Town Hunting Safaris :: Home it seem right in line for what your looking for.

Welcom to the forum. You have a great time and take plenty of pictures, then share them with us. Have fun and good luck.

Hi Ila,

Welcome to the forum, all your queries would be answered here ...

All the best

Monish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg