Most Under Rated African Trophy

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by D D Safaris, Jun 8, 2011.

1. D D Safaris

D D Safaris AH Member

Member of:
    SCI, Ontario Out of Doors,
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe
    We should get a huge selection out of this.

What is your most under rated African Trophy.

Personally before my first trip I did a lot of research of what trophies I wanted. My father and I had both booked a package with Tarentaalrand Safarai which gave us a large choice of animals.

I had no desire to shoot a Springbuck or Blue Wildebeest from pictures off of the net. But once I saw the very large mount in the lounge at our lodge of a springbuck I had a new appreciation for them. They make a beautiful mount or small rug.

The second animal that pictures do not do justice is Blue Wildebeest, I personally do not think they make a nice shoulder mount but a very impressive European mount and area rug or a throw over the back of a couch, with all the different ways the hair go`s. I like to explain it like those punk kids driving that car that starts purple but turns copper as it passes.

My father got a nice Blue Wildebeest and I got my springbuck it is not very large but I plan on fixing this in September.

Lets hear some more ideas.

Doug
  2. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    I had absolutely no desire to shoot a Warthog. My friend was totally into it and I could not fathom why. Ugly, etc...

Then I saw some video of one running with his tail straight up and going hell bent for territory unknown. That sold it right there.
  3. TOM

TOM AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
    Hunted:
    Africa...are there other continents to hunt?
    Baboon with a bow is still one of the most difficult hunts I've had. I respect them.
  4. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Probably the small antelopes. Like a very long steenbok!

I think anyone that gets a vaal rhebok with a bow and arrow....should get a gold metal!
  5. TERMINATOR

TERMINATOR AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA (Life), EX Member Safari Club Intl
    Hunted:
    USA (Michigan, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, Nebraska), Namibia, Texas (Ya'll do realize Texas is a country right) and R.S.A.
    Mtn Reedbuck becaue it is small but lives in rougher country requiring climbing and shooting skills.

Bushbuck also. Like mini-Nyala. Bushbuck is something I really desire on my next trip. Few people, including me hunt them on their first safari but now I am into the spiral horns and a Nyala and Bushbuck are my two "gotta haves" next trip.
  6. D D Safaris

D D Safaris AH Member

Member of:
    SCI, Ontario Out of Doors,
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe
    Hi Terminator

I added Nyala to he wish list last year, we happened to come along a stand off between 2 bulls, the entire main and back hari of one of them stood on end, very cool.
    Brickburn mentioned warthog, came across a mama and a pack of piglet while stalking a very nice Impala watching the young ones dart around was quite interesting, the video was one of my kids favorite, they also like the footage of my guide and myself trying to look like a gemsbuck with the shooting sticks up in front of us across about 150 yards of wide open terrain, unfortunately bless buck are not that stupid.
  7. BRICKBURN

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Poomba (sp?), no wonder it was the kids favourite.
    Nyala is not an under rated trophy for me. It is right on top.
  8. KMG Hunting Safaris

KMG Hunting Safaris SPONSOR AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    PHASA ; SCI ; DSC ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand
    Eric, if someone gets a Vaal Rhebok with a bow and arrow, i'll vote for them in the presidential elections.
  9. TERMINATOR

TERMINATOR AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    USA (Michigan, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, Nebraska), Namibia, Texas (Ya'll do realize Texas is a country right) and R.S.A.
    Me too. I was claiming the Bushbuck to be under rated. The Nyala is popular but lots of people don't really target Bushbuck until at least their 2nd safari
  10. fhm3006

fhm3006 AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Namibia / South-Africa
    Tom i agree...wary / hunted baboons must certainly be one of the most difficlult trophies to gather with a bow - even with a rifle (from my experience).

Especially the troop's alpha male !
    Just don't know if baboon trophies are allowed to be exported / imported from S/Africa to USA.

Check out below picture - imagine a trophy like this in your home...impressive really !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  11. BRICKBURN

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Sounds interesting!
  12. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Vaal rhebok has alway had my respect!
  13. ndbwhnter

ndbwhnter AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa
    Zebra with archery equipment. When I went over last year, a lot people said, "Why do you want to shoot a horse?" When these animals were coming into the water hole, they were by far the most skittish - even more-so than the impala where we were hunting. Probably one of my favorite trophies from Africa. I get to pick up the tanned hide this Sunday. Don't know if I will make it into a rug yet. Here is a pic.

nd

2011-06-07_11-42-01_91.jpg
  14. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan South Africa
    Just got back 3 weeks ago. My top 2 animals were the Nyala and Bushbuck. Hunted East Cape. The Ph's comment was that they were 2 of the hardest animals to hunt in that region. One of the PH's said that Bushbuck was all he wanted to hunt when he had the opportunity. Loved the challenge. Bruce
  15. sestoppelman

sestoppelman SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa (2)
    On my list for June in Zim (about a week actually) is spotted hyena. Wanted one for the last 3 trips only to find out when I got there that it wasnt really in the cards, just on the trophy list. Good chance this time or so it appears. One of the more difficult animals to get now is sitatunga. I was very fortunate to take a decent one in Botswana in 1990 but they are closed now or were last I heard. Available in Zambia, Tanzania, Uganda and western sitatunga in other countries to the north. A fine trophy. It is my most valued animal.
  16. Red Leg

Red Leg GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI NRA DSC life memberships
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada
    Hartman Zebra in their native mountain habitat. One of the coolest hunts in southern Africa.
  17. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    I agree a sitatunga is underrated! And a hyena is super high on my list too.
  18. TERMINATOR

TERMINATOR AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    I have to admit that the Hartman Zebra was the toughest hunting I did in Namibia.
  19. INGOZI

INGOZI AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    ABO, SCI, SABA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Zambia, United States
    After hunting hard for them once again this past week I have to add Impala to the list, they are a very common specie in South Africa and not nearly as glamorous as the other, but when hunted on foot they make for a wondefull challange.
  20. James.Grage

James.Grage GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa
    I hardest trophy to get is the one you have put extended time and effort into and came up short through no fault of your own.

Once you have one spotted you will walk past dozen of average animals to obtain the trophy you spotted.

Example: We were moose and caribou hunting and two monster bull moose walked into our area. Now the smaller of the two was shoot-able many times over the next few days, (the season was 5 days long with a 50 inch spread minimum) looking to get with in range of the bigger of the two bulls.

Now the bull i turned down would have measure well into the 80inch range. I know what a 80 inch moose looks like as i have an 86 inch right in front of me.

I have done this with antelope, white tail and mule deer over the years...

When you fill your tag you have to wait until next year for another go...I would rather keep looking than take the chip shot so to say...