ss.globalrescue.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Grand Slam Club/Ovis
Mount Everest Claims Four Lives in Four Days
MON, MAY 23

After curtailed climbing seasons due due to disasters in 2014 and 2015, the world's tallest peak has claimed four victims in as many days to begin the 2016 season.
USA Today spoke with Global Rescue CEO Dan Richards about this weekend's Everest tragedies:

http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/mount-everest-claims-four-lives-in-four-days-691328579567

Mount Everest's "death zone" claimed three lives in three days over the weekend while two other climbers remained missing Monday on the crowded, treacherous mountain.

The tragedies heightened concerns once again about the dangers of climbing the world's tallest mountain, a behemoth reaching more than 29,000 feet into the Asian sky on the border of Nepal and Tibet.

Relatively good conditions so far this year have brought large numbers of summit hopefuls to the mountain the Nepalese call Sagarmāthā, which loosely translates to "forehead in the sky." Scores of climbers have managed to reach the summit in the past few days.

635995893285424783-AP-Nepal-Everest.jpg

Among them was the first combat amputee to climb the mountain, Marine Corps veteran Thomas Charles "Charlie" Linville, 30, who lost his leg to an IED in Iraq in 2011. Another combat amputee, former Army reservist Chad Jukes, 32, is attempting to follow Linville to the top.

Reaching the peak of Mount Everest is no small feat for even the most daring climber. Here's why.
USA TODAY

Good conditions, however, draw crowds. That can mean climbers lined up at dangerous altitudes, waiting their turn to reach the summit. Dan Richards runs Global Rescue, which has evacuated a dozen or more climbers from Everest since the 2016 season began last month.

"What you are seeing this year is pent-up demand," Richards told USA TODAY. "Everest has become very much a commercial enterprise, but it's not like every climbing group is coordinating with every other group. You can end up with congestion. There is traffic on Everest."

Indian climber Subhash Paul died Sunday while being helped down the mountain by Sherpa guides one day after reaching the summit. Two other Indian climbers lost contact with their group and disappeared Saturday on slopes in the “death zone" — an area starting at about 26,000 feet, where the air is too thin to sustain life. Hopes for their survival were fading.

Late Friday, Eric Arnold, 35, a Dutchman from Rotterdam, had reached the summit on his fifth attempt just hours before his death. Early Saturday, Australian climber Maria Strydom, 34, who was trekking with her husband, also died while descending the mountain.

The recurring theme was altitude sickness. Reaching the top, while exhilarating, is not enough. The climb down can be treacherous as exhausted climbers race the clock and sometimes weather on icy, treacherous routes.

"Many climbers without any experience crowd Everest every year, and companies often use poor quality equipment... offering cheap packages to clients who are exposed to security risks," Nepal Mountaineering Association Chief Ang Tshering Sherpa told Reuters.

Massive tragedies in recent years have put an economic crunch on the climbing industry. At least 18 people died last year when an earthquake sent a massive snow slide roaring through Base Camp, abruptly ending the climbing season. In 2014, an avalanche killed 16 guides and cut the season short.

"The last two disasters on Everest were caused by nature, but not this one," Ang Tshering told AP.

Nepal Mountaineering Department official Gyanendra Shrestha told The Himalayan Times that about 30 climbers have developed frostbite or become sick near the summit in recent days. She said good weather has allowed almost 400 climbers to reach the summit from Nepal since May 11 but added that the altitude, weather and harsh terrain can cause problems at any time. The season generally ends in early June.

"There is a short weather window to actually summit, and people are pushing it," Richards said.
052316-Mt-Everest-Nepal_1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
They never learn.

Quoting my Grandfather: "That's a lot like bear hunting with a switch".

Don't think I can hunt anything there so I'm not going!

Too expensive and dangerous to me.

According to Wikipedia, 280 people have died climbing Everest. The last year that no casualties were reported was 1977.

Marco Polo sheep hunt will always be the gold standard to me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you