Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Pretty scary lack of control being demonstrated. I hope the Safari concessions are fairing better.

"Maputo — Mozambique's elephant population has fallen by almost half in the last five years, due to massive poaching.

An elephant census was undertaken in 2014, as part of Mozambique's commitments as a signatory to CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species), and a report on the census was delivered on Tuesday to the weekly meeting of the Council of Ministers (Cabinet).

Speaking to reporters after the meeting, the Minister of Land, Environment and Rural Development, Celso Correia, said that, in the five years since the previous census, the number of elephants in the country has fallen by 48 per cent.

Correia pledged that the government will do all in its power to reverse the situation over the next two years, while the conservation areas also play their key role of promoting the development of local communities.
He added that, under a joint initiative between his ministry and the Mozambican police (PRM), a special force has been set up to police the conservation areas.

The Minister gave few details, but promised that the census report will soon be made public. The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS), which collaborated in the census, was less reticent. It said the number of elephants in Mozambique has declined from just over 20,000 in 2009 to around 10,300 in 2014.

“Organised criminal gangs are decimating Mozambique's biodiversity and undermining governance in remote border areas”, says a WCS report. “This is destroying one of the key development options for local communities and regional government in these remote, wild areas where wildlife thrive”.

Most of the losses occurred in the northern provinces of Niassa and Cabo Delgado, where the elephant population fell from around 15,400 to 6,100. The Niassa National Reserve, the largest conservation area in the country.

Ninety-five percent of the total loss occurred in northern Mozambique where the elephant population declined from an estimated 15,400 to an estimated 6,100. Niassa National Reserve was hardest hit. Here the number of elephants fell from around 12,000 to an estimated 4,440. In the census, 43 per cent of all elephants seen in the Niassa Reserve were carcasses.

In the Quirimbas National Park, in Cabo Delgado, the elephant population is small, at just over 600 animals, but the WCS reports “significant poaching, with 45% of all elephants seen on the survey dead”.

The decline in the western province of Tete, and in the Limpopo National Park in the south is less severe. Nonetheless, over the past five years 20 per cent of the animals have gone, leaving 1,600 elephants in Tete and 1,100 in the Limpopo Park and other southern areas.

The one bright spot is that in Sofala province elephant populations are slowly increasing - to 535 in the Gorongosa National Park and 600 in the Marromeu Special Reserve.

Most of the poachers decimating elephant populations in the north come from Tanzania. The government therefore hopes to work with the Tanzanian authorities to staunch the poaching.

On Monday Correia and the Tanzanian Minister of Natural Resources and Tourism, Lazaro Nyalandu, signed an agreement in Maputo on protecting the vast cross-border conservation area that covers the Niassa Reserve and Tanzania's Selous Reserve, and area of around 15,000 square kilometers."

http://allafrica.com/stories/201505280255.html

Sad deal. I read those articles on the poaching in the Selous, and it was pretty grim. Many Elephants travel back and forth across the Niassa, and into Tanzania. The Lukwika area of Tanzania, along the border with Mozambique, is said to be one of the best areas for big bulls. Either way, the rampant poaching everywhere is a losing situation for the Elephant. I imagine it takes many years for a Bull Elephant to reach an age where it can be harvested by sportsman.

In 2011 I hunted in the Selous area and it was sad to see all the Elephant,s that was poached. I now that SCI is trying to help stop the poaching,I hope that it come,s to a stop before it,s to late. John
hing

Does anybody know what the substantial population should be in Niassa for example? Just trying to figure out how bad this is in the long term. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the poaching is ok, it isn't. Just don't know if the previous 15k elephants was a good population, already not enough, or too many.

They need to legalize ivory and rhino horn trade. This will stop the poachers dead in their tracks IMO. They will no longer have a market when it can be purchased legally. Does anyone know how they get the ivory out if the country?? Maybe airlines should have some sort of paperwork to export, if they don't already?

heres a perfect chance for the anti hunting orgs, to show the whole world , where there stratagies and money ,can do some thing to save a populatation ......
Maybe they could put the boots on the ground that is so urgently needed

. Does anyone know how they get the ivory out if the country?

using any method their devious minds can come up with......sawn into short lengths and put into luggage, hidden in timber shipments, hidden compartments in containers etc, etc ...........and i have heard in moz they just take it straight out to the big ships in speedboats/smaller boats, dont know how true.

