Most Fun Plains Game to Hunt....?

Ya know, the more of these responses I read the more I think ALL is the correct answer. Some may be more of a challenge, or deeper satisfaction because of a lifelong dream, but they are ALL truly special and I have some type of fond memory from everyone of them.

bingo.........

I think maybe Kudu because my PH and Tracker worked so hard to put me in a position to get a clear shot, A world record, no way but it's My World Record

I think maybe Kudu because my PH and Tracker worked so hard to put me in a position to get a clear shot, A world record, no way but it's My World Record
I know what you mean. My kudu was shot on the last day of my hunt. It included my PH the safari operator 2 trackers, and another hunter that came along for the fun of it. On the first nice kudu that we spotted my PH, the outfitter, and trackers along with myself must of crawled 100 yards to get into position. Then my PH said that we could do better over the objections of the outfitter.......so on we went. To make a longer story short all they did once they came up to the one in my avatar was whistle.

not an easy topic to answer as each hunt is different and in most cases special , but for me impala and wilderbeest are very enjoyable

I could go back and hunt nothing but Blue Wildebeest and be happy as a clam. :D

Interesting comments. I'm now interested in exploring a bushbuck hunt. They were not on my radar before but the hunts seem exciting for many. What's so great about Bushbuck hunts?

Interesting comments. I'm now interested in exploring a bushbuck hunt. They were not on my radar before but the hunts seem exciting for many. What's so great about Bushbuck hunts?

They can be crafty little devils. Certainly the older mature animals.
Although their territorial habits get them in trouble and can make them appear easy to hunt.
Try walk and stalk with a bow.
or for that matter try walk and stalk at all.

In my limited experience they are elusive, live in the thick stuff, they are interesting in looks and habits, and although you may see them when hunting other game they are not easy to locate when you want to shoot one. Pretty much like a bunch of other species, but they seem kinda special to me!

That is a really tough question....For me my fondest animal I have taken was a simple Impala. To me it just typifies Africa. Zebra are probably my second favorite. They just always seem tough to hunt.

been thinking about this ,since I read it yesterday
my favourite hunt in south Africa so far would be the mountain rehbuck .
we climbed some big hills and spent lots of time glassing , and watching them all over chikwero, we glassed maybe 60 or more males over several days , while still taking other targets of opportunity
we worked bloody hard for him and id love to go back and do it again
but each and every animal ive been lucky enough to have the opportunity to hunt over there was a different challenge , and some were a whole lot harder than others , but when artemis smiles , you don't say no .

For me it's Kudu and warthog...
I think another will be Waterbuck once I shoot one! Lol

I once was sitting on the edge of a South Africa canyon, looking down to the general area where I had last seen the Tracker, PH and Client (I was doing odd jobs for the safari company and not hunting that particular time).
As I was glassing the bottom of said canyon, I saw a mature bushbuck ram lay down on his belly and crawl, (like a dog might do when begging for table scraps), across a clearing through approximately knee high grass that covered the floor of said clearing.
He kept his nose slightly up, presumably so his horns would lay down near his back, therefore no part of him would be visible above the grass, for his pursuers to spot.
Soon the three men cautiously emerged from the thick foliage at the beginning edge of said grassy clearing, just in time to see the ram leap from the grass at the far side of the clearing and land safely within the thick foliage where the forest again resumed, not to be seen again.
Very clever the bushbuck.
Perhaps no African antelope is lazy or stupid however, when you have taken a wise old bushbuck by means of proper spot and stalk, you will know you have really done something.

Last edited:
bingo.........
Typical bloody Aussie !!!
Were all dreaming of our favourite hunts and ... and ..
HE WANTS TO PLAY BLOODY BINGO !!!!

honestly though , zebra are my favourite as they were the hardest to hunt .
6 days hard yards then shot 2 awesome stalions .
Cant wait to hunt them again , wifey agrees !
africa - 368.jpg

My favorites are Kudu, Gemsbok, Waterbuck, Eland, Zebra, Blue Wildebeest, Nyala, Baboon, Warthog, Black Backed Jakal and Blesbok.

For now.....

;)

................when you have taken a wise old bushbuck by means of proper spot and stalk, you will know you have really done something.

Here, here!!

I have to say there were two animals that eluded me while I was there. We ran out of time and I was tapped out on what I could afford to hunt for that trip. One was black wildebeest and the other was bushbuck. Oh well, there's always next trip. It's probably a good thing I didn't happen across one or both at the end of the trip because I don't know if I have the self control to have stayed off the trigger! That's the kicker in Africa is I want one of everything!!!
I would like to take all the Southern Spiral Horns as well as a wildebeest slam. I have a white bearded gnu and a eland so let's see that leaves a common blue wildebeest, black wildebeest, brindled wildebeest, kudu, nyala, bushbuck, and oh ya a sable and hartebeest would be nice too. Let's see did I miss anything? I have a gemsbok, Impala, and springbok. Sooo now to win the lottery :LOL:

I have to say there were two animals that eluded me while I was there. We ran out of time and I was tapped out on what I could afford to hunt for that trip. One was black wildebeest and the other was bushbuck. Oh well, there's always next trip. It's probably a good thing I didn't happen across one or both at the end of the trip because I don't know if I have the self control to have stayed off the trigger! That's the kicker in Africa is I want one of everything!!!
I would like to take all the Southern Spiral Horns as well as a wildebeest slam. I have a white bearded gnu and a eland so let's see that leaves a common blue wildebeest, black wildebeest, brindled wildebeest, kudu, nyala, bushbuck, and oh ya a sable and hartebeest would be nice too. Let's see did I miss anything? I have a gemsbok, Impala, and springbok. Sooo now to win the lottery :LOL:
Please stand away from your bourbon , put your hands in the air , and do not move sir , you have a problem !!!

Please stand away from your bourbon , put your hands in the air , and do not move sir , you have a problem !!!
Lol! It's rum and it's more of a sickness really

They have got to all be special why else would we head out to do what we do.
Grey ghosts and clever bushbuck disappearing warthog are all great and each hunt is an experience on its own.
I hunt them all but for Plains Game a good Impala ram is my most favourite to hunt.
They are as willy as they get. How many people out there only get their good rm after the middle of their safari.
A great Impala ram is on top of my list

Shot Shot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you