What a about natural migration between countries, with no physical obstructions apart from rivers in certain cases Elle can move freely to Malawi, Tanzania, South Africa and Zimbabwe, Zambia.

Would be interesting to receive figures from countries bordering mentioned provinces: ie. Tete - Malawi - Zambia - Zimbabwe...

Niassa - Malawi - Tanzania.

I am not doubting the research, as I am fully aware through first hand experience of the devastation of ivory poachers, but slightly intrigued as to wether research is compared.

My best always

If you have the right connections, you can just drive up to port and ship the tusks in a container :E Red Hot:

using any method their devious minds can come up with......sawn into short lengths and put into luggage, hidden in timber shipments, hidden compartments in containers etc, etc ...........and i have heard in moz they just take it straight out to the big ships in speedboats/smaller boats, dont know how true.
Unreal...

heres a perfect chance for the anti hunting orgs, to show the whole world , where there stratagies and money ,can do some thing to save a populatation ......
Maybe they could put the boots on the ground that is so urgently needed
Great idea...But only in the land of OZ...The anti don't have any money left after they pay themselves and all the anti hunting propaganda they have to spread.

Strange that , hey johnny"..........

What a about natural migration between countries, with no physical obstructions apart from rivers in certain cases Elle can move freely to Malawi, Tanzania, South Africa and Zimbabwe, Zambia.

Would be interesting to receive figures from countries bordering mentioned provinces: ie. Tete - Malawi - Zambia - Zimbabwe...

Niassa - Malawi - Tanzania.

I am not doubting the research, as I am fully aware through first hand experience of the devastation of ivory poachers, but slightly intrigued as to wether research is compared.

My best always

Always like to see research replicated.

I was looking for the CITES quota for Moz this year and they have not set it as yet.
CITES said they are awaiting data from the government.
Maybe they are out counting right now!

This appears to be the research, or part of it.
Models and estimates from Biennial surveys.

I did not purchase the article to determine the true population numbers from the surveys.

Elephant poaching in Niassa Reserve, Mozambique: population impact revealed by combined survey trends for live elephants and carcasses

Vernon R. Bootha and Kevin M. Dunhama
a1 9 Glenara Avenue North, Highlands, Harare, Zimbabwe
a2 PO Box CH385, Chisipite, Harare, Zimbabwe

Abstract
Trends in the populations of large herbivores in Niassa Reserve, Mozambique, have been monitored through biennial aerial surveys since 1998. The elephant Loxodonta africana population has been subjected to intensive illegal hunting since 2006. We used a simple population model to mimic the observed trends in the numbers of live and dead elephants to demonstrate the impact of poaching. The number of fresh or recent carcasses recorded was used in the model as an index of the annual mortality rate. A maximum likelihood analysis to compare population models revealed that the best fit to the survey estimates of both live elephants and old or very old carcasses was a model that started with 6,635 elephants in 1987. This number increased through births by 4.6% annually and decreased through deaths from natural and anthropogenic causes. In the best-fit model, the mean mortality rate in any year was 3.2 times the observed 1 + 2 carcass ratio (ratio for carcasses in age categories 1 and 2), and carcasses remained visible for a mean of 6 years. The model suggested that c. 900 elephants were poached during 2007–2010 and another c. 1,000 during 2011. Population estimates for live elephants and carcasses are now routine outcomes of aerial surveys conducted as part of the CITES programme for Monitoring the Illegal Killing of Elephants, and our method can be applied to any population with a time series of estimates for live and dead elephants.

Source:
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=9384248

Poaching in definitely taking place in the North of Niassa and Cabo Delgado. But I don't think the figures that have been posted are correct. @Jaco , I don't think any elephant will cross from Niassa to Malawai, you can clearly is the border, on the malawi side there isn't a single tree or bush. But I will agree with you that the elephant have moved, my area is south of the reserve and Cabo, the elephants have definitely moved south to get away from the poachers. I have a had a clear increase of elephant on my area. I hope that the government will give us help, but won't hold my breath.

Those are old numbers. It was just interesting how the population moved up so significantly in a short time around the Niassa.

Just makes me wonder.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lyn302587

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